U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 09:57 AM

3,191 posts, read 5,842,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I am black and strongly feel that NFL Owners should be able to hire who they want regardless of what his race is since it's all about qualifications.
I feel ANY employer should be able to hire who they want without any shame for picking one race or another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2013, 09:44 AM

72,036 posts, read 83,705,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I read all these reports saying that Andy Reid is interviewing with Arizona & Kansas City, and Ken Wisenhunt is going to interview with Buffalo, it is mystifying to me on why Lovie Smith hasnt gotten any interviews yet. He has a good coaching record, as good as Reid and probably better than Wisenhunt. Anyone notice that?
your question is a good one, but why did the title have to bring color into the question? I guess I just don't think that color has much to do with this and wish we could all get over bringing race up so often..Oh well, these threads are for posting our views and I guess you see it as a race issue.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:03 AM

3,466 posts, read 3,152,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
your question is a good one, but why did the title have to bring color into the question? I guess I just don't think that color has much to do with this and wish we could all get over bringing race up so often..Oh well, these threads are for posting our views and I guess you see it as a race issue.
The NFL see's it as an issue and they may expand it to hiring coordinators. The NFL made this an issue, not the OP.

Old 01-23-2013, 11:24 AM

1,616 posts, read 1,593,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Yes i see it as a race issue and i had a feeling that this would happen. What kind of issue do you see it as?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:00 AM

946 posts, read 823,518 times
Quote:
I read all these reports saying that Andy Reid is interviewing with Arizona & Kansas City, and Ken Wisenhunt is going to interview with Buffalo, it is mystifying to me on why Lovie Smith hasnt gotten any interviews yet. He has a good coaching record, as good as Reid and probably better than Wisenhunt. Anyone notice that?

How do you cry racism in a league that 70% of its players are blacks? (mod edit-one sentence deleted)

Answer me this, why aren't teams drafting and sign more white/asian/hispanic players?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-24-2013 at 09:19 AM.. Reason: no name calling!

Old 01-24-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
How do you cry racism in a league that 70% of its players are blacks? (mod edit-one sentence deleted)

Answer me this, why aren't teams drafting and sign more white/asian/hispanic players?
If a white/asian/hispanic person can perform well at the NFL combine then they will get drafted. It's that simple. Every position has stats and goals that they (NFL coaches & GM's) look for, if a person passes them goals (40 times, weight lifting etc) then they will likely get drafted.

A black person is not at the combine holding white/asian/hispanic people back.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:35 AM

Here is a good article that explains the situation.

Dan Rooney defends the rule that bears his name, hints at expansion | ProFootballTalk

Old 01-24-2013, 02:53 PM

5,756 posts, read 4,238,850 times
Quote:
If a white/asian/hispanic person can perform well at the NFL combine then they will get drafted. It's that simple. Every position has stats and goals that they (NFL coaches & GM's) look for, if a person passes them goals (40 times, weight lifting etc) then they will likely get drafted.

A black person is not at the combine holding white/asian/hispanic people back.
Neither are white people holding back black head coaches. That is an unfounded allegation. Marvin Lewis has kept his job for over a decade, and has under performed as head coach more than he has performed well.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:02 AM

5,629 posts, read 4,227,315 times
This is a sensitive subject. I don't tend to dive into these often but I will stick my toe or 2 cents in just this once.

I think the Rooney is silly not because of its purpose but because of its NEED. Why would owners hire black players at a 70% clip for their labor positions but only a 15% clip of their management positions. Now that to me is a real head scratcher.. You would think that if black players made up 70% of the labor positions they would make up at least 50% of management positions if not more and yet that is NOT the case.

What it boils down to is this; (Some) Owners think that black players are good enough to play but not good enough to coach.. They thought the same thing about the QB position years ago. It's dumb.. plain and simple.. That's why the Rooney rule is needed. Some owners would NOT even consider a black coaching candidate before and now they at least have to interview one.. That alone gives black candidates experience in the interviewing room and it gives more black players an incentive to go into coaching after playing..

Before the Rooney rule, many black players would not even consider coaching after playing because they knew they would not get hired or they would stall out before even reaching a coordinator position. Now they have a bit more hope. But I will say this. I don't think you will ever see the black head coaches percentage reach the same 70% level as the black players. FOr one, more coaches are coming up from the coaching ranks vs the playing ranks than ever before. Sure, these guys played football in High School and probably a small college but when their dream of playing in the NFL finally died, they said.. let me try coaching.. It makes sense that if more black players are going on to play in the NFL then more white players are falling out of that category and joinging the coaching category.

Until we get to the point where ALL 32 owners hire the best candidate and not just the best white candidate we will continue to debate.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:18 AM

1,062 posts, read 1,347,373 times
Quote:
Right now the system is set up as a good ole boy system which the NFL is trying to change. Its difficult when you have older white males running the organizations. Once younger people start getting involved then you'll see more diversity. There is no way that Norv Turner should be getting job after job after job. He hasnt done anything since the early 90's.
I agree with this particular post! Looking forward to ridding most everyone in power positions from the baby boomer era and pre-boomer. Poor leadership decision from many, not ALL! Certainly a good many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football