U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 10:07 AM

2,532 posts, read 4,958,502 times

Advertisements

Kraft was a season ticket holder before he bought the team; from 1965 until he bought the team in 1999. At that time, the Pats were owned by one of the Busch heirs and it looked like the team was moving to St. Louis. Kraft made some wise moves including hiring Bill Parcells and later Bill Belichick. He built a new stadium (the old one was embarrassing awful). He also built Patriot Place at the stadium which has restaurants, hotels, shops, etc.

Kraft made his money in the cardboard box business. He was not born into money; his father was a tailor. He has donated over $100M to charity.

It comes down to the combination of the owner, coach and QB. One can do well with two out of three, but when all three are excellent and working together, the result can be a 12 year run such as the Pats have had...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:54 AM

2,977 posts, read 3,960,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seamusnh View Post
Kraft was a season ticket holder before he bought the team; from 1965 until he bought the team in 1999. At that time, the Pats were owned by one of the Busch heirs and it looked like the team was moving to St. Louis. Kraft made some wise moves including hiring Bill Parcells and later Bill Belichick. He built a new stadium (the old one was embarrassing awful). He also built Patriot Place at the stadium which has restaurants, hotels, shops, etc.

Kraft made his money in the cardboard box business. He was not born into money; his father was a tailor. He has donated over $100M to charity.

It comes down to the combination of the owner, coach and QB. One can do well with two out of three, but when all three are excellent and working together, the result can be a 12 year run such as the Pats have had...
Well put....love them or hate them they have a recipe for success. Belichick is a chess master, rotating players and forever changing them up for different scenarios.

I am going to be on edge for this game......this years playoff games for the most part have been played out down to the end. Great games all around. Didn't the Pats squeak by Baltimore by a missed field goal at the closing seconds of the fourth quarter last year? I nearly had a heart attack.

Old 01-19-2013, 08:01 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,674,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
Well put....love them or hate them they have a recipe for success. Belichick is a chess master, rotating players and forever changing them up for different scenarios.

I am going to be on edge for this game......this years playoff games for the most part have been played out down to the end. Great games all around. Didn't the Pats squeak by Baltimore by a missed field goal at the closing seconds of the fourth quarter last year? I nearly had a heart attack.
The Ravens had the Patriots on the ropes in the 4th quarter...a nice play to strip the ball out of Lee Evans hands was the deciding factor really.....

I'm really looking forward to the game like everyone else!!!

Old 01-19-2013, 09:12 AM

2,371 posts, read 3,059,204 times
Default What if Tom Brady played for the Kansas City Chiefs?

Matt Cassel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

He became the Patriots' starting quarterback after Week 1 of the 2008 season after then reigning NFL MVP Tom Brady suffered a season-ending knee injury. According to ESPN research, he is the only known quarterback in NFL history to start an NFL game at quarterback without ever starting at quarterback in college. In February 2009, the Patriots used their franchise tag on Cassel, extending him a one-year contract worth over $14 million, the largest one-year contract for an offensive player in NFL history

Cassel led the Patriots to a 17–10 victory, completing 13 of 18 passes for 152 yards and one touchdown; Cassel's drives accounted for all of New England's points

Cassel made his first-ever start on Sunday, September 14, 2008, with a winning effort over the New York Jets, completing 16 of 23 passes for 165 yards; though he threw no touchdowns, he also threw no interceptions. The Patriots' 19–10 victory was the first time in six tries that a quarterback making his first NFL start defeated a team led by Brett Favre.[19]
Cassel was voted AFC Offensive Player of the Week for his Week 7 performance against the Denver Broncos on Monday Night Football. He had 183 passing yards and three touchdowns in a 41–7 rout, which made it his first three touchdown pass game.[20]

the Patriots held the ball in the game for over 37 minutes; the final 19-play drive, which lasted over 9 minutes, tied a franchise record for most plays in a single drive.
In the Patriots' 34–31 overtime loss to the New York Jets, on November 13, 2008, Cassel led the Patriots on three consecutive scoring drives to bring them back from a 24–6 deficit with two minutes left in the first half, and threw a 16-yard touchdown to Randy Moss on 4th-and-1 with one second remaining to send the game into overtime. He finished 30-for-51 passing, with 400 yards, 3 touchdowns (and a pass for a two-point conversion), and no interceptions for a passer rating of 103.4, and 62 yards rushing on eight attempts. Cassel became the first Patriot to throw for 300 yards and rush for 50 yards in the same game, and the first player since at least the AFL-NFL merger to have 400 passing yards and 60 rushing yards in the same game.[21]

Cassel completed 30 of 43 passes for 415 yards, three touchdowns to Randy Moss, and one interception, for a passer rating of 114.0; Cassel also had 14 yards on two rushes, including an 8-yard touchdown run. The performance made Cassel the first quarterback in franchise history, and only the fifth quarterback in NFL history, to have consecutive games with 400+ yards passing. His efforts earned him the title of AFC Offensive Player of the Week for the second time.[22]
In Week 15, against the Oakland Raiders, Cassel, playing just six days after the death of his father, set a new personal best, throwing for four touchdowns in the Patriots' 49–26 rout.[23]

In Week 16, against the playoff-bound Arizona Cardinals, Cassel led the Patriots to a 47–7 blowout win through snow, sleet, and rain in the Patriots' last regular-season home game of 2008. Cassel, playing in snow for the first time ever,[24] nevertheless completed 20 of 36 passes for 345 yards, three touchdowns, and no interceptions, while helping the Patriots remain in the hunt for the AFC East title. In a role reversal, Matt Leinart entered the game as the Cardinals' backup quarterback when Kurt Warner was pulled from the game with the Cardinals trailing 44–0; Leinart completed 6 of 14 passes, for 138 yards, one touchdown, and one interception

Cassel, in the last year of his four-year rookie contract, was scheduled to be an unrestricted free agent in 2009. Given the quality of his performance, and the uncertainty over Brady's recovery, NFL analysts and reporters raised the question of whether the Patriots should, or would, franchise Cassel,[27][28] less than three months after some of those same reporters predicted Cassel would be cut from the team.[29]
On January 4, 2009, ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported that the Patriots would franchise Cassel.[30] The Patriots made it official on February 5, 2009, the first day of the 2009 franchise period,[31] and Cassel agreed to the tender two days later.[32]

================================================== ==============================================

not bad for a guy that never started a game in college, couldn't beat Matt Leinart out for the job at USC, and was reduced to playing special teams in college. And we have 15.5 games of evidence, not just one or two. Cassel's done nothing like that in KC.

without the tuck game they don't even get three SB wins, all thier SB wins are by 2-4 points, why not punch it in the end zone? talk of a dynasty is very overrated, made by a media that wants to hype the latest, greatest for ratings only.

edit: and then you have the whole cheating scandal, which was/is very real and the fact that he's not won anything since then... hmmm....

Old 01-19-2013, 09:41 AM

Badger, "what if's?" Dont count and ooze of sour grapes/bitterness.....theyve gotten it done consistently since 2001.

The team/organizatiin deserves credit no matter how much of a giants/jets fan you are.....lol

Old 01-19-2013, 01:57 PM

7,495 posts, read 4,248,476 times
I dislike the Patriots less than the other three teams,
so I'll join ya; Go Pats.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:14 PM

2,371 posts, read 3,059,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Badger, "what if's?" Dont count and ooze of sour grapes/bitterness.....theyve gotten it done consistently since 2001.

The team/organizatiin deserves credit no matter how much of a giants/jets fan you are.....lol

not at all the point of my post.

Old 01-19-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badger View Post
not at all the point of my post.
After the Cassel biography this is what the end of your post this is what you said..

without the tuck game they don't even get three SB wins, all thier SB wins are by 2-4 points, why not punch it in the end zone? talk of a dynasty is very overrated, made by a media that wants to hype the latest, greatest for ratings only.

"With Outs" don't matter...

They are a dynasty like the Steelers in the 70's and the Niners in the 80's....The only team that has the formula against them is Eli and the Giants, but the track record is phenomenal....can't be denied and I'm not even a fan of them.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

19,379 posts, read 17,491,665 times
Bellichick's a cheat so the team gets zero respect from me. I'm very glad they lost so one has to wonder if it was the cheating all along. I did see Bill had his hoody on again, I wonder if his little rats and moles came up empty on info to transmit to him.

Old 01-21-2013, 04:49 PM

3,723 posts, read 3,880,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Bellichick's a cheat so the team gets zero respect from me. I'm very glad they lost so one has to wonder if it was the cheating all along. I did see Bill had his hoody on again, I wonder if his little rats and moles came up empty on info to transmit to him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football