Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2013, 11:18 PM

894 posts, read 2,371,695 times

Advertisements

Lovie is not getting a HC opportunity because he doesn't know offense.. 4 playoff appearances in 10 yrs 2 late season collapses..picks crappy Offensive Coordinators.. also from what i read Lovie didn't want to improve the O line and TE position bc he felt it was good.. he.doesn't make in game adjustments and can't develop players..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 06:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,487,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiMack View Post
Lovie is not getting a HC opportunity because he doesn't know offense.. 4 playoff appearances in 10 yrs 2 late season collapses..picks crappy Offensive Coordinators.. also from what i read Lovie didn't want to improve the O line and TE position bc he felt it was good.. he.doesn't make in game adjustments and can't develop players..
Why do people keep bring up Lovie? He's only one example. His track record is a lot better than some of these new hires. What about Ray Horton, Winston Moss etc. Aparrantly the NFL agrees with me since they are looking to revise the Rooney rule.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 58,802,436 times
I am black and strongly feel that NFL Owners should be able to hire who they want regardless of what his race is since it's all about qualifications.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I am black and strongly feel that NFL Owners should be able to hire who they want regardless of what his race is since it's all about qualifications.
Then you should understand why the Rooney Rule was put into place. The minority coaches were not getting the oppurtunities even though they were qualified. If the Rooney rule wasnt in place then Mike Tomlin would not be the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The point of the rule is to get minority coaches an interview but it seems like teams are just interviewing coaches just to get by that rule. I know it, you know it and even the NFL knows it.

No one is saying that there should be 4, 5 or 10 black head coaches. Just give them a fair oppurtinity, which they clearly are not.

Old 01-21-2013, 10:41 AM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Then you should understand why the Rooney Rule was put into place. The minority coaches were not getting the oppurtunities even though they were qualified. If the Rooney rule wasnt in place then Mike Tomlin would not be the head coach of the Pittsburgh Steelers. The point of the rule is to get minority coaches an interview but it seems like teams are just interviewing coaches just to get by that rule. I know it, you know it and even the NFL knows it.

No one is saying that there should be 4, 5 or 10 black head coaches. Just give them a fair oppurtinity, which they clearly are not.

But as a black man why would I want to go to a "Fake Job Interview?" What exactly am I accomplishing by going to a interview like that when I know it's only because of the Rooney Rule? I always thought the rule was stupid and would hope black coaches wouldn't want to make themselves look stupid.

I would want a NFL Owner to want me on his own rather than invite me to a interview because of the Rooney Rule.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
But as a black man why would I want to go to a "Fake Job Interview?" What exactly am I accomplishing by going to a interview like that when I know it's only because of the Rooney Rule? I always thought the rule was stupid and would hope black coaches wouldn't want to make themselves look stupid.

I would want a NFL Owner to want me on his own rather than invite me to a interview because of the Rooney Rule.
It gives you the experience of the interview itself. You might be able to convince them otherwise like Mike Tomlin did. The Steelers were probably going to with Ken Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm but they gave Tomlin a chance and he convinced them otherwise. Without that rule the minority coaches would not have had the oppurtunity. The rule just states that you have to interview a minority not hire them.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:32 PM

Right now the system is set up as a good ole boy system which the NFL is trying to change. Its difficult when you have older white males running the organizations. Once younger people start getting involved then you'll see more diversity. There is no way that Norv Turner should be getting job after job after job. He hasnt done anything since the early 90's.

Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Right now the system is set up as a good ole boy system which the NFL is trying to change. Its difficult when you have older white males running the organizations. Once younger people start getting involved then you'll see more diversity. There is no way that Norv Turner should be getting job after job after job. He hasnt done anything since the early 90's.

where did Norv turner end up?

Old 01-21-2013, 12:48 PM

Quote:
where did Norv turner end up?
He just signed with Cleveland. He's going to be the new offensive coordinator.

Old 01-21-2013, 02:34 PM
FBJ

Quote:
He just signed with Cleveland. He's going to be the new offensive coordinator.

well it's not a head coaching job, and you know most fired coaches always have another job waiting for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football