U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 08:10 AM

4,284 posts, read 3,762,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankhharu View Post
No, 3 would over saturate the market here. Not a good example, but Florida has 3 teams, all with poor fan support. "selling out" is a bit misleading. There have been several occasions where the Cowboys have failed to sell out in the past decade where Jerry Jones or Kroger or someone else purchased bulk tickets to avoid a blackout. I'm sure other teams have done this. Winning is part of it, but there are other things to consider. I'll use Florida as an example. Florida has a large Senior population. It's where all the retired snowbirds go, there or Arizona. Seniors don't support the NFL. Wrong demographic. You'll notice that despite Tampa being in the hunt up until they imploded towards the end of the season, their attendance was terrible this year. Even in years where they were a playoff team they have not done well support wise. Jax is on the verge of being relocated. Miami has struggled with support for years. Too many teams in that state.
Texas has a strong High School and College Football following. Much stronger than NFL in my opinion. I think another NFL team would be a mistake. A team in San Antonio would end up being the next Jacksonville.

I would like to see some teams that are in small markets moved to better markets (and not LA), like one of the Florida franchises to Portland, Toronto, or another. LA has had more than one opportunity and failed each time. There is too much to do in LA, too many teams already to support to add yet another team. Vegas, won't ever happen due to gambling.
If you want to move the smaller market teams to larger markets you have to include SA in that larger market. San Antonio is already the 9th largest city in the USA and growing. If you throw in the Austin area market as a possibility, you have a good shot. I hear what you are saying, but there are only so many large cities to go around before you have to start with metro-areas/dual or tri-city plans. SA can do better than Buffalo or Jacksonville. It can prosper if they use the Green Bay model (which, by anyone's standards, is little better than a large town).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,750,173 times
I agree w/some of what you said, but Don't you remember back in the early 80's when the Giants were terrible they only used to get 10-20K people to show up to the stadium? Once they started winning, thats when they continually got the fans in the seats..

The same thing w/the Yankees in the 90's.....

Winning solves ALOT of things....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or