U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 04:30 PM

9,029 posts, read 16,442,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Why is it dumb? You have people like Wisenhunt, Haley or Norv Turner getting all types of jobs but when a black head coach gets fired it seems like it takes years for him to get another interview. (Dennis Green, Jim Caldwell etc). Its just an observation.

BTW I did hear that Lovie may be getting an interview with San Diego and/or Buffalo.
Denny Green only had 2 years off doing network TV between his stints with the Vikings and Cardinals - his last 4 years in the NFL resulted in 5, 6, 5 & 5 wins - he's also about to turn 64 and has options that pay him well for a lot less stress/work ...... is he even looking for a job?

Dungy would have a job if he wanted one - he was unemployed all of 8 days after TB fired him

Then there is the unusual case of Herm Edwards - who was traded from the Jets to the Chiefs - like being fired with compensation

Caldwell took over an excellent team and was seen as more of a caretaker than a coach - fair or not that is the perception and it has little to do with color ... college comparisons (where coaches are more likely to step away from a good team) would be Bill Stewart with WVA or Larry Coker with Miami ... Caldwell landed on his feet and is now the OC in Baltimore - with success there he could definitely get another shot

The guys who tend to get 2nd shots in the NFL are guys who are very well respected as coordinators

There are plenty of guys - regardless of color - who didn't get 2nd chances .... Brian Billick seems content in the booth after a good run as a coordinator and 8 years as a HC .... Switzer had a good stint with the cowboys with johnsons team and hasn't done much since .... you don't hear joe bugel, bill callahan, brad childress, gunther cunningham, jim fassel and a slew of other coaches being mentioned for HC gigs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 PM

3,436 posts, read 5,788,446 times
Caldwell wasn't even a good college coach way back when at Wake Forest, so...

As for the Nutty Professor, Denny Green, he has plenty of his own baggage.

Lovie got the Bears into the playoffs four times in a decade. Nothing noteworthy there. Granted, the McCaskeys are known to be cheap, but Lovie knew what he had to work with.

Andy Reid and offensive wizardry...okay, I won't say I've heard it all, but that's pushing it.

Old 01-08-2013, 12:50 PM

8,115 posts, read 17,337,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Denny Green only had 2 years off doing network TV between his stints with the Vikings and Cardinals - his last 4 years in the NFL resulted in 5, 6, 5 & 5 wins - he's also about to turn 64 and has options that pay him well for a lot less stress/work ...... is he even looking for a job?

Dungy would have a job if he wanted one - he was unemployed all of 8 days after TB fired him

Then there is the unusual case of Herm Edwards - who was traded from the Jets to the Chiefs - like being fired with compensation

Caldwell took over an excellent team and was seen as more of a caretaker than a coach - fair or not that is the perception and it has little to do with color ... college comparisons (where coaches are more likely to step away from a good team) would be Bill Stewart with WVA or Larry Coker with Miami ... Caldwell landed on his feet and is now the OC in Baltimore - with success there he could definitely get another shot

The guys who tend to get 2nd shots in the NFL are guys who are very well respected as coordinators

There are plenty of guys - regardless of color - who didn't get 2nd chances .... Brian Billick seems content in the booth after a good run as a coordinator and 8 years as a HC .... Switzer had a good stint with the cowboys with johnsons team and hasn't done much since .... you don't hear joe bugel, bill callahan, brad childress, gunther cunningham, jim fassel and a slew of other coaches being mentioned for HC gigs
Brian Billick had a great quote about turning down a job down when the Jags tried to dust him off last year: "They want young and cheap, and I am old and expensive." And, so, it might just come down to this. Different teams have different budgets and different coaches have different salary requirements.

Old 01-08-2013, 02:01 PM

28,269 posts, read 26,269,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
First off Andy Reid >> Lovie Smith. Second off Andy Reid is known for his offensive wizardry whereas Lovie Smith is a defensive guy and the league is all about offense. (Fans with short attention spans want MOAR POINTZZ!) I'm sure Lovie Smith will get another job somewhere but perhaps not as fast as Reid.
Well, besides the fact that people in Philly wanted Andy Reid's "offensive wizardry" (ha!) gone a long time ago, I don't think that Lovie being a more defensive-minded coach has much to do with it. Bill Belichik, John Fox and Mike Tomlin are all guys people would consider "defensive coaches" and they've clearly had success in the current era.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:55 AM

2,887 posts, read 4,821,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
Keep in mind that the NFL had to put rules in place so that black coaches at least had to be interviewed. Before that it was an all-white good old boys club. So I would say that this thread is NOT stupid.

I'm sure Lovie will not interview unless he is assured he has a chance at the job, so he's not used as an owner's black interview to satisfy the rule.
True, just as black QB's weren't smart enough to be a QB, until they were proven wrong and now the NFL covets black QB's, just as they covet black coaches that can WIN.
I suppose you also know QB's under 6 feet tall can make in in the NFL. If you don't beleive that, just ask Russel Wilson, rookie of the year.. or should be....

Old 01-13-2013, 05:22 PM

5,886 posts, read 4,192,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
Well, besides the fact that people in Philly wanted Andy Reid's "offensive wizardry" (ha!) gone a long time ago, I don't think that Lovie being a more defensive-minded coach has much to do with it. Bill Belichik, John Fox and Mike Tomlin are all guys people would consider "defensive coaches" and they've clearly had success in the current era.
True but BB clearly and John Fox have adapted to the times. Mike Tomlin I'm less sure of but Lovie fielded defense first teams almost his whole tenure. Chicago's offense has been mostly stagnant even after getting Cutler and Marshall.

Eagles fans wanted Reid gone because they are short sighted. Eagles fans have a "legend in their own mind" complex and acted like it was Super Bowl or bust every year for them. Reid brought them to a Super Bowl and countless NFCCG's. Reid is clearly a better coach than Lovie Smith and if given the option I would take Reid every time over Smith. There's nothing racial going on...Reid is just a better coach with a better track record than Smith.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:56 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
True but BB clearly and John Fox have adapted to the times. Mike Tomlin I'm less sure of but Lovie fielded defense first teams almost his whole tenure. Chicago's offense has been mostly stagnant even after getting Cutler and Marshall.

Eagles fans wanted Reid gone because they are short sighted. Eagles fans have a "legend in their own mind" complex and acted like it was Super Bowl or bust every year for them. Reid brought them to a Super Bowl and countless NFCCG's. Reid is clearly a better coach than Lovie Smith and if given the option I would take Reid every time over Smith. There's nothing racial going on...Reid is just a better coach with a better track record than Smith.
Possibly but had you seen the Eagles this year, every game, you might have a different opinion, they had 4 wins by a toal of 6 or 7 points. The defense was tied with Jacksonvilles for points against and the offense was near the bottom in scoring. They went 7 games straight without an interception, that's a miracle really.
Yes you are what your record says you are but the Eagles probably should have been 2-14. I don't know if I have ever seen a team quit like the Eagles did this year. It's not all Reids fault and I understand that, and I'm not sure if he had final say on players and coaches but the quitting and lack of focus by the players on offense and defense was disgusting.

Reid is a good coach and I think he'll have the Chiefs in the playoffs within 2 years, but his time ran out here, 14 years is a long time.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:14 PM

4,399 posts, read 9,065,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I read all these reports saying that Andy Reid is interviewing with Arizona & Kansas City, and Ken Wisenhunt is going to interview with Buffalo, it is mystifying to me on why Lovie Smith hasnt gotten any interviews yet. He has a good coaching record, as good as Reid and probably better than Wisenhunt. Anyone notice that?
Eh..I'll buy that if Lovie Smith is begging for a job for the next 3 or 4 years but Lovie Smith will be coaching next year and maybe with more than one offer..

Old 01-14-2013, 09:51 PM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Eh..I'll buy that if Lovie Smith is begging for a job for the next 3 or 4 years but Lovie Smith will be coaching next year and maybe with more than one offer..
I hope so, maybe I jinxed it early on in this thread because I thought that he would have a job this year without a problem. Especially in Buffalo or Cleveland where bringing in a proven winner in this league might be a good start. With the Eagles interviewing Bradley tomorrow for a 2nd time I guess he might be the only defensive coach to get hired this year, if they hire him.

Old 01-15-2013, 09:17 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,593,617 times
My point still stands. Black head coaches are getting the shaft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football