Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
Sorry the 49ers aren't my team, actually I can't stand em but the 49ers will get all the play cause of their history and the NFL would want a Patriot / 49er Superbowl. If you want Atlanta to get some more respect then they need to at least get to the Superbowl.

Don't forget the second shooter on the grassy knoll.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 11:29 PM

3,490 posts, read 3,790,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Don't forget the second shooter on the grassy knoll.
No second shooter, the NFL will make more money off a Patriots vs 49ers Superbowl than a Ravens vs Falcons Superbowl. That's obvious, but it doesn't mean I think the NFL would make it happen. Personally I'd like to see Atlanta beat the 49ers just to prove everyone in league doesnt need a college style offense to win.

Old 01-14-2013, 06:09 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James420 View Post
No second shooter, the NFL will make more money off a Patriots vs 49ers Superbowl than a Ravens vs Falcons Superbowl. That's obvious, but it doesn't mean I think the NFL would make it happen. Personally I'd like to see Atlanta beat the 49ers just to prove everyone in league doesnt need a college style offense to win.

Not sure I follow... I think the Patriots vs 49ers make the best matchup but I am not sure you can say that matchup makes the NFL more money.. the commercials have already been bought.. All the big $$$ has already been spent.. Atlanta is a bigger market than SF and I don't see a big difference in the fan base.. Same with NE and Baltimore.. I don't think there will be a significant difference in revenue regardless of who plays..

Old 01-14-2013, 09:56 AM

1,969 posts, read 3,595,195 times
Awfully cocky for a team who blew a 20 point 2nd half lead, and only won because of a botched attempt to ice the kicker, who would have missed and lost the game had Carroll not stupidly called the time out. I look forward to revisiting this thread on a week.

Old 01-14-2013, 10:14 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Not sure I follow... I think the Patriots vs 49ers make the best matchup but I am not sure you can say that matchup makes the NFL more money.. the commercials have already been bought.. All the big $$$ has already been spent.. Atlanta is a bigger market than SF and I don't see a big difference in the fan base.. Same with NE and Baltimore.. I don't think there will be a significant difference in revenue regardless of who plays..
I don't know all the ins and outs of figures and stuff like that, but I can assure you in terms of TV ratings, having Brady in the Superbowl would be a much bigger draw than Ray Lewis...whether you like him or not, the accomplice to murder storyline hangs over alot of peoples heads.... Many people will not be interested in Ray Lewis because of the whole thuggery thing years ago. The NFL heads want to maximize revenues and ratings are a HUGE component of $$.

Also, I think you need to be careful when discussing markets and who's 'bigger'. I disagree w/you on Atl being a 'bigger' market than SF in terms of watching the game. Gun to my head, I'm thinking the 'casual' fan would be more interested in seeing Colin Kapernick than Matty Ice....that's just me, but I could be wrong. If it was Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben, they would draw much more, but those guys are not in it..... I'll get bashed from Atlanta fans, but I'm just expressing my opinion on that comparison....

NFL head honchos want a 49er / Patriot Super Bowl....you wont get Goddell to admit it, but secretly I gotta think that's what they want.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:07 PM

You could be right.. but I think the ratings will be similar regardless of who plays. The Super Bowl is an event that extends beyond the teams. MOST casual football fans will watch or attend a party and could care less who is playing....

Old 01-14-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
Awfully cocky for a team who blew a 20 point 2nd half lead, and only won because of a botched attempt to ice the kicker, who would have missed and lost the game had Carroll not stupidly called the time out. I look forward to revisiting this thread on a week.
I don't know about cocky but what I do know is the game is 4 quarters not 1 or 2 for that matter. You don't get an award for outplaying a team in the 4th quarter when you didn't show up for the first half..

Old 01-14-2013, 01:30 PM

8,977 posts, read 17,277,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
I don't know all the ins and outs of figures and stuff like that, but I can assure you in terms of TV ratings, having Brady in the Superbowl would be a much bigger draw than Ray Lewis...whether you like him or not, the accomplice to murder storyline hangs over alot of peoples heads.... Many people will not be interested in Ray Lewis because of the whole thuggery thing years ago. The NFL heads want to maximize revenues and ratings are a HUGE component of $$.

Also, I think you need to be careful when discussing markets and who's 'bigger'. I disagree w/you on Atl being a 'bigger' market than SF in terms of watching the game. Gun to my head, I'm thinking the 'casual' fan would be more interested in seeing Colin Kapernick than Matty Ice....that's just me, but I could be wrong. If it was Aaron Rodgers or Big Ben, they would draw much more, but those guys are not in it..... I'll get bashed from Atlanta fans, but I'm just expressing my opinion on that comparison....

NFL head honchos want a 49er / Patriot Super Bowl....you wont get Goddell to admit it, but secretly I gotta think that's what they want.
The first Super Bowl to ever exceed 100 million viewers was a battle between teams from Indianapolis and New Orleans. Not exactly heavy weights as far as market size.

The Super Bowl is too the point that it doesn't really matter who is playing to achieve monster ratings, and the NFL isn't worried about who plays in the game.

Old 01-14-2013, 01:57 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The first Super Bowl to ever exceed 100 million viewers was a battle between teams from Indianapolis and New Orleans. Not exactly heavy weights as far as market size.

The Super Bowl is too the point that it doesn't really matter who is playing to achieve monster ratings, and the NFL isn't worried about who plays in the game.
Excuse my french, but you are 100% completely naieve if you think the NFL doesn't care who makes the superbowl....I don't mean to be ugly, but that is the most rediculous thing I've heard in awhile...

You have Peyton Manning who was/is as popular as hell throughout many parts of the country, and Drew Brees and the whole New Orleans/Katrina rebuilding thing...

That's why that got HUGE ratings...Just like Brady is today....god, if manning and Denver made the superbowl it would've been huge...

Sorry to say but Baltimore/Atlanta has no real appeal except for Ray Lewis.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:20 PM

2,558 posts, read 2,900,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't know about cocky but what I do know is the game is 4 quarters not 1 or 2 for that matter. You don't get an award for outplaying a team in the 4th quarter when you didn't show up for the first half..
Hey I'm just happy Atlanta FINALLY won a playoff game!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football