U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 09:18 AM

9,447 posts, read 17,480,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
But it was quite obvious that RG3 hurt his team, and has left Redskins fans playing "what if." The Redskins were winning at halftime. What if Kirk Cousins came out in the second half and was able to at least string a few field goal drives together, giving the defense time to rest.
Redskins fans saw their team lose a playoff game. They're going to play "what if" no matter what.

As you stated, the Redskins were ahead at halftime. What if Kirk Cousins had played in the second half and was NOT able to move the ball and the Skins lost the game?

Every Redskins fan would be second guessing, blaming Shanahan for pulling RGIII when he was still able to keep a lead. Shanahan was in a no-win situation there. He had a star QB who insisted that he was okay to play and who had given the team a lead.

Granted, I was also wondering if it wasn't time to pull him, especially as I watched him limp to the sidelines on that 9-yard run, but if he hadn't suffered that freakish injury going after a bad hike, I'd probably have never thought any more about it other than "tough kid".

The comparison with Cutler is a good one. Cutler comes out and is labeled by the fans as a wimp. RGIII stays in, suffers a more serious injury, and Shanahan is blasted by the fans. We all love to play Monday morning QB. It's easy, and we always make good decisions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2013, 09:20 AM

21,481 posts, read 22,049,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
RG3 is a young kid with the heart of a warrior. He was not going to take himself out of the game, and it wasn't his business to. With RG3 being the leader he is, if he can walk, he's going to play.
no, not a "young kid", he's a grown man.

where's the responsibility in the role that he has in this? He had to have known that he couldn't perform and was only going to hurt the team by being out there....pretty selfish.

Old 01-08-2013, 09:27 AM

570 posts, read 495,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I wouldn't even compare Cutler and RG3. Cutler was caught walking around Hollywood without a brace and no noticeable limp 4 days after his "knee injury."
Walking and throwing and playing football are 2 different things (edit-one sentence)
thanks to the bears staff they made the right call...
if it happens to peyton should he play or should he go?

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 01-09-2013 at 09:26 AM.. Reason: Thread topic is RG3

Old 01-08-2013, 10:08 AM

9,349 posts, read 5,602,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

where's the responsibility in the role that he has in this? He had to have known that he couldn't perform and was only going to hurt the team by being out there....pretty selfish.
While i dont disagree...thats just what star players do. They want.to will themselves through injury to lead their team to victory. Michael Jordsn played through the.Flu in the.nba finals (grsnted he was sick but not injured)

And look at jay cutler a few years ago. He suffered damage to his knee and made the decision to tske himself out of the game. And he.got ripped for it by the.entire country and.people questioned his heart.

One thing rg3 doesnt lack is heart, and in this case it may have blinded hm into thinking he.could still perform.

@Wyo, i agree. Its easy to play "woulda, coulda, shoulda" the day after. But even though the officiL statement on griffin's injury wont come out untl tonight or.tomorrow, the facts remain. RG3's knee was in such bad shape, that it completely fell apart on a play where he wasnt even.touched. even with that big ass.knee brace that is suposed.to help stabalize the ACL. if his knee was weak enough to fall apart with no contact, he.probably shouldnt have been out there.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:23 AM

570 posts, read 495,748 times
the bears made the call, cutler wanted to play,and I believe he played 1 qrt. with the injury...

Old 01-08-2013, 10:29 AM

139 posts, read 115,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post

Young kid or grown man? Thats in the eye of the beholder. (or the age of the beholder)
In my eyes, he's a kid.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:30 AM

6,228 posts, read 6,872,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I wouldn't even compare Cutler and RG3. Cutler was caught walking around Hollywood without a brace and no noticeable limp 4 days after his "knee injury."
That's what is confusing, the limp. Players and RG3 have stated before games that the brace will restrict movement and add a limp. Every single time I've seen RG3 walk to the podium after a game he is not limping including the last game. I know his knee is injured but apparently a limp may not be required unless one is running, turning, jumping etc.

Last edited by jmking; 01-08-2013 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-08-2013, 10:32 AM

5,886 posts, read 4,206,874 times
Anyone trying to criticize RGIII for not taking himself out is partially off base. Yeah he probably should have realized he was risking his future and really hurting his team during that game but he's a young kid who wants to play. It's the responsibility of the his COACHES to do what's right and do what's best for him even if that means not playing. Shanahan should be ashamed of himself. And don't give me the line "RGIII told him he could go." Please. I could tell from my couch that he was hurt in the second quarter and couldn't go. Shanahan knew better.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:35 AM

28,367 posts, read 26,401,005 times
If Dr. James Andrews is coming to one of your games after a knee injury, that's probably a sign you aren't ready to play football.

Similarly, if Dr. Phil is accompanying you to work after a painful divorce, that's probably a sign that you aren't ready to go to work.

Old 01-08-2013, 10:48 AM

5,768 posts, read 4,270,810 times
I'm already sick of the back and forth arguments about the need to blame someone for RGIII's injury. Nobody is to blame. What happened happened. Get over it. We don't know the full extent of what goes on during the heat of battle, and so it's a bit unfair for the talking heads to start pointing fingers. What's done is done. The Redskins lost. RGIII is injured. Let's move on to getting Griffin healthy, and the Redskins capitalizing on a great season.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football