U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2016, 11:36 AM

21,159 posts, read 11,761,610 times

Advertisements

It's what made me a Steelers fan and more than that, a football fan. I was a little kid but my Pittsburgh born and raised dad got so excited by this play, I figured whatever he was watching must be pretty interesting, so I started watching too, and got hooked.

Old 04-23-2016, 05:38 PM

32,438 posts, read 26,300,226 times
OP, you re trying to use reason in a rivalry, especially one as bitter as the raiders-steelers rivalry. and reason doesnt fly with he fans. and that is one of the beauties of a rivalry game, that and the unpredictability of course of the game as well.

you can have one team in the rivalry being at the top of the league, and the other team at the very bottom. one undefeated, one win less, an you cannot predict how the game will go. yes on paper the top team should win easily, but often times the win less team ends up with a victory.

Old 04-25-2016, 10:49 AM

10,577 posts, read 7,270,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBJ View Post
1. It wasn't the game that decided who goes to the Superbowl

2. That Lucky Steelers win never lead to them reaching the Superbowl that year

I mean why should Raiders fans even care about this game when it wasn't even the AFC championship game which determines who goes to the SB. I was watching Football life on the NFL network and there was a special about this game and how Franco Harris has a statute??? A statute for a man whose team lost the next week and never made the SB? To me this is the most over hyped NFL story in NFL history since that miracle win ended up not meaning anything in the long run.
You can't figure out why...

*A long last-second game-winning touchdown pass...
*That was crazily batted around before being caught...
*In which there has always been an intense dispute as to whether or not the catch was legal...
*In a playoff game...
*Between two of the most dominant teams of the 1970s...

...is the stuff of NFL lore?

Seriously?

Well, that's on you. Pretty much everyone else gets it.

Old 04-27-2016, 07:23 AM

10,459 posts, read 5,920,270 times
I have no idea why this thread was started. Who cares what the Steelers ended up doing later in the playoffs? If I was a Raiders fan and I lost a playoff game, or any game for that matter, on a fluke play on 4th and 22 I'd be pissed for decades too. Hell there isn't a Redskins fan over 50 that still isn't pissed off about a Clint Longley bomb with 40 seconds left on a Thanksgiving Day game in the 70's. Some things you never get over because they hurt badly, the other team's results going forward doesn't change the pain.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:41 PM

16,522 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
I have no idea why this thread was started.
Agreed. I should have closed this some time ago, was surprised it was brought up to date. Maybe even from day one. This one's done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or