U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:29 AM

10,830 posts, read 14,914,213 times

Advertisements

Turner had kicked 5 chippy extra points. Not exactly the same as a game winning FG in OT.
There was a 2-3 minute delay after the first over time.

Baltimore was already in field goal range at the 34 yard line.
1st-10, Denver 34 15:00
13:18 FG good

Why was Tucker allowed to go on the field and kick a practice field goal 1:42 before the winning kick?
There should be a rule against that.

Dierdorf questioned it as "I've never seen that before" (in his 41 years of college ball, pro ball and announcing)
Gumbel responded by rather saying "oh it was ok"

I say BS, foul on the NFL rules, and I'm not a Denver fan, so nothing to do with the teams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 08:39 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,698,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Turner had kicked 5 chippy extra points. Not exactly the same as a game winning FG in OT.

Why was Tucker allowed to go on the field and kick a practice field goal 1:42 before the winning kick?

Dierdorf questioned it as "I've never seen that before" (in his 41 years of college ball, pro ball and announcing)

I say BS, foul on the NFL rules, and I'm not a Denver fan, so nothing to do with the teams.
Read this article.

Apparantly it is not allowed but there is no penalty for it. The refs are supposed to tell the kickers to not do it...

Smart on the Baltimore kicker for taking advantage of the loophole..its like that bible quote "do first, ask for forgiveness later"....

Did the Baltimore Ravens get an illegal practice kick before game-winning field goal?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:42 AM

21,441 posts, read 22,000,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post

big whoop, it's against the rules but there is no penalty so too bad, kinda like when you go over the speed limit when no coppers are around.

Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 AM

17,579 posts, read 39,870,044 times
I don't see it as a big deal. The refs probably haven't seen anyone try to do it before.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:03 AM

16,536 posts, read 21,026,342 times
Baltimore out coached Denver in more ways than one. Credit Baltimore's coaching staff for sneaking the guy out there. And actually he really didn't sneak him, you've got jumbotrons on each end of the field, 74,000 plus fans and a nationwide TV audience saw it. And the Bronco coaching staff didn't? One of Assistant coaching 101's many items for job description is knowing the rules-frontwards and backwards.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:20 AM

10,830 posts, read 14,914,213 times
That's just lovely. It's against the rules but there is no penalty.
I'm not sure what penalty they could have imposed yesterday if it was the first time the rule was broken.
A yardage penalty would haver taken them out of field goal range. They can't disqualify the kicker from playing the rest of the game. A fine is no good, fines are slaps on the wrist.

Maybe the NFL needs to look at that, since according to D.D. he has never seen it happen.

I saw it and thought "what is he doing on the field kicking practice kicks."

Both teams practice on the field before games. Maybe even at half time, I don't watch half time shows.

I did not see Flacko throwing a few practice passes to one of his receivers.
Bad rule and it may be a case where the refs. have to prevent the practice kick from happening since I'm not sure what penalty the NFL could come up with.

Old 01-13-2013, 11:01 AM

4,247 posts, read 10,579,617 times
If ever a commentator could go away it's this guy. Unfortunately he's done one to many Texans games this year.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:58 AM

4,182 posts, read 4,642,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piyf View Post
If ever a commentator could go away it's this guy. Unfortunately he's done one to many Texans games this year.
Haha I was thinking along the same lines. And he can take the other Dan with him (Fouts) who did way too many Colts games this year.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:06 AM

9,114 posts, read 15,698,729 times
You guys who are blasting dierdorf (I'm assuming most were Denver fans), to be fair he was backing manning on that "tuck rule" controversial fumble....he thought it should've been an incomplete pass.....do you remember that?

You don't have to worry next week because Nantz and Simms will be doing the games (as will Buck and Troy on FOX)

Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM

5,720 posts, read 4,252,274 times
I like Dierdorf a lot. He is one of the few commentators I actually don't mind listening too. The others I just mute. He has probably never seen this before because its probably the first time it has ever happened. There have only been a handful of double overtime games in NFL history so there have not been a lot of opportunities. One thing, the Ravens obviously got an unfair advantage by practicing the FG before hand. It was an obvious no no. The league will likely come up with something to reprimand the TEAM and put a rule in the books to penalize the team for such actions. Was it fair? no! But like anything, if there is a loop hole, someone will exploit it until they get in trouble for doing so.. IMO, it didn't change the outcome of the game.. but don't you think John Harbaugh had images of Billy Cundiff misses that chip shot in last years playoffs... and saw an opportunity to get a few practice swings in and took it.. can't really blame him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football