U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:29 AM

518 posts, read 341,157 times

Advertisements

Note to HH: feel free to close and move this thread to the original. I'm just posting b/c I'm interested in the topic and it's closed for mod review, but no disrespect or nothing, bro.

AFC
Houston over Cincinnati. I think Houston's got major problems against pass-happy teams, but fortunately for them, I think they can take care of Cincinnati. I think it'll be close, but H-town's been good against teams that are just kinda 'so-so' on offense. They can outscore opponents if they can hold their opposition to under 25 points, and I think they'll accomplish that against Cincy. Texans 27-24.

Baltimore over Indy. I like the Andrew Luck and Pagano story as much as anyone, but it ends against Balty. The Ravens are too experienced and physical on defense to let a rookie like Andrew Luck shred them. I think it'll be a tough game for the Ravens, but they'll somehow emerge from it victorious. Baltimore 20-19. Tough one to call. Could go either way, but I got Balty.

NFC
I got Green Bay at home over Minny. I know they lost last week, but I don't think they were pulling out all the stops. And besides, Minnesota's not going to enjoy playing outdoors as much as they would playing in the dome. I got GB 27-17.

Sea-Tac vs. Skins? I got the Hawks in this one. I think their defense is freakin awesome. Major cover guys. They've played successfully against all types of offenses. Had no probs with Kaepernick and the 49ers offense, so I'm guessing they'll handle RGIII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 10:30 AM

6,536 posts, read 4,487,242 times
Houston has been awful lately. Cincinnati can get a good pash rush, Foster needs to break out. I'll take them...close though 23-20
How did the Colts finish the season with a better record then Baltimore?? Ravens will go all out for Lewis is what is probably his final game in Baltimore (since they'll get smoked by the Broncos and probably the Patriots). Baltimore 27-13.

NFC:
Green Bay over Minnesota. Don't think Minnesota is going to like playing outdoors on January 5 in Green Bay. Peterson will get his (175-200 yards), but Ponder will have the win the game for the Vikings, and I don't think he's capable of doing that. 31-20 Green bay
Washington over Seattle. Seattle has been doing great, but liked their chances a lot more against Dallas. This is Washington's first home playoff game since I think 2000 or 2001 (or earlier), so the fans will be ready. Matchup I'm most interested in watching and thank God it's on Sunday. Washington 21-20.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:52 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,187,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post
Houston has been awful lately. Cincinnati can get a good pash rush, Foster needs to break out. I'll take them...close though 23-20
How did the Colts finish the season with a better record then Baltimore?? Ravens will go all out for Lewis is what is probably his final game in Baltimore (since they'll get smoked by the Broncos and probably the Patriots). Baltimore 27-13.

NFC:
Green Bay over Minnesota. Don't think Minnesota is going to like playing outdoors on January 5 in Green Bay. Peterson will get his (175-200 yards), but Ponder will have the win the game for the Vikings, and I don't think he's capable of doing that. 31-20 Green bay
Washington over Seattle. Seattle has been doing great, but liked their chances a lot more against Dallas. This is Washington's first home playoff game since I think 2000 or 2001 (or earlier), so the fans will be ready. Matchup I'm most interested in watching and thank God it's on Sunday. Washington 21-20.
I see this everywhere but I'm mystified by this train of thought. Cold, messy weather favors Minnesota but quite some margin because of our style of team. We are a physical, run based offense and that works in any weather. Green Bay is the timing based passing team and the weather can affect that type of offense more than our offense. Also Aaron Rodgers has exactly 0 wins in Lambeau in the playoffs.

Old 01-03-2013, 12:13 PM

71,926 posts, read 83,566,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7express View Post

NFC:
I had forgotten the Skins were even in the playoffs back in 2000; old people have short memories. Boy I am pulling for them. We will be on a cruse at the time, but should get the game in the sports bar: There will be 8 of us; 4 routing for Seattle; 2 for the Skins and the other 2, might be torn: it is our daughter and her husband; used to be avid Skins fans, but lived in Dallas for 25 years; eventually it got the best of them and they developed a love the the Cowboys....

Old 01-03-2013, 02:19 PM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
And it is time for Aaron to get that monkey off his back! I do think the temps will favor a run game, but have to wait and see what the Packers come up with this time.

Old 01-03-2013, 03:15 PM

12,177 posts, read 21,013,009 times
This weekend in the AFC I would like to see both Houston and Indianapolis win.

Old 01-03-2013, 05:50 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,187,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
And it is time for Aaron to get that monkey off his back! I do think the temps will favor a run game, but have to wait and see what the Packers come up with this time.
Don't get me wrong I don't believe the weather favors us by a lot...I just don't think the weather "favors" anyone. I think it's rather overblown to be honest with you. Our offensive system may fair better in the cold but I don't think weather will be the determining factor. I also think it's ironic that we're discussing a team from Minnesota (my home state) going to the cold like they're a team from Miami or LA or something.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:51 AM

518 posts, read 341,157 times
I personally don't put a ton of stock in home field advantage. It's typically overrated in football. The only thing that's not overrated about it is the crowd noise, which can be disruptive until a team makes adjustments. As long as the visiting QB can make adjustments and not commit disastrous errors early, I don't think home field means much. Statisticians will insist otherwise, but it's important to remember that home field is awarded to the team with the better records. So teams that win at home are probably just nothing more than good, and hence, difficult to beat regardless of the venue.

The main problem for Minnesota is that they just played Green Bay last week. The Packers will make adjustments, and they won't lose twice in a row -- at least the odds are strongly against it. Green Bay's lines will hold together better in this game, I feel.

I think Seattle's just too strong for Washington. My only concern is their preparation, and having to travel all the way to the East Coast. I suspect they'll be ready for Washington, though. Seattle's defense prepares for someone like RGIII in practice every day. Seattle's younger and faster. I think it'll be a tough game, though. This is definitely winnable for Washington.

Old 01-04-2013, 07:04 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,667,962 times
I think you're underestimating home field advantage.

Yes, you can pick and choose some games where the road team came in and won, but it is a factor and does help the home team. Bookies give points just for being at home. They don't do that out of the goodness of their heart. There is a reason for it....

Old 01-04-2013, 07:13 AM

11,722 posts, read 11,541,988 times
Can't wait for Saturday! I'm concerned about the Packers but hope they get it together. Rookies/injuries play a part but you have to a good game plan and coach up the players you have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football