U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:54 AM

2,223 posts, read 3,001,536 times

Advertisements

Understandably, the NFL is looking for ways to grow its brand in the 21st century globalized economy; hence, the game at Wembley and the on-and-off talk of a franchise in London. The Wembley tickets sell like hotcakes, so I'd say this has been a good thing for them. But is it the best thing? I say not. In addition to, or in lieu of playing a game at Wembley, the NFL should play a game here:

Allianz Arena in Munich. Why do I say this? Let's look at exhibit A: Sebastian Vollmer, Markus Kuhn, and Bjoern Werner. Vollmer became the first European-trained player drafted in the NFL when the Pats took him in the second round in 2009, and the Kuhn followed three years later. Now, Bjoern Werner from Florida State is not only looking to be drafted, but he's a top 10 prospect right now according to Scout's inc. That's pretty remarkable since apparently "only us Americans" care about our football. Exhibit B: Remember NFL Europe? Yes, it was a big failure, and none of the teams could really establish a fan base- except one, the Rhein Fire from Dusseldorf.

I criticize Uncle Roger on a near daily basis, but I completely understand his desire to expand the game globally. However, if they're really serious about it, they need to shift their focus. We've been playing games in Wembley for several years now, how many British players have been drafted? In Germany, they've got an audience that will be much more receptive to American football outside of a once-a-year novelty game. If we've seen that young German players are willing to pour considerable resources into trying to come play in America, that deserves at least a regular season game. In the long run, what could be good for them to do is invest in an NFL Academy- a centralized location where the top German teenage players can develop their skills and college scouts can come evaluate them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 11:07 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
I love the Allianz Arena. Never been, but it looks fantastic. I especially loved what happened there last May when Chelsea beat Bayern Munich to win the UEFA Champions League.

With that said, Allianz is a bit smaller than Wembley. Not only seats, but in sheer physical size. You would have to block off a good deal of seats in the lower level to provide good sight lines for fans. That would shrink the potential attendence numbers even further. I also think the sidelines themselves would be pretty tight with 53 players, and over a dozen coaches, training staff, etc. I could be wrong, but I think the stands are closer to the pitch at Allianz than Wembley.

Last edited by TAM88; 01-03-2013 at 11:22 AM..

Old 01-03-2013, 11:18 AM

12,183 posts, read 21,053,928 times
Plus I think its more fun to go to London. I went when the Broncos played and had a great time and I don't think I would of had as much fun in Munich.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:22 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,834,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josseppie View Post
Plus I think its more fun to go to London. I went when the Broncos played and had a great time and I don't think I would of had as much fun in Munich.
Have it the same time as Octoberfest.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:24 AM

3,723 posts, read 3,889,081 times
Another thing to consider is that Allianz is the home ground for Bayern Munich and 1860 Munich. The Bundesliga plays matches on the weekends so it may be tough scheduling wise to have an NFL game take place. Plus the field would take a good deal of abuse.

The nice thing about Wembley is that it isn't the home ground for any Football or Rugby Clubs.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
Have it the same time as Octoberfest.
That is a good point but I have been to both cities and I think overall London has a lot more to do and would appeal to a broader audience.

Old 01-03-2013, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAM88 View Post
Another thing to consider is that Allianz is the home ground for Bayern Munich and 1860 Munich. The Bundesliga plays matches on the weekends so it may be tough scheduling wise to have an NFL game take place. Plus the field would take a good deal of abuse.

The nice thing about Wembley is that it isn't the home ground for any Football or Rugby Clubs.
Good point, maybe they should have it here instead: Olympic Stadium (Munich) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But besides the specific stadium or city, the point is this: there's evidence to suggest that Germany wants more American Football (at the very least more so than Britain), and it doesn't have rugby to compete against it. The Wembley game will never progress beyond a once-a-year treat (anybody who thinks an NFl franchise could be viable in London this decade is severely mistaken), but playing a game in Germany could really go a long way towards the sort of international growth that David Stern oversaw with the NBA.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnbiggs View Post
Good point, maybe they should have it here instead: Olympic Stadium (Munich) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But besides the specific stadium or city, the point is this: there's evidence to suggest that Germany wants more American Football (at the very least more so than Britain), and it doesn't have rugby to compete against it. The Wembley game will never progress beyond a once-a-year treat (anybody who thinks an NFl franchise could be viable in London this decade is severely mistaken), but playing a game in Germany could really go a long way towards the sort of international growth that David Stern oversaw with the NBA.
I don't think that is a NFL quality stadium. I don't even see a club level.

Old 01-03-2013, 01:45 PM

17,579 posts, read 39,834,670 times
I'm not sure there is really any desire to have the NFL in Europe in any country.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm not sure there is really any desire to have the NFL in Europe in any country.
Then why are German football players willing to spend thousands of their own money to fly over here and pitch themselves to college. And hypothetically, even if there weren't: the league and commissioner feel strongly otherwise, and I'm merely pointing out a market that logically would be far more receptive to them than the British one they are currently (and I believe foolishly) pursuing.

Quote:
I don't think that is a NFL quality stadium. I don't even see a club level.
Hey guys, I know its difficult for some of you, but can we not do that internet forum thing where we ignore overarching, more significant theme of somebody's post and nit pick at the individual semantic elements of it? Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football