U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 03:22 PM

9,349 posts, read 5,569,348 times

Advertisements

Yeah, you've got to respect them. I hate Tom Brady and Belichik almost as much as I hate the Cowboys. But god damn, they make great personnel choices. From free agency, to the draft, to the schemes they run. They're a damn good organization from top to bottom.

Hell, most of the reason I don't like them is because they're always so good. I'm jealous of their fans and how spoiled they are. LOL!

Old 01-03-2013, 03:27 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,996,813 times
Bill Belicheat is an evil genius, and the second greatest coach in league history behind Chuck Noll.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:06 PM

4,888 posts, read 3,977,230 times
I agree, I hate the Patriots, but they run a good organization. I cannot fault them for that.

There is a good business model happening in New England, and lacking in places like New York, Dalla,CLeveland etc It nvolves all the things mentioned in this thread so far: Running a tight ship, taking a n "Our way or the highway approach" as well as hiring the right people for the job.
I would ad one more cliche, " nice guys finish last " in business at least.
Something that success in any business takes is a business plan and sticking to it. Of course, it may need to be altered slightly or tweaked along the way, but the bottom line is goals need to be set, then personel and policy put into place to meet those goals.
The Patriots have done this.
many teams make the mistake of changing their personel, their game style, game plan after every year of failure.
In order to win, the owner, GM and Coach hve to be on the same page. THere has to be a plan (what style to play, what types of players will best fit in that style, and what formula to use in other ituations.) Most teams fail to look at this overall picture. They put together a plan on the fly, hire a coach, when they go 6-10 they start firing people, scrap all the plans and then start over. They make the mistake of raiding players off good teams, who weere good on those teams for a reason, then find that they stink on thier new team. No spurise.
If you were hiring investment /financial managers, would you go to Walmart and offer those jobs to department managers there ? No, yu would seek out qualified applicants who would fit into your company who have the right personality and the right skills to fit into your company.

THis detail is too difficult for certain NFL managers.

The Patriots have a long history of silencing loud mouths (like Moss) before they ever let them have a chance on the team. They have taken some hard cases like Haynesworth and when they did not behave, they were gone.
That's simply good business practice. I would not want any people working at our agency who do not do their share. We had to let someone go a week before Christmas, but enough is enough. We did what Billicheck would have done.

On the Subject of Romo, He is NOT franchise laterial. He makes too many mistakes, misses too many plays, and needs to rely on the occasional big play to make himself look good. The Cowboys would be better served taking a QB in the first round, but since I like seeing them miss the playoffs year after year, I am not going to point that out.

r

Old 01-16-2013, 02:59 PM

10,691 posts, read 11,699,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
As much as I despise the Patriots, and make no mistake, if I hate any thing or any team for real it would be them, I have to say, the people that run the team do a good job.
Consider: They always end up at or near the top and rarely miss the playoffs, they have a solid success as a franchise

BUT wait.....

I was thinking of this when I was watching the Cowgirls screw up another season Sunday Night.
Someone like Romo would have been let go when he failed to produce year after year. The Patriots have a known track record of not wasting time on futility, and will glad let someone go when they are no longer useful.

We seem to never hear too much of the mouthing off from Patriot Players, something to do with the way Bilichek runs the team. they are paid to practice, play ball and not run their mouths. That sometimes means that they are not allowed to talk to the press. This keeps a lot of controversy OUT before it starts. They also seem to lack players who drink and drive and kill teamates, not to mention players who have to have security with them whenever they go out to make certain, for example, that they are out of the strip clubs by 9 PM.
Much as I hate the Patriots, they sure know how to run a team.

Somehting many other franchises (are you listening Jones?) need to learn.

"FEEL MY POWER!!"

Old 01-17-2013, 07:15 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,234,660 times
As said earlier, as long as BB and TB are on the same sidelines together, the Patriots are always going to be a Super Bowl contender. Having a franchise quarterback means almost everything if you're going to be a Super Bowl contender - especially a Super Bowl Champion. I will say this though, the one year the Patriots didn't make the playoffs was the year Brady was hurt, but they still went 11-5. So, I think post Tom Brady, if Belichick is still there, the Patriots will continue to have marginal success, but I think once Brady leaves the field for good, the Patriots won't be the class of the NFL anymore.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,569,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I will say this though, the one year the Patriots didn't make the playoffs was the year Brady was hurt, but they still went 11-5. .

Old 01-17-2013, 10:28 AM

2,946 posts, read 4,878,817 times
Quote:
As said earlier, as long as BB and TB are on the same sidelines together, the Patriots are always going to be a Super Bowl contender.
Correction, as long as Tom Brady is your QB, you`ll be a SB contender. Belichek without a bigtime QB equals Belichek in Cleveland

Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM

689 posts, read 338,407 times
Quote:
As said earlier, as long as BB and TB are on the same sidelines together, the Patriots are always going to be a Super Bowl contender. Having a franchise quarterback means almost everything if you're going to be a Super Bowl contender - especially a Super Bowl Champion. I will say this though, the one year the Patriots didn't make the playoffs was the year Brady was hurt, but they still went 11-5. So, I think post Tom Brady, if Belichick is still there, the Patriots will continue to have marginal success, but I think once Brady leaves the field for good, the Patriots won't be the class of the NFL anymore.
Who in their division went to the playoffs the year they didn't went?

Old 01-17-2013, 12:48 PM

689 posts, read 338,407 times
The patriots run a tight ship. They are really serious about winning and being successful. Out of their four losses....they haven't been shut out or blown out once this season.

Old 01-17-2013, 07:07 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,881,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VABlkCONSERV View Post
Who in their division went to the playoffs the year they didn't went?
Miami won the AFC East that year. They had a better conference record and won the tie-breaker.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football