U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,125,768 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
Ouch...poor guy. I wonder if he could really be out of football next year...

Between his drive and ego (i don't mean ego negatively here), i doubt Timmy would want to go somewhere where he'd be the 3rd string QB. That dudes wants to play, and play as a QB. He doesn't seem to be open to becoming a full back or tight end, even though he's built like one.

And I doubt any NFL teams would pick him up and place him any higher than 3rd string on their QB depth chart....which wouldn't float for Timmy.

Maybe its time for him to start his own mega church. "Pastor Tebow." kinda has a ring to it.
If his agent was worth a damn, he'd have Tebow in Canada yesterday, preferably to Montreal where Marc Trestman can work with him for a couple of years. He's not an NFL-caliber quarterback. Rex Ryan is a crappy coach, but he was smart enough to know that much, anyway. He needs a coach who specializes in QB development and some time to, you know, actually develop.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:13 PM

11,724 posts, read 11,557,775 times
Odd enough, McCarthy from Packers who always ran a QB school thought he could do something with Tebow (this wasn't recently but back in Feb. 2010)! He liked his approach, intensity, said, he needs good coaching.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:00 PM

589 posts, read 746,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
If his agent was worth a damn, he'd have Tebow in Canada yesterday, preferably to Montreal where Marc Trestman can work with him for a couple of years. He's not an NFL-caliber quarterback. Rex Ryan is a crappy coach, but he was smart enough to know that much, anyway. He needs a coach who specializes in QB development and some time to, you know, actually develop.

At first, I was thinking that the CFL would be a good fit for Tebow, and where he'd probably end up eventually.

But, then I read an interesting article that argued that Tebow would have an even harder time in the CFL, then he would in the NFL

1. Larger field puts an even greater emphasis on the passing game. (not a Tebow strength)
2. Larger, and wider field means even longer throws to the sidelines, which puts greater emphasis on quick releases and accuracy. Again, not strengths of Tebow's.
3. Only 3 downs in a series instead of 4, means it's it's all about the pass. No team up there is looking for a running QB.

He may be screwed. Either that, or he's going to have to be ready to eat some major crow, and accept a job in the UFL or AFL.

We'll find out in the next few months.

Old 01-10-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
At first, I was thinking that the CFL would be a good fit for Tebow, and where he'd probably end up eventually.

But, then I read an interesting article that argued that Tebow would have an even harder time in the CFL, then he would in the NFL

1. Larger field puts an even greater emphasis on the passing game. (not a Tebow strength)
2. Larger, and wider field means even longer throws to the sidelines, which puts greater emphasis on quick releases and accuracy. Again, not strengths of Tebow's.
3. Only 3 downs in a series instead of 4, means it's it's all about the pass. No team up there is looking for a running QB.

He may be screwed. Either that, or he's going to have to be ready to eat some major crow, and accept a job in the UFL or AFL.

We'll find out in the next few months.
That's why the CFL would be perfect for him. His passing, obviously, is what needs work. He'll get it in the CFL, and if he doesn't progress, then it's time for him to do whatever Tim Tebows do when they can't play football anymore.

Old 01-10-2013, 11:02 PM

13,343 posts, read 17,428,258 times
Quote:
Fullback?!

Fullback is one of the few positions where the Jaguars are actually in pretty good shape.

Tebow couldn't carry Greg Jones jockstrap.

What is it with you Tebow slurpers? You all think that at the NFL level if things don't work out at one position, you can just move over to another?

Clearly, anyone that's suggesting that a position change for Tebow, would be the 'solution', has never really played football above the pee wee level. This is the NFL people! It's not Pop Warner.

Clearly, you are humor-challenged.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:09 AM

589 posts, read 746,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
That's why the CFL would be perfect for him. His passing, obviously, is what needs work. He'll get it in the CFL, and if he doesn't progress, then it's time for him to do whatever Tim Tebows do when they can't play football anymore.

Right. No question it's his passing that needs work.

But, do you think that the CFL teams would be any more willing to 'coach him up' than any of the NFL teams were? I don't know that any of the CFL teams can afford to invest that time and money, any more than the NFL teams. I guess it would really come down to what they think his potential upside is. But, as quickly as the entire NFL is walking away from him, it looks like most of the experts have decided that the upside just isn't there.

I think that even in the CFL, they're looking for guys that already have the basic tools, and may only need a few small tweaks. Tebow's passing definitely needs a lot more, than a few small tweaks. The guys 25 years old now. At this point, I doubt that it's possible to make any meaningful changes in his prolonged delivery, or his accuracy.

I think that he's a guy who's game just isn't suited to the pro passing attacks of today. And the coaches and GM's are all under such pressure to win right away, I doubt any of them wants to go through the time and trouble of putting in an entire new offense, and drafting all the necessary complimentary players to surround Tebow with.

Old 01-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Right. No question it's his passing that needs work.

But, do you think that the CFL teams would be any more willing to 'coach him up' than any of the NFL teams were? I don't know that any of the CFL teams can afford to invest that time and money, any more than the NFL teams. I guess it would really come down to what they think his potential upside is. But, as quickly as the entire NFL is walking away from him, it looks like most of the experts have decided that the upside just isn't there.

I think that even in the CFL, they're looking for guys that already have the basic tools, and may only need a few small tweaks. Tebow's passing definitely needs a lot more, than a few small tweaks. The guys 25 years old now. At this point, I doubt that it's possible to make any meaningful changes in his prolonged delivery, or his accuracy.

I think that he's a guy who's game just isn't suited to the pro passing attacks of today. And the coaches and GM's are all under such pressure to win right away, I doubt any of them wants to go through the time and trouble of putting in an entire new offense, and drafting all the necessary complimentary players to surround Tebow with.
You're probably right. Debating the best way to make Tebow a legitimate QB is really like debating how to turn my dog into my cat.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:45 AM

11,724 posts, read 11,557,775 times
Good one! I still think if he had gotten a good QB coach right when he was drafted, might have worked out better for him. All that went on in Denver last season really didn't do him any favors.

Old 01-11-2013, 12:22 PM

Mike Westhoff, former New York Jets special teams coach, critical of team management - ESPN New York

Now-retired Jets special teams coach spoke out on the Tebow "mess".

Westhoff envisioned Tebow would be used as a combination tight end/halfback/fullback/quarterback and was dismayed to see that his largest role was essentially on special teams after his ribs were fractured in Seattle on Nov. 11. So what happened to the secret offense that was supposed to be so innovative?
"To be honest I don't think anyone ever answered that question, 'Why did we do it?' " Westhoff said. "I honestly don't know. I know we didn't practice it, we didn't practice it in training camp. We were going to unveil it. Well, I'm still waiting for the unveiling. And it didn't happen."

Old 01-11-2013, 01:10 PM

Still my favorite Tebow article: http://www.theonion.com/articles/gro...-target,29210/

Sadly, this might be The Onion's last article on Tebow: Tim Tebow Puts Empty Gatorade Cups In Wildcat Formation On Jets Bench | The Onion - America's Finest News Source
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football