U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,223 posts, read 2,999,341 times
Reputation: 3365

Advertisements

I would add the modifier "Best Pure Athlete" ever, because ability aside, winning things like championships and mvps and setting all time records is a big factor. But physically, this dude was like an ancient god come to life. That's what a few less-informed people don't seem to get about SEC football dominance: you may find some great players up north, but the only place you find guys like Bo who might never step inside a weight room in their lives but still step on the field and steamroll guys in what is essentially in his mind his #2 sport, is in prime SEC territory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM
 
Location: Center of the universe
24,757 posts, read 33,995,592 times
Reputation: 11780
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
He was a fantastic athlete but he wasnt the best ever. No one who has ever played in the NFL or MLB is the best athlete ever. Football is only played on a professional level within the US and you can play baseball while being in poor physical condition. The world's best athletes are those in Olympic sports such as swimming, gymnastics, cycling, etc. As much as people probably dont want to admit it, the most amazing athletes in the world are female Olympic gymnast.
You have a lot of good points here. While I do not think Bo was the greatest athlete ever, he was in the conversation, as was Jim Brown. I do not think swimmers or cyclists compare to NFL greats, however; though they (and water polo players, and wrestlers and soccer players and basketball players) dwarf the footballers in terms of aerobic capacity and conditioning, they don't have the overwhelming explosiveness or strength that NFL players do.

I do think elite female athletes such as gymnasts are among our planet's greatest, but you can't compare them to elite males.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:36 AM
 
Location: Florida
589 posts, read 746,280 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
I would add the modifier "Best Pure Athlete" ever, because ability aside, winning things like championships and mvps and setting all time records is a big factor. But physically, this dude was like an ancient god come to life. That's what a few less-informed people don't seem to get about SEC football dominance: you may find some great players up north, but the only place you find guys like Bo who might never step inside a weight room in their lives but still step on the field and steamroll guys in what is essentially in his mind his #2 sport, is in prime SEC territory.

Thanks for that insight, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Florida
589 posts, read 746,280 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
You have a lot of good points here. While I do not think Bo was the greatest athlete ever, he was in the conversation, as was Jim Brown. I do not think swimmers or cyclists compare to NFL greats, however; though they (and water polo players, and wrestlers and soccer players and basketball players) dwarf the footballers in terms of aerobic capacity and conditioning, they don't have the overwhelming explosiveness or strength that NFL players do.

I do think elite female athletes such as gymnasts are among our planet's greatest, but you can't compare them to elite males.
I'm unfortunately old enough to remember the days when they held a yearly Superstars competition, to supposedly determine the Worlds best athlete.

Here's the list of winners.
1973, Bob Seagren, Pole Vault
1974, Kyle Rote, Jr. Soccer
1975, O. J. Simpson Football
1976, Kyle Rote, Jr. Soccer
1977, Kyle Rote, Jr. Soccer
1978, Wayne Grimditch, Water Skiing
1979, Greg Pruitt, Football
1980, Charles White. Football
1981, Renaldo Nehemiah. Track and field
1982, Renaldo Nehemiah, Track and field
1983, Renaldo Nehemiah, Football
1984, Tom Petranoff, Javelin
1985, Mark Gastineau, Football
1986, Renaldo Nehemiah, Football
1987, Herschel Walker, Football
1988, Herschel Walker, Football
1989, Willie Gault, Football
1990, Willie Gault, Football
1991, Kelly Gruber, Baseball
1992, Mike Powell, Long Jump
1993, Dave Johnson, Decathlon
1994, Dave Johnson, Decathlon
1995 - 1997: Competition Not Held
1998, Jason Sehorn, Football
1999, Jason Sehorn, Football
2000, Jason Sehorn, Football
2001, Hermann Maier, Alpine Skiing
2002, Bode Miller, Alpine Skiing
2003, Jeremy Bloom, Freestyle Skiing

Based on this list, it's pretty clear that football players certainly deserve consideration as the best all around athletes, with track and field, and surprisingly skiers also worthy of consideration.

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-28-2012 at 09:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 10:14 AM
 
21,581 posts, read 11,635,875 times
Reputation: 12319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondurant View Post
Bo's yardage and touchdown numbers were not all that impressive but his yards per carry was quite high. One has to wonder what his numbers would have looked like had he not split carries with Marcus Allen.
And I wonder how great an NFL career he would have had if he would have given his body a chance to recuperate and regenerate in the offseason instead of playing the grind of a MLB schedule.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 10:18 AM
YAZ
 
Location: Phoenix,AZ
7,078 posts, read 11,857,152 times
Reputation: 6298
What if Bo played hockey?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:59 PM
 
Location: San Antonio, Tx
7,684 posts, read 8,154,375 times
Reputation: 9254
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
What if Bo played hockey?

We would have had two Cam Neely's
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Miami, FL
525 posts, read 578,838 times
Reputation: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
He was a fantastic athlete but he wasnt the best ever. No one who has ever played in the NFL or MLB is the best athlete ever. Football is only played on a professional level within the US and you can play baseball while being in poor physical condition. The world's best athletes are those in Olympic sports such as swimming, gymnastics, cycling, etc. As much as people probably dont want to admit it, the most amazing athletes in the world are female Olympic gymnast.

He sure was. Name me ANY other person who could SNAP bats over their knee and OVER THEIR HEAD LIKE A TOOTHPICK, could run 40 yards in 4.13 seconds ( fastest time ever in NFL) knock over 260 pound linebackers like they were 98 pound women , climb and scale a wall in baseball to catch a ball.


He WAS the most gifted athlete EVER for strength and speed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 PM
 
Location: Howard County, MD
2,223 posts, read 2,999,341 times
Reputation: 3365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Thanks for that insight, Jimmy "The Greek" Snyder.
Actually, thank Grantland.com and NW Missouri St: On Urban Meyer's Ohio State, Wisconsin, and the Big Ten expanding to include Maryland and Rutgers - Grantland



Darn those demographic studies and their folksy racism

BTW, I myself am African American, and my uncle was a teammate of Bo's at Auburn.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,366 posts, read 21,930,528 times
Reputation: 33593
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickSantos View Post
He sure was. Name me ANY other person who could SNAP bats over their knee and OVER THEIR HEAD LIKE A TOOTHPICK, could run 40 yards in 4.13 seconds ( fastest time ever in NFL) knock over 260 pound linebackers like they were 98 pound women , climb and scale a wall in baseball to catch a ball.


He WAS the most gifted athlete EVER for strength and speed.
big deal, Jesse Owens single-handedly defeated the Nazis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top