Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2013, 10:21 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,487,415 times

Advertisements

BTW Andy Reid's coaching record is 130-93, Lovie Smith is 81-63, Ken Wisenhunt is 45-51 & Todd Haley is 19-26.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 10:42 AM

77,755 posts, read 59,900,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
I'm just surprised that he hasnt any interviews.
Lovie may just personally be waiting to see how things fall out after the end of the season.
He might be taking a year off rather than just jump right back in.

I mean, it's not like the Chiefs job was a great opportunity.

So basically, you really don't know what Lovie wants or if he has quietly turned down offers to interview for *whatever* reason.

I guess to point to a guy that just had a Loooooong run as the Bears headcoach as proof that black head coaches get the shaft seems a bit counter-intuitive.

P.S. I'm a big fan of Lovie, he will be fine, he was just the fall-guy for the GM's failure to ever land the Bears an offensive line.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:10 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,631,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Lovie may just personally be waiting to see how things fall out after the end of the season.

So basically, you really don't know what Lovie wants or if he has quietly turned down offers to interview for *whatever* reason.

I guess to point to a guy that just had a Loooooong run as the Bears headcoach as proof that black head coaches get the shaft seems a bit counter-intuitive.

P.S. I'm a big fan of Lovie, he will be fine, he was just the fall-guy for the GM's failure to ever land the Bears an offensive line.
I heard he was interviewing with San Diego. Seems like a good fit to me.

Old 01-15-2013, 11:23 AM

45,300 posts, read 26,793,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
I heard he was interviewing with San Diego. Seems like a good fit to me.
Nope. Broncos OC McCoy got the Charger job.

Old 01-15-2013, 12:24 PM

Quote:

He's not taking a year off otherwise we have heard that. His name being brought up for different jobs means that he is available. Cowher & Gruden told people that they werent available.

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 01-15-2013 at 12:26 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-15-2013, 01:46 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,771,484 times
Quote:
BTW Andy Reid's coaching record is 130-93, Lovie Smith is 81-63, Ken Wisenhunt is 45-51 & Todd Haley is 19-26.
Comparing winning records isn't really fair in this situation because most of the guys getting jobs are offensive coaches. Whisenhunt for the record did have Kurt Warner but if you look at Warner's numbers from '02-'06, they aren't anything special, very Kevin Kolb like. Plus Whisenhunt coached for the Cardinals, the Bidwills are so cheap they eat cornflakes with a fork to save milk!!!

Lovie is a good coach, he just needed a better O line and O coordinator. That's his job to find.

Last edited by James420; 01-15-2013 at 01:47 PM.. Reason: H

Old 01-15-2013, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Comparing winning records isn't really fair in this situation because most of the guys getting jobs are offensive coaches. Whisenhunt for the record did have Kurt Warner but if you look at Warner's numbers from '02-'06, they aren't anything special, very Kevin Kolb like. Plus Whisenhunt coached for the Cardinals, the Bidwills are so cheap they eat cornflakes with a fork to save milk!!!

Lovie is a good coach, he just needed a better O line and O coordinator. That's his job to find.
Right!

Old 01-16-2013, 12:35 PM

9,787 posts, read 11,443,293 times
All you guys talking about Andy Reids coaching ability really?
I wouldn't hire Andy Reid until he gets his head on straight
Took this article from a philly newspaper
Quote:
No franchise could endure two seasons like Reid's 2012. Every incident, every misstep, every misevaluation, lay at the feet of Andy Reid.

A cataclysmically awful signing; the drug-related death of a nepotistic hire; the insistence by his agent that he could coach in Philadelphia forever; the firing of a loyal, if miscast, lieutenant, and the subsequent, disastrous ascension of an overmatched assistant; the late-game injury to the most valuable player on the team in an unwinnable game; the dismissal of an insubordinate defensive lineman, then his insubordinate position coach.

And, throughout, Reid's pernicious refusal, in defiance of his owner's dictate, to put a congenial face on the franchise he represented.

These things actually happened.

We checked our notes.

Maybe teams like the Cards did not.

To begin with, Reid signed off on the disastrous acquisition of left tackle Demetress Bell, brought aboard to replace injured Jason Peters, the team's best player. As vice president of football operations, Reid ultimately is on the hook for the signing. A former lineman and offensive-line coach, misevaluation of linemen long has been a shortcoming of Reid's.

During his autocratic reign, which began during the ill-fated 2001 draft, Reid has found gems in just two linemen: 2005 fourth-rounder Todd Herremans and second-year center Jason Kelce, lost in the second game this season.

It was offensive-line coach Juan Castillo who developed centers Hank Fraley and Jamaal Jackson, neither of whom was drafted. Peters already had been to a Pro Bowl when he arrived. Weight the acquisition and quick flame-out of eccentric guard Shaun Andrews as you will
Bell never earned a starting spot, though he filled in five times. He did not even take a snap in six games. Offensive line depth doomed 2012 before it started.

Deeper doom awaited.

What happened Aug. 5 might be the worst thing to happen in Philadelphia sports history.

Reid's oldest child, Garrett Reid, died of a heroin overdose in August at training camp. Garrett, 29, was in employ of the Eagles as a strength coach, despite no qualifications for the job besides bloodlines. He was on property the team leased, actively serving in his capacity as a coach. Steroids and syringes also were found in his room.
n 2007, Garrett went to jail on drug charges. Steroids were in the mix then, too. In 2009 he went back to jail for fighting at a halfway house.

No coach in the NFL has the sort of baggage Garrett Reid carried.

Still, he was hired; on the sideline and in the weight room wearing team gear every day.

The death of any sick, addicted young man is awful; the grief of burying a child, simply blinding.

But Reid put his team in the position to have to explain why a strength coach he had hired, whom many players called a close friend, brought heroin and steroids onto team property, and used, at least, one of the drugs (test results for the presence of testosterone in Garrett's body remain unreleased).

How do you explain this?

Maybe the Cardinals won't ask.

The rest of 2012 simply continued a descent past the bizarre, into the incredible.

Just 6 days after Garrett Reid's death, Andy Reid's agent, country singer look-alike Bob LaMonte, visited Eagles training camp.

There, LaMonte assured reporters that Lurie had told him "again and again" that Reid never would be fired as coach in Philadelphia. Lurie and Reid quickly decried LaMonte's assertion, which, at the time, reeked of opportunistic strong-arming, given the recentness of Garrett's death.

The season had not even started. Mercifully.

The Eagles' offense was terrible, especially at Arizona in Game 3, but the team still won three of its first four games - by a total of four points. The Birds blew leads in the two games preceding the bye week. Reid fired Castillo after that sixth game - Castillo, whom, in 2011, Reid moved heaven and earth to promote from offensive line coach to defensive coordinator.
To facilitate Castillo's hire, Reid coaxed Howard Mudd out of retirement to replace Castillo, a feat made easier since Reid already had Mudd's pal, defensive-line coach Jim Washburn, a hot commodity who preached a chancy "wide-nine" scheme.

The Eagles were 11-11 in Castillo's run as coordinator but had blown seven fourth-quarter leads. Usually, the offense played atrociously in those fourth quarters, too. Castillo's overall defense never was dynamic, but it had held opposing quarterbacks to a 69.4 passer rating, then second-best in the league.
Defensive-backs coach Todd Bowles succeeded Castillo. The Eagles lost nine of their remaining 10 games, allowed nearly 32 points per game and a passer rating of 123.6, by far the worst in the league in that span.
In the midst of this, after the fifth post-Castillo loss Reid cut smart-mouth defensive end Jason Babin, a former first-round bust who flourished only in the wide-nine under Washburn, a bitter and righteous malcontent whom Reid fired the next week. Babin landed in Jacksonville, where he cemented his image as a selfish, surly, limited player.

Even when cast as scapegoat, Castillo - honorable to the end - offered no hint of outrage and never exulted in the team's failures. Perhaps the wrong three men were let go during the season.

In the light of the insanity that surrounded it, Reid's choice to let franchise running back LeSean McCoy remain in a game impossible to win seems a pedestrian oversight.

McCoy suffered a severe concussion. On a running play. From the Eagles' 36. Trailing by 25 points. With 2 minutes to play.

Asked twice afterward why McCoy - who broke the franchise's touchdown record in 2011 - was in the game, Reid twice replied, with the obstinate smugness that marred his 14-year tenure, that Reid was trying to win the game.

McCoy missed the next four games.

Quarterback Michael Vick had suffered a severe concussion the week before McCoy suffered his, which cost Vick the next six games. Standout tight end Brent Celek suffered a concussion in Game 13 and missed a week.

All three could play major roles in the Eagles' future. All three have large chunks of their careers ahead of them. There was no reason for any of them to play again in 2012, especially considering the NFL's purported concern for player safety and its heightened alarm at the effects of concussions.

Reid must have missed those memos.

McCoy and Celek returned for the last two games; Vick, for the finale.

Why? Because they gave Reid the best chance to win.

Reid.

Yes, Reid likely will be paid to make these decisions again in 2012, and beyond.

Certainly, in concert with former front-office savant Joe Banner, Reid deserves credit for his transformation of the Eagles into a respected, if corporatized, franchise. Exactly what Arizona never has been.

Buyers, beware.

Andy Reid? Do your homework, Cardinals - Philly.com

Old 01-16-2013, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
All you guys talking about Andy Reids coaching ability really?
I wouldn't hire Andy Reid until he gets his head on straight
Took this article from a philly newspaper
Andy Reid? Do your homework, Cardinals - Philly.com
My point exactly.

Old 01-16-2013, 08:51 PM

45,300 posts, read 26,793,042 times
Quote:

Quote:
He's not taking a year off otherwise we have heard that. His name being brought up for different jobs means that he is available. Cowher & Gruden told people that they werent available.

He's taking a year off.

Lovie Smith expected to sit out 2013 season

Former Bears coach Lovie Smith interviewed for three NFL head-coaching vacancies but the respective clubs picked other candidates.

And while two openings remain, Smith isn't believed to be a candidate for either.

So Smith is expected to sit out the 2013 NFL season and reconsider his options next offseason, according to a league source.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football