U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:10 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Reputation: 9451

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kees View Post
The best remaining? How many have been eliminated so far? The backup from Minnesota?

Sure Rodgers is statistically speaking the best QB in the NFC playoffs but the Packers aren't the best team.

They'll get shut down in SF next week.

I guess would rank Rodgers as number one since he has won a SB while the others have yet to make their mark since they are rookies. Matt Ryan gets his chance to erase his winless playoff record next week but as of now just based on history you have to rank Aaron Rodgers as number one.

Rodgers.....SB Ring

Ryan.........0-3 in Postseason

RG3............0-0

Russell Wilson......0-0

Kaepernick........0-0


So even though Ryan has a winless playoff record i would still put him above the others because he has lead his team to the playoffs three times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-06-2013, 12:12 PM
FBJ
 
Location: Tall Building down by the river
39,615 posts, read 50,446,723 times
Reputation: 9451
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
We'll see, it will be a tough game but Packers can't be written off because SF beat them in September.

From past NFL History, it's only one way a NFL team can win on the road in the playoffs.

"Zero Turnovers"


As long as the Packers don't give the niners easy opportunities by fumbling or throwing interceptions they have a good shot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2013, 08:14 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,525,107 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Note to HH: feel free to close and move this thread to the original. I'm just posting b/c I'm interested in the topic and it's closed for mod review, but no disrespect or nothing, bro.

AFC
Houston over Cincinnati. I think Houston's got major problems against pass-happy teams, but fortunately for them, I think they can take care of Cincinnati. I think it'll be close, but H-town's been good against teams that are just kinda 'so-so' on offense. They can outscore opponents if they can hold their opposition to under 25 points, and I think they'll accomplish that against Cincy. Texans 27-24.

Baltimore over Indy. I like the Andrew Luck and Pagano story as much as anyone, but it ends against Balty. The Ravens are too experienced and physical on defense to let a rookie like Andrew Luck shred them. I think it'll be a tough game for the Ravens, but they'll somehow emerge from it victorious. Baltimore 20-19. Tough one to call. Could go either way, but I got Balty.

NFC
I got Green Bay at home over Minny. I know they lost last week, but I don't think they were pulling out all the stops. And besides, Minnesota's not going to enjoy playing outdoors as much as they would playing in the dome. I got GB 27-17.

Sea-Tac vs. Skins? I got the Hawks in this one. I think their defense is freakin awesome. Major cover guys. They've played successfully against all types of offenses. Had no probs with Kaepernick and the 49ers offense, so I'm guessing they'll handle RGIII.

We called them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 02:28 PM
 
Location: 3219'03.7"N 10643'55.9"W
8,121 posts, read 17,361,253 times
Reputation: 7299
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
The crowd at the Texans game is sooooooooooooooooo quiet.....
My impression about football in the Houston area (as well as maybe 6 or 7 other cities in the NFL) is that there exists a passion gap. It's not the game of football per se, in the case of Houston. For instance, if you put LaPorte High School against Deer Park, you'd probably double the sound of the crowd at that Texans game on Saturday. You could make a case that the 3 Florida teams, possibly the Falcons, and the Panthers could be lumped into this categorization as well. In spite of the Saints recent popularity, I still think an assembled LSU crowd in Baton Rogue will have a higher decibel level.

This is how home field can very well matter in NFL playoffs, and in fact, I do believe that Vegas odds makers affix point spreads not just on the stock 3 point advantage, but also depending on the stadium the game is to be played in. Perhaps this is why the Falcons are not favored by more, and if the game was in Seattle, due to the vociferous nature of their fan base, the Seahawks might be favored more than 4 points, using the 3 point rule to give the home team a stock advantage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 PM
 
518 posts, read 342,230 times
Reputation: 215
Meh, home field is typically overrated. I think it's a factor, but a team's not going to win just because they're playing on their own field. I think the major factor is crowd noise, but that isn't always a factor - the crowd only amps up the volume in certain situations anyway. Home field's actually a bigger advantage (in theory) in a sport like baseball, where an outfield has to get used to the other team's stadium dimensions, lighting, field, and so forth. And even then, visiting teams win regularly. Usually, the home team wins because they've won more games and are, thus, better than the visiting teams. But that's not a sure thing anymore. There's so much parity in the NFL now.

This week's picks:

Denver will beat Baltimore. Now if you want to talk about a team that does have a home field advantage, it's Denver. Playing a mile above sea level and having weeks to acclimate to it, as opposed to the team that's flying across the country and has only days to adjust, is a major advantage. But the real bottom line here is that Baltimore's not playing Andrew Luck and a porous offensive line; they're playing Peyton Manning. The real story with Denver, though, is actually their defensive - best in the league statistically...and they're going to get in Flacco's face. The only thing Baltimore has going for them is familiarity and they do have their starting big four on defense. Won't matter, though. Denver 27 Baltimore 10.

New England will beat Houston - again. It would be one thing if the Texans just had a bad game against New England. The problem is, they didn't have just *a* bad game; they've been torched by teams that can spread the ball around. They survived against Cincinnati because the Bengals don't have a dynamic offense. The Patriots do. They don't rely on speed, but they do rely on pace and controlling the tempo of the game. I think New England wins again. Might be tighter in the first half this time, but they'll find a way to pull ahead in the 2nd half. New England 31 Houston 21.

Now the NFC

Green Bay takes down SF. The Packers have Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson back, and that's bad, bad news for Colin Kaapernick. If I were Harbaugh I'd try and get Frank Gore going early and often and see what happens. Use Kap off the run and then let the kid see if he can add a third dimension later in the game. I think it'll be a competitive game, but I can't help but think that somewhere the Packers are going to force Kaepernick to make a mistake or two. Packers 27 49ers 23.

Seattle over Atlanta. This one's a tough pick because I think Atlanta's motivated to win this game, and with Chris Clemons out, there's an opportunity to test the defense. The problem is, the Seattle defense doesn't really ever look good on paper. They don't have the stats that some defenses do - and yet they're incredibly effective. They don't allow big plays and they shut down passing games. They've proven that they're vulnerable against the run, which makes Washington's decision to go pass happy all the more perplexing. Michael Turner hasn't been effective as a rusher this year. His stats are way down, including yards per carry. He's just not someone the Hawks are concerned about. I think the injury to Clemons will be a factor, but I still think the Seahawks overcome it and win. Seattle 24 Atlanta 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-10-2013, 06:19 PM
 
Location: The Land of Reason
13,300 posts, read 10,525,107 times
Reputation: 3541
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Meh, home field is typically overrated. I think it's a factor, but a team's not going to win just because they're playing on their own field. I think the major factor is crowd noise, but that isn't always a factor - the crowd only amps up the volume in certain situations anyway. Home field's actually a bigger advantage (in theory) in a sport like baseball, where an outfield has to get used to the other team's stadium dimensions, lighting, field, and so forth. And even then, visiting teams win regularly. Usually, the home team wins because they've won more games and are, thus, better than the visiting teams. But that's not a sure thing anymore. There's so much parity in the NFL now.

This week's picks:

Denver will beat Baltimore. Now if you want to talk about a team that does have a home field advantage, it's Denver. Playing a mile above sea level and having weeks to acclimate to it, as opposed to the team that's flying across the country and has only days to adjust, is a major advantage. But the real bottom line here is that Baltimore's not playing Andrew Luck and a porous offensive line; they're playing Peyton Manning. The real story with Denver, though, is actually their defensive - best in the league statistically...and they're going to get in Flacco's face. The only thing Baltimore has going for them is familiarity and they do have their starting big four on defense. Won't matter, though. Denver 27 Baltimore 10.

New England will beat Houston - again. It would be one thing if the Texans just had a bad game against New England. The problem is, they didn't have just *a* bad game; they've been torched by teams that can spread the ball around. They survived against Cincinnati because the Bengals don't have a dynamic offense. The Patriots do. They don't rely on speed, but they do rely on pace and controlling the tempo of the game. I think New England wins again. Might be tighter in the first half this time, but they'll find a way to pull ahead in the 2nd half. New England 31 Houston 21.

Now the NFC

Green Bay takes down SF. The Packers have Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson back, and that's bad, bad news for Colin Kaapernick. If I were Harbaugh I'd try and get Frank Gore going early and often and see what happens. Use Kap off the run and then let the kid see if he can add a third dimension later in the game. I think it'll be a competitive game, but I can't help but think that somewhere the Packers are going to force Kaepernick to make a mistake or two. Packers 27 49ers 23.

Seattle over Atlanta. This one's a tough pick because I think Atlanta's motivated to win this game, and with Chris Clemons out, there's an opportunity to test the defense. The problem is, the Seattle defense doesn't really ever look good on paper. They don't have the stats that some defenses do - and yet they're incredibly effective. They don't allow big plays and they shut down passing games. They've proven that they're vulnerable against the run, which makes Washington's decision to go pass happy all the more perplexing. Michael Turner hasn't been effective as a rusher this year. His stats are way down, including yards per carry. He's just not someone the Hawks are concerned about. I think the injury to Clemons will be a factor, but I still think the Seahawks overcome it and win. Seattle 24 Atlanta 21.

I agree but I have some reservations regarding SF
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:33 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,233,017 times
Reputation: 7599
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_coli View Post
Meh, home field is typically overrated. I think it's a factor, but a team's not going to win just because they're playing on their own field. I think the major factor is crowd noise, but that isn't always a factor - the crowd only amps up the volume in certain situations anyway. Home field's actually a bigger advantage (in theory) in a sport like baseball, where an outfield has to get used to the other team's stadium dimensions, lighting, field, and so forth. And even then, visiting teams win regularly. Usually, the home team wins because they've won more games and are, thus, better than the visiting teams. But that's not a sure thing anymore. There's so much parity in the NFL now.

This week's picks:

Denver will beat Baltimore. Now if you want to talk about a team that does have a home field advantage, it's Denver. Playing a mile above sea level and having weeks to acclimate to it, as opposed to the team that's flying across the country and has only days to adjust, is a major advantage. But the real bottom line here is that Baltimore's not playing Andrew Luck and a porous offensive line; they're playing Peyton Manning. The real story with Denver, though, is actually their defensive - best in the league statistically...and they're going to get in Flacco's face. The only thing Baltimore has going for them is familiarity and they do have their starting big four on defense. Won't matter, though. Denver 27 Baltimore 10.

New England will beat Houston - again. It would be one thing if the Texans just had a bad game against New England. The problem is, they didn't have just *a* bad game; they've been torched by teams that can spread the ball around. They survived against Cincinnati because the Bengals don't have a dynamic offense. The Patriots do. They don't rely on speed, but they do rely on pace and controlling the tempo of the game. I think New England wins again. Might be tighter in the first half this time, but they'll find a way to pull ahead in the 2nd half. New England 31 Houston 21.

Now the NFC

Green Bay takes down SF. The Packers have Clay Matthews and Charles Woodson back, and that's bad, bad news for Colin Kaapernick. If I were Harbaugh I'd try and get Frank Gore going early and often and see what happens. Use Kap off the run and then let the kid see if he can add a third dimension later in the game. I think it'll be a competitive game, but I can't help but think that somewhere the Packers are going to force Kaepernick to make a mistake or two. Packers 27 49ers 23.

Seattle over Atlanta. This one's a tough pick because I think Atlanta's motivated to win this game, and with Chris Clemons out, there's an opportunity to test the defense. The problem is, the Seattle defense doesn't really ever look good on paper. They don't have the stats that some defenses do - and yet they're incredibly effective. They don't allow big plays and they shut down passing games. They've proven that they're vulnerable against the run, which makes Washington's decision to go pass happy all the more perplexing. Michael Turner hasn't been effective as a rusher this year. His stats are way down, including yards per carry. He's just not someone the Hawks are concerned about. I think the injury to Clemons will be a factor, but I still think the Seahawks overcome it and win. Seattle 24 Atlanta 21.


You were totally wrong about yesterdays games, i hope you are wrong again today

Both my picks won yesterday. Houston is my team, and i am routing for Seattle today.

SF is my fav in the NFC and Denver needed to be taken down a notch. My prediction at the start if the season was SF in the SB, Seattle would be a big challenge for them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:47 AM
 
518 posts, read 342,230 times
Reputation: 215
I sure was wrong this time, eh?

You just gotta tip your hat to both Baltimore and SF. I was less sure about the SF game, but I figured that GB's defense would contain Kaepernick; however, Kap just ran roughshod all over GB and he connected downfield with some major strikes. It was a brilliant offensive game plan by Harbaugh, Roman, and company.

Likewise, I thought the Broncos just got outplayed and out-coached. I was surprised at how badly Denver's secondary was managed in that game. They could have made the adjustments earlier, but let Bailey get burned repeatedly. And what in the world are the DBs doing playing so shallow like that? Unbelievable. But all of that aside, take away the two special teams plays and Baltimore would have won it decisively. Flacco played the best game of his career, I felt. Similarly, I think Baltimore's new look offensive line really gave Flacco the confidence to stand in the pocket and test the DBs.

We'll see what happens today. I'm sticking with my Patriots pick, but I was always hesitant about picking the Seahawks over the Falcons and I'm especially hesitant now after getting stunned twice yesterday. I'm still sticking with the Pats and Hawks, though. I was 4 and 0 last week. Maybe I can at least get a split this time. :-/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 09:53 AM
 
Location: Up on the moon laughing down on you
18,509 posts, read 28,233,017 times
Reputation: 7599
Quote:

We'll see what happens today. I'm sticking with my Patriots pick, but I was always hesitant about picking the Seahawks over the Falcons and I'm especially hesitant now after getting stunned twice yesterday. I'm still sticking with the Pats and Hawks, though. I was 4 and 0 last week. Maybe I can at least get a split this time. :-/
I hope you dont. Lol. Well...... You will get Seattle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-13-2013, 06:07 PM
 
518 posts, read 342,230 times
Reputation: 215
Well, lost Seattle -- barely. But unfortunately, I got the Pats right. Actually, I was kinda pullin for H-town as the game wore on. I think next year could be your year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top