Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2013, 08:41 AM

945 posts, read 964,934 times

Advertisements

Can anyone make a salient argument as to why this racist rule is in place in the NFL?

Why isn't the Rooney Rule applied to players? (70% are black)

I just listened to Peter King claim we need to expand this rule to coordinators and other positions because it is not serving it purpose. (The purpose is to propel minorities to positions without merit or potentially being the best candidate for the position.)

I can't believe we can have a sport with has 70% of its player being minorities (even though blacks are 13% of the general population) and has massive over-representation yet no whites cry afoul or press the NFL about this ridiculously skewed demographics.

On the other hand the NFL requires you to interview a minority even if they are clearly a lesser candidate.

Please, if anyone can even attempt to defend this non-sense have at it..

Old 01-24-2013, 08:45 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,075,929 times
I mean, at the end of the day the rule only calls for an interview...

I'm sure teams can and have worked around it by just interviewing a black guy, even though they have no intentions of hiring him.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
I mean, at the end of the day the rule only calls for an interview...

I'm sure teams can and have worked around it by just interviewing a black guy, even though they have no intentions of hiring him.

But why would you make someone do that? Why wouldn't you just let the team select the best candidates and if they happen to be white, black, asian, etc then so be it?

How can you literally have racism in the selection of players and coveting of black athletes and their perceived athletic superiority on average to white-Americans, which has never been covered.

Then you say on the administrative end you cry racism in the implementation of the Rooney rule and make a circus out of the minorities and the hiring process? The NFL product is so good it makes me swallow my principles, but the system is despicable.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:24 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,075,929 times
Hey man, you make a good argument and I hear what you're saying.

Hell, as a black dude myself, I'd feel kinda weird getting a job through the NFL's version of affirmative action LOL.

I feel like if you're the best man for the job, white or black, you'll get hired. There are what...4 black head coaches in the league right now? Were any of them hired as a result of the Rooney Rule, or were they just considered to be the best man for the job by the front office?

Old 01-24-2013, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Hell, as a black dude myself, I'd feel kinda weird getting a job through the NFL's version of affirmative action LOL.

I feel like if you're the best man for the job, white or black, you'll get hired. There are what...4 black head coaches in the league right now? Were any of them hired as a result of the Rooney Rule, or were they just considered to be the best man for the job by the front office?

You would hope that they are the best candidate. If not your team will suffer for it.

4 head coaches is roughly the proper breakdown of blacks in the general population also.

4/32 (teams) = 12.5%

US Black population = approximately 13%

That is pretty close

Old 01-24-2013, 11:22 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,490,862 times
Quote:

Mike Tomlin is a perfect example. Even the Steelers owner said it. The Steelers were going to go with Ken Wisenhunt or Russ Grimm as their coach but they interviewed Mike Tomlin (Rooney Rule) and he blew them away at the interview so they hired him. If it wasnt for the Rooney rule he would of never gotten the interview.

The NFL is saying to just give the minority candidate an interview cause he might cause you to change your mind otherwise the candidate might not get an oppurtunity to interview.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
You would hope that they are the best candidate. If not your team will suffer for it.

4 head coaches is roughly the proper breakdown of blacks in the general population also.

4/32 (teams) = 12.5%

US Black population = approximately 13%

That is pretty close
It's not 4 black coaches, there are only 3. Minnesota, Pittsburgh & Cincinnati all have black coaches.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derosterreich View Post
Can anyone make a salient argument as to why this racist rule is in place in the NFL?

Why isn't the Rooney Rule applied to players? (70% are black)

I just listened to Peter King claim we need to expand this rule to coordinators and other positions because it is not serving it purpose. (The purpose is to propel minorities to positions without merit or potentially being the best candidate for the position.)

I can't believe we can have a sport with has 70% of its player being minorities (even though blacks are 13% of the general population) and has massive over-representation yet no whites cry afoul or press the NFL about this ridiculously skewed demographics.

On the other hand the NFL requires you to interview a minority even if they are clearly a lesser candidate.

Please, if anyone can even attempt to defend this non-sense have at it..
Players are chosen and drafted by measurable skills (accuracy, 40 times, etc..) coaches are not. Coaches are chosen off of faith. So your comparison fails.

Old 01-24-2013, 11:34 AM

Here is good article that explains the differences between hiring coaches and drafting players.

Dan Rooney defends the rule that bears his name, hints at expansion | ProFootballTalk

Old 01-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
Coaches are chosen off of faith. So your comparison fails.

That is beyond an absurd notion. Players are chosen on faith just as much as coaches are, if not more so. By your logic every person that finishes highest on the combine drills automatically is a good NFL player and get drafted high in the 1st round. That isn't true in reality.

Coaches have to have a body of work that is closer to real life interviews. Players are routinely drafted on a hunch, or did not have an immense body of work in college.

An over representation of blacks is considered OK and makes complete sense, yet when the numbers play out in coaching (there were 4 coaches until Lovie Smith got canned.) essentially identical to the general population demographics there is perceived racism against blacks. The NFL and people who make excuses for its hiring practices in all facets should be sued and ostracized for their outdated selective affirmative action process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football