U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-28-2012, 11:56 PM
 
Location: Florida
589 posts, read 745,334 times
Reputation: 404

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Actually, thank Grantland.com and NW Missouri St: On Urban Meyer's Ohio State, Wisconsin, and the Big Ten expanding to include Maryland and Rutgers - Grantland



Darn those demographic studies and their folksy racism

BTW, I myself am African American, and my uncle was a teammate of Bo's at Auburn.

These stats don't prove your argument. You seem to be claiming that somehow, football players in the South don't need to work as hard in order to be great, that they're just somehow magically better athletes, simply because they were born in the South.

Nothing could be further from the truth.

In fact, just the opposite is true. Because of the better weather in the South, football players there are more able to play outside on a year round basis. So, they actually work harder, and longer on their game, than most Northern climate football players.

That climate advantage has a lot more to do with any gap in football 'talent' than anything else. Add in the fact that football simply is treated more importantly in the South then in other parts of the USA, (which means that it's more likely to attract the best athletes) and you have the full explaination for any perceived regional talent gap.

If what you are claiming was actually true, we would see the same results for all other sports too. But, you know that that isn't true. The South doesn't produce a disproportionate percentage of basketball players. I'll bet that your same study would show a disproportionate percentage of basketball players coming from Northern inner cities, and Indiana and Kentucky. In fact, I would argue that doing the same study for basketball players would give us a far better look at where the best athletes come from, because with basketball being played predominately indoors in the Winter, it does away with any climate advantages that the South might have.

Importance and emphasis on the game has a lot to do with it too. Are better basketball players magically born in Kentucky and Indiana, or does any talent gap have more to do with the emphasis that those States put on the game, and therefore basketballs far greater likelihood of attracting the best athletes from those States?

How about Wrestling? Are all the best wrestlers somehow magically all born in Iowa or Oklahoma? Or is it because the tradition and emphasis that those States have always put on that sport, mean that wrestling will tend to attract the better athletes from these States?

And Baseball? Why does the Caribbean produce a hugely disproportionate percentage of pro baseball players? Climate and emphasis.

What about surfing? Are all those good guys magically borne in Florida and California, or are they all from Florida and Claifornia because the weather there is idea for that particular sport, and the emphais that those States put on that sport is far greater, than in other States.

Water polo, and California
Lacrosse, and the mid Atlantic Coast
Hockey, and the upper midwest
and on and on.......

Your facts and argument are a perfect example of the old saying, "There are lies, damned lies, and then there's statistics."

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-29-2012 at 12:10 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-29-2012, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad58 View Post
Granted Bo was GREAT. Definitely top 10 of all time, but not #1.

These six athletes all had as much or more success, in the 2-3 sports that they each played.

1. Jim Brown- best football player ever, AND best lacrosse player of all time. Probably two generations ahead of his time. Even today, he'd still be one of, if not the biggest and fastest back in the game.

2. Jim Thorpe- One of the best football players ever, Olympic decathlon gold metal winner, pro baseball player with the Yankees.

3. Deion Sanders- Probably a better football player than Bo, (best defensive back ever) a little faster than Bo, and had a longer MLB baseball career, with an All-Star season thrown in. First team all state basketball player in high school, too.

4. Babe Didrikson Zaharias- Gold metal Olympic track athlete, one of the best female golfers in history, and top womens Basketball player. Only reason I don't rank her higher is because of the lack of real competition in womens sports, during her time.

5. Babe Ruth- Best all around hitter of all time, (714 home runs, and a .342 Batting average) AND what many forget, he was one of the best pitchers in history too. Till this day, he still holds some World Series pitching records.

6. Eric Heiden- Won the gold medal in every speed skating distance, at the 1980 Olympics. (500, 1000, 1500, 5000, and 10,000 meters race) Can you imagine if Usain Bolt won not only the 100, and 200 meter dashes, but also the 1500 meter race, and the marathon too? Heiden was also a Champion bicycle road racer, who is in that hall of fame too.

And then you have Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Muhammad Ali, Roger Federer, and Michael Phelps, if you want to lean towards total domination of only one sport.

Lets not forget Wilt Chamberlain who had a 6'6" high jump, threw shot put 53' and ran the 880 in 1:58. There are stories of a 22' broad jump. Plus he averaged 30 pts and 20 rebounds a game for 8 years.

I won't say he is the best, but athlete wise he was pretty darn good. He was as strong as Shaq but faster, he would of been great whatever era he played in.
As for domination, no one not even Jordan dominated like Wilt did. Jordan may have been better but did not dominate like Wilt did. Wilt was Gretzky and Federer rolled into one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:07 AM
 
16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Reputation: 47952
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yes!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 AM
 
Location: Lewes, Delaware
3,466 posts, read 3,147,352 times
Reputation: 1876
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^yes!^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
My dad graduated high school a year after Wilt from a high school 30 minutes south of Philly, he said you couldn't believe the crowds Wilt would draw at a Track and Field event, not because he was 6'9" or 6'10" but because he was so dominate, more so than basketball.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
 
16,521 posts, read 20,964,213 times
Reputation: 47952
Billy Mills, who was an Olympic champion in 1964 (and is a Native American activist) has a brief clip in ESPN's Sport Century profile on Wilt, which was televised in 2000. According to Mills Wilt went to the track coach and asked if he could try out for a few events. The coach didn't ask why but asked Wilt how effective he would be as he hadn't trained. Wilt said to at least give him a chance. That coach did. It only took one event to get the coaches attention. He saw Wilt's distance in the shotput. one attempt- 50 feet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:13 AM
 
Location: :~)
1,483 posts, read 2,915,214 times
Reputation: 1519
OJ Simpson!?!

Oh, I know:

Superior speed = ran away from countless attackers. Successfully dodged victim attempts to protect themselves.

Intelligence = hired the greatest lawyer team date. Even more, convinced thugs to retrieve his memorabilia.

Strength = Broke countless tackles. Murdered 2 people with relative ease, barely a scar on his body.

My point is that this criminal should not be in ANY discussion, PERIOD! Remove this idiot from any list.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 10:19 AM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
13,343 posts, read 17,395,875 times
Reputation: 19654
Wilt was a FREAK! NBA teams were still interested in getting him to play when he was 40-50 years old. He played pro volleyball and is enshrined in the volleyball HoF.

Read how he schooled Magic in the 80's when he was in his 40's: ESPN.com - NBA - Until his dying day, Wilt was invincible

"Magic Johnson used to run the [summer pickup games at UCLA] games," [Larry] Brown recalled Tuesday after hearing that Chamberlain, his friend, had died at the age of 63, "and he called a couple of chintzy fouls and a goaltending on Wilt. "So Wilt said: 'There will be no more layups in this gym,' and he blocked every shot after that. That's the truth, I saw it. He didn't let one (of Johnson's) shots get to the rim."


"Years ago, teams could pass the ball over the backboard or take a running start when attempting a foul shot.
The former was outlawed because Chamberlain would use the backboard as a screen, cherry-picking passes and converting them into layups; the latter was banned after Chamberlain took a running start, leapt from the foul line and dunked the ball.
Yes, Chamberlain dunked foul shots. And that was long before Julius Erving or Brent Barry did it (while stepping on the line in the process) in exhibitions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Florida
589 posts, read 745,334 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Lets not forget Wilt Chamberlain who had a 6'6" high jump, threw shot put 53' and ran the 880 in 1:58. There are stories of a 22' broad jump. Plus he averaged 30 pts and 20 rebounds a game for 8 years.

I won't say he is the best, but athlete wise he was pretty darn good. He was as strong as Shaq but faster, he would of been great whatever era he played in.
As for domination, no one not even Jordan dominated like Wilt did. Jordan may have been better but did not dominate like Wilt did. Wilt was Gretzky and Federer rolled into one.

Good points. I actually thought about Wilt too, when making my list. I was trying to keep it to 10 total athletes, but there are probably 15-20 that you could make a good argument deserve to be in the top ten.

If I was to nit pick, the only minor criticism that I might have of Wilt, was a perception that he didn't always play up to 100% of his potential.

Maybe, that's because he was so much better then his contemporaries, it was hard for him to keep focused and interested.

But, considering the stories about how good he still was in the 1980's (the Magic Johnson story in the above post) I have to believe that he could have completely dominated the much smaller Bill Russell, if he had truly set his mind to it. Yet, Russell seems to have played him to a statistical stalemate, while Russell's team won 9 out of 10 times.

Ultimately, effort, passion, and a killer instinct are athletic skills too. I can't imagine Michael Jordan ever losing focus, and letting a lesser skilled player off the hook. Jordan would have much preferred completely embarrassing another player, rather than ever giving less than 100%.

Maybe Wilt was a true example of a 'gentle giant.'

Last edited by Nomad58; 12-29-2012 at 12:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 AM
 
Location: Florida
589 posts, read 745,334 times
Reputation: 404
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
OJ Simpson!?!

Oh, I know:

Superior speed = ran away from countless attackers. Successfully dodged victim attempts to protect themselves.

Intelligence = hired the greatest lawyer team date. Even more, convinced thugs to retrieve his memorabilia.

Strength = Broke countless tackles. Murdered 2 people with relative ease, barely a scar on his body.

My point is that this criminal should not be in ANY discussion, PERIOD! Remove this idiot from any list.

No one has suggested that he was one of the best athletes ever. But, the fact that he won the Superstars competition doesn't change, regardless of what he may have done after that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-29-2012, 12:14 PM
 
Location: Bella Vista, Ark
71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Reputation: 41739
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I wish he would have focused on football because I cannot remember a RB who was more exciting except maybe for Adrian Peterson. But wow, that man could literally score a TD on any handoff from anywhere.
Our son actually played with Bo when they were both with the Memphis Chicks AA baseball...Our son said he was a really nice guy as well. He also played with Berry Bonds, who wasn't such a nice guy..He played with Berry when they were in the Pittsburg organization...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top