Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Some Pepto might help with that.

Lewis' retirement will be more effective than a Pepto/Maalox cocktail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 06:25 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,023,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post

But I will NOT miss that stupid, showboating, look-at-me, dancing before the game. I wish that Unitas would have set him straight on that while he had the chance. Unitas was the greatest, and he was NEVER a showboat.
Oh god forbid someone shows some emotion.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine88 View Post
Oh god forbid someone shows some emotion.

Big difference between showing emotion and being a showboat.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
I wish that I was an athlete because the standard we have for the general population is more than our famous. They can lie under oath, hide evidence, rape(LT), murder (OJ), etc and eventually be praised for their on the field efforts. Yes, the guy is a great football player but a pathetic human being who mistreated many? I wonder how many? Now, fast forward to yesterday's retirement and everyone is praising him...Wow!

I am sorry but the past is not the past when considering crimes like murder. Murder, even witnessing, cannot be sweep under the carpet. He is a criminal. Let it be known that I love our athletes but not when they cross the line. Matter of fact, OJ "was" my favorite.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:01 AM

2,222 posts, read 3,600,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbub22 View Post
I wish that I was an athlete because the standard we have for the general population is more than our famous. They can lie under oath, hide evidence, rape(LT), murder (OJ), etc and eventually be praised for their on the field efforts. Yes, the guy is a great football player but a pathetic human being who mistreated many? I wonder how many? Now, fast forward to yesterday's retirement and everyone is praising him...Wow!

I am sorry but the past is not the past when considering crimes like murder. Murder, even witnessing, cannot be sweep under the carpet. He is a criminal. Let it be known that I love our athletes but not when they cross the line. Matter of fact, OJ "was" my favorite.
Thing is, he admitted he wasn't living right, and has since done everything he can to help guide and motivate the younger guys and make sure they don't make the same mistakes he did, to the point of essentially being a father figure to some of the youngest Ravens. In calculating my "pathetic human being" rankings, I'll take the guy who screwed up and then did everything he could to atone for it over the spineless keyboard warrior who rips guys they don't even know while contributing nothing of value to anybody else's life.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:22 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,180,466 times
Ray Lewis to join ESPN

ESPN has broken out the checkbook and will bring Lewis onset for their NFL programming.

The deal is reportedly of the multi-year variety and will place Lewis in a “significant role†for the network’s Monday Night Countdown broadcast.

Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
Quote:
Thing is, he admitted he wasn't living right, and has since done everything he can to help guide and motivate the younger guys and make sure they don't make the same mistakes he did, to the point of essentially being a father figure to some of the youngest Ravens. In calculating my "pathetic human being" rankings, I'll take the guy who screwed up and then did everything he could to atone for it over the spineless keyboard warrior who rips guys they don't even know while contributing nothing of value to anybody else's life.
I personally don't even think Ray's case was really that sick of a crime. Jovan Belcher's crime was just a sick and heinous crime. Ray's case was essentially a street fight that went tragically wrong which I think can happen to a lot of normal people. Not excusing the crime, just saying what it is. Ray got his together and has done a lot to ensure others do not put themselves into a situation like he did. Simply, I believe in second chances once a person has atoned for their crimes from the perspective of the law. He did and he has made the most of his second chance.

As far as I am concerned Ray Lewis is the best MLB I have been alive to see.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:02 AM

1,483 posts, read 3,307,709 times
Default Spineless Keyboard warrior

Quote:
Funny!...spineless keyboard warrior...Good one!

Based on your response, I can punch anyone as long as I show that i am sorry for my actions. I can see it now. POW! Whoops! Sorry, Father -in - law, I did not mean to punch you. I am so sorry. Son, please dont punch your grandfather. I am good with no crime, since I showed that I am sorry and I even mentored my son. See how silly that sounds.

I wonder if you would be so forgiving if he committed a crime against one of your family members i.e. witnessed their murder, or maybe a little rough sex with a female relative.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 AM

26,212 posts, read 49,038,592 times
RL is an awesome football player, truly ferocious on the field, and I hear he's a great guy off the field.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:57 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
I was pretty sure we would get to this level regarding Ray's past in no time. I'll allow the off field comments to stand-for now. Lewis has a controversial past to him and that murder and the resulting trial will never leave his past.

Basically we will have just two variables regarding this thread; 1. He is one of the best, if not THE best linebacker pro football has ever seen and 2. His involvement in the murder and the trial afterwards.

If this thread gets too contentious and I might shut it town for a short time to let people cool off. If it goes full tilt again the thread goes down.

No personal attacks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football