U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2012, 03:03 PM

369 posts, read 805,684 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
I wish the best for Tebow-I hope JAX uses him more than the Jets did...I think Tebow could be an NFL QB with work.

Who's going to want to take him on when he needs as much work as he does? Especially when you can draft smartly and have a 50-50 shot at getting a better QB than Tebow will ever be. Rookie QBs have done pretty well this year, especially in Seattle, Indy and Washington. Even in Miami and Cleveland they've managed to do ok with first-year QBs.

Tebow at QB is not the answer for Jacksonville. If getting a QB is the priority for the franchise, do it through the draft, trade, or free agency.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:08 PM

4,867 posts, read 6,408,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
College =!= The NFL. Troy Davis had a 2,000 yard rushing season at Iowa State and flamed out in the NFL. As far as being the greatest college player ever, that's debatable. I give Archie Griffin that honor.
What is this?

=!=

A players NFL career is irrelevant to his college career. No one can take away what Tebow (or Troy Davis for that matter) did in college.

Old 12-25-2012, 07:30 PM

2,223 posts, read 3,013,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The "gimmick" of Tebow will be short lived if he does not produce results. People will not go to the games on a long term basis for a crappy product.
They don't need Tebow on a long term basis, just until the LA thing comes together.

Old 12-26-2012, 12:10 AM

6,613 posts, read 10,377,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
What is this?

=!=

A players NFL career is irrelevant to his college career. No one can take away what Tebow (or Troy Davis for that matter) did in college.
Sorry, that's the nerd in me coming out. =!= not equal to. Conversely, what someone did in college should not be the barometer for what they're "owed" in the NFL.

Folks think that since Tebow did all these amazing things in college he somehow deserves a shot at being a starting QB. He did some nice things for the Broncos last year, but it wasn't incredible (all 7 of his regular season wins came against teams that finished .500 or below) and it wasn't a long-term recipe for success.

When it comes to his Tebow's potential for success in the NFL, I'm going to lend exponentially more credence to people who live, eat, and breathe the pro game than I am a rabid fanbase filled with jingoistic expressions like "he just wins." Like it or not, he's a hot mess right now, and barring a miraculous turnaround in his passing ability, he will never be taken seriously as a starting QB.

Old 12-26-2012, 06:14 AM

2,982 posts, read 3,991,663 times
I am a displaced Patriots fan living outside of Jacksonville who also supports the Jaguars, and to me the last thing we need now is a Tim Tebow. While he would spark one hell of a fan response the Jaguars have some really deep problems offensively and on defense. We need to fix what we have not create new possibilities. It has been a long time since we have had a go to quarterback that would have given us the opportunity to really build an offense around.

Quote:
Winning just two of 15 games, having 21 players on injured reserve and seeing 85 different players spend time on the active roster. With the current draft situation there is really no one in the draft up front that can help this team with it's needs.

As far as ticket sales go we have not had any blackouts.......but your right, fan support here is almost non existent. Where else can you get tickets to an NFL game for anywhere from $10 to $20 a game. We even had a buy one get one free pitch through our local MWR.

This is a college town...the gear you see people of all ages wearing and on their vehicles is either the Gators or Bulldogs. I think it was a big mistake moving an NFL team here but hopefully over the next 5 to 10 years we grow ourselves into one. The big rumor in Jacksonville is that the Jags will be headed to Europe in about five years. Hope not!

Old 12-26-2012, 07:13 AM

219 posts, read 155,507 times
Good. I hope he sticks it in the Jets and Broncos faces and does well there.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:51 AM

5,812 posts, read 4,286,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
That's my point instead of wasting time going for Tebow, because he's "home grown" and did some good things for his college team.
Maybe they should be focusing purely on getting a legit Qb.
The problem with that is, I don't see this upcomng QB draft class being anything remotely like it was this year. So, I think you go out and you get Tim Tebow AND Alex Smith and you let them battle it out for the starting role. You then can go out and draft a QB - one that you can develop over time and hopefully turn into a good starting QB for the future, but this year's draft is not going to be very good for quarterbacks I'm afraid.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:59 AM

219 posts, read 155,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The problem with that is, I don't see this upcomng QB draft class being anything remotely like it was this year. So, I think you go out and you get Tim Tebow AND Alex Smith and you let them battle it out for the starting role. You then can go out and draft a QB - one that you can develop over time and hopefully turn into a good starting QB for the future, but this year's draft is not going to be very good for quarterbacks I'm afraid.
Why would you get both? It would just be more controversy. Alex Smith is a proven starter, IMO.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:40 AM

23,723 posts, read 33,625,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kryptic View Post
Why would you get both? It would just be more controversy. Alex Smith is a proven starter, IMO.
Also, Alex Smith would have to be a fool to go into Jacksonville with Tebow so he can be a part of ANOTHER QB controversy, this time with Tebowmaniacs added in, waiting to pounce on his back.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 AM

589 posts, read 748,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fy10fyr View Post
Who's going to want to take him on when he needs as much work as he does? Especially when you can draft smartly and have a 50-50 shot at getting a better QB than Tebow will ever be. Rookie QBs have done pretty well this year, especially in Seattle, Indy and Washington. Even in Miami and Cleveland they've managed to do ok with first-year QBs.

Tebow at QB is not the answer for Jacksonville. If getting a QB is the priority for the franchise, do it through the draft, trade, or free agency.

Yes, agree 100%. Tebow would bring the circus to town, with him.

The Jags head coach wants to keep his job. In order to do that, he needs to win. Mularkey doesn't get paid to 'put fans in the seats.' He gets paid to win. If he does that, the fans will come, regardless of who's playing QB. Tebow won't bring wins, so he won't play for Mularkey.

Other than Josh McDaniel, no one in the NFL thinks Tebow can make it as a QB. What does it tell you that Elway dumped him? I'd say that John Elway knows a little bit about playing QB in the NFL. What does it tell you that after Denver dumped him last year, the only teams that wanted him were the Jets and the Jags? That's 2, out of 32 teams. What does it tell you that this year, the only team that wants him is the Jags? Look at the Jags recent history with player evaluations. Probably the worst in the entire league. And now, they're the ONLY team that wants to give him a tryout. I'd say, the fact that the Jags are the only team that wants him, and also are the worst talent evaluators in the league, ought to tell you something.

And I don't want to hear the "he's won wherever he's been' garbage, either. Most NFL players have won wherever they were, leading up to the NFL. That's not unusual.

Look at how much better Denver is this year, with a real QB. They won last year with defense, and in spite of Tebow, not because of him.

Here are the scores of the Denver games last year, with Tebow at QB.
18-15
10-45
38-24
17-10
17-13
16-13
35-32
13-10
23-41
14-40
03-07
29-23
10-45
243-318

When your team is winning games 18-15, 17-10, 17-13, 16-13, and 13-10, it's pretty obvious that the defense deserves more of the credit, than the QB does.

As for him being one of the greatest college players ever, I'd have to dispute that too. During Tebow's time with the Gators, they had more NFL talent, than any other team in college football. Heck, the Gators had so much talent, they won a National title with Chris Leak at QB, and now Leak's been cut by the CFL, and can't even make the Jacksonville Sharks Arena league roster. The point is that just about any average college QB can look good, when he's surrounded by NFL first rounders.

Remember the names Danny Wuerffel, Ron Dayne, Chris Weinke, Eric Crouch, Jason White, Matt Leinart, and Troy Smith? All great college players, all Heisman Trophy winners in the past 16 years, all winners wherever they played, and all total busts in the NFL. Yet, no one's complaining about the raw deal all of those guys got. They all got their shot, and when they couldn't cut it, they were gone. Just because you win in college, doesn't mean you are guaranteed multiple opportunities in the NFL.

Tebow had a nice run in college. He should walk away before he makes everyone forget those glory years, and only remember his gory NFL years.

All the so called experts that are slurping Tebow are doing it because they're Gator fans, or they're religious fanatics who think that 'he's one our own.' There's no common sense behind it. So, Tebow and the circus will come to town, all the Gator fans, and religious fanatics will scream for him to play. Whether he gets to play or not, the experiment will fail, and that will be the final nail in the Jags coffin, on their way out the door to LA, London, or wherever.........

And Tebow can go back to being a Mohel, in the Philippines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football