U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2012, 01:45 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,027,609 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
Listing of teams with a lower average attendance and a lower average % of capacity than Jacksonville at home games (home games are all that matter):
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Arizona
Minnesota
Miami
San Diego
St. Louis
Tampa Bay
Oakland

Let's not let facts get in the way.
The only reason you would get so unnecessarily defensive is if your team is Jacksonville. Even then it's a little much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 03:27 PM

503 posts, read 389,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plates View Post
The only reason you would get so unnecessarily defensive is if your team is Jacksonville. Even then it's a little much.
You call that defensive?
Wow...you must be the type that resorts to name calling when you have nothing to back up your point.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:39 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
I will say this about Jacksonville.

IF they do move, it wont be to Los Angeles. It'll be either St Louis (when the Rams move back) or San Antonio.

Old 12-30-2012, 03:59 PM

1,202 posts, read 1,027,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flem125 View Post
You call that defensive?
Wow...you must be the type that resorts to name calling when you have nothing to back up your point.
Kid, you were being defensive and attacking for no reason, don't play the victim.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:06 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,734,071 times
I don't see any expansion in the NFL's future. If LA or SA will be getting a team - it will be because someone moved. I do think SA can support a team if you place the stadium in New Braunsfels (just NorthEast and outside of SA). This will help draw Austin fans and provide interstate access. The Alamodome is just not going to work and parking downtown would be a nightmare. But, until SA gets a team, I will keep following the Cowboys. It breaks my heart that they have become the NY Yankees of the NFL. SA getting a team will be when I jump ship.

Old 12-31-2012, 08:50 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
A stadium in new braunfils is even worse than a stadium in Arlington. At least Arlington is a short drive between two huge population centers. New braunfils is a small isolated town with no public transportation and it is not that close to SA or Austin.

Arlington only works because the cowboys have been around for 50 years so the fans are going to go to games no matter where the stadium is, and Arlington is a top 50 city populationwise and it is fairly close to many cities. There is nothing close to 40k near new braunfils

Old 12-31-2012, 09:16 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,734,071 times
It will work. All the problems you just names are easily taken care of. Public transpo is just a matter of buses being assigned in that direction. Besides, it doesn't have to be New Braunfels specifically and the location would need to be outside any city limits (or town limits) where there is land to build from scratch. We Texans are used to driving and an hour south from Austin is not a long commute to us. All that is needed is the will, the finiance and the interstate. There are a lot of pluses to building outside of a city limit (easier permits, not having to deal with city politicians and ordinances, etc), but there are its negatives as well. I think it is a general truth that such stadiums need to be in a big city for easy public transpo, but I don't believe this is so in Texas and, for those who insist on public transpo, buses would suffice.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:26 AM

3,111 posts, read 4,906,612 times
After reading through all of the posts, I have a few comments:

1. You shouldn't confine your population figures with state lines. Sure, New York has "3" teams, but you need to include Connecticut and Northern New Jersey in with your figures to determine the true market size. The NYC market is nearly 20 million people. The San Antonio-Austin Market has 4 million, but the Buffalo-Toronto-Rochester market has nearly 8 million.

2. Many teams were established long ago in cities that were once larger than San Antonio. Should they lose their teams just because the area did not grow as fast in the last 50 years? Besides, some of these smaller market teams have very impressive attendance records.

3. Los Angeles did not lose their teams due to lack of fan support, but rather to owner greed. Both teams wanted new stadiums with better leases. Because they didn't get them, the owners moved the teams. Now that Los Angeles has an agreement to break ground on a new stadium on an NFL team is secured, that city has moved to the front of the line for a moved franchise or expansion franchise. L.A.'s situation is much like Houston's and Cleveland's after the Oilers and Browns left. Build a new stadium, get a new team.

4. No owner is going to want to use the AlamoDome. Sure it is a nice facility that is more than adequate for the needs of the game. However, an owner doesn't move his team so that they can play in a 20-year-old stadium. San Antonio will have to build a new, state-of-the-art stadium and give the team a sweetheart lease. That is the way the market is going right now.

Old 12-31-2012, 09:35 AM

18,509 posts, read 28,173,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
It will work. All the problems you just names are easily taken care of. Public transpo is just a matter of buses being assigned in that direction. Besides, it doesn't have to be New Braunfels specifically and the location would need to be outside any city limits (or town limits) where there is land to build from scratch. We Texans are used to driving and an hour south from Austin is not a long commute to us. All that is needed is the will, the finiance and the interstate. There are a lot of pluses to building outside of a city limit (easier permits, not having to deal with city politicians and ordinances, etc), but there are its negatives as well. I think it is a general truth that such stadiums need to be in a big city for easy public transpo, but I don't believe this is so in Texas and, for those who insist on public transpo, buses would suffice.
The need for buses to NB is not there yet. It is just a small strip of population along 35, no way a bus to NB would survive long. Plus once you get there how are you going to get around? Sorry but the stadium would have to be somewhere within San Antonio or one of the closer burbs. 35 is a mess already. Would be awful along 35.

San Antonio and Austin is not like dfw. People try to make it like dfw but it's no where near the same. There is a million people living between the two cities. There is a small strip of people living between Sa and Austin. They are close by Texan standards but it will take 50 years before they act like a metro. Btw either city can support a team, but the joint thing is over blown. Just put the stadium near the quarry or la Cantera and be done with it.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 AM

2,478 posts, read 4,869,342 times
No, 3 would over saturate the market here. Not a good example, but Florida has 3 teams, all with poor fan support. "selling out" is a bit misleading. There have been several occasions where the Cowboys have failed to sell out in the past decade where Jerry Jones or Kroger or someone else purchased bulk tickets to avoid a blackout. I'm sure other teams have done this. Winning is part of it, but there are other things to consider. I'll use Florida as an example. Florida has a large Senior population. It's where all the retired snowbirds go, there or Arizona. Seniors don't support the NFL. Wrong demographic. You'll notice that despite Tampa being in the hunt up until they imploded towards the end of the season, their attendance was terrible this year. Even in years where they were a playoff team they have not done well support wise. Jax is on the verge of being relocated. Miami has struggled with support for years. Too many teams in that state.
Texas has a strong High School and College Football following. Much stronger than NFL in my opinion. I think another NFL team would be a mistake. A team in San Antonio would end up being the next Jacksonville.

I would like to see some teams that are in small markets moved to better markets (and not LA), like one of the Florida franchises to Portland, Toronto, or another. LA has had more than one opportunity and failed each time. There is too much to do in LA, too many teams already to support to add yet another team. Vegas, won't ever happen due to gambling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or