Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2013, 02:45 PM

3,429 posts, read 2,723,455 times

Advertisements

If you were a pro quarterback today, and you found yourself magically transported back to 1978, what innovations might you try to bring to the game? In other words, are there plays, formations, coaching techniques, draft-pick strategies, or overall strategies developed over the past 40 years that, if adopted by a team in 1978, might give that team an edge? And if so, how do you think other teams and sports reporters would react to these innovations? What things might they do in order to adjust to your team's innovations? And finally, how much would any of these innovations actually help your team?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2013, 06:21 PM

367 posts, read 763,541 times
The rules for defensive backs in the 70's limited the freedom of receivers past five yards of the line of scrimmage so I wouldn't expand my passing formation of the playbook.

I would draft massive and agile offensive linemen and tall, quick and physical wide receivers for quick strikes downfield. I'd develop an 80's Broncos zone blocking scheme with 90's Cowboys pass blocking/road graders like Larry Allen and steam roll the opposition with Earl Campbell, Emmitt Smith and Darrel Sproles types rotating depending on down and distance. This would own the clock wear out the other team's D and keep my D fresh well into the fourth quarter of the Super Bowl So they'd have the energy to raise a cooler of gatorade over Jimmy Johnson's helmet hair more than three times.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:36 AM

3,429 posts, read 2,723,455 times
Thanks, Vols44, these are the sorts of considerations I'd like to become aware of. (I'm writing a sci-fi novel in which knowing about these sorts of changes might be relevant.)

What about "zone read" plays. From what I can tell, these are a fairly recent innovation. What if some team in, say, 1978 started doing this? How quickly would defenses adjust? And what kind of adjustment would they make? What sorts of things might sports-casters say the first time they saw it in the NFL? Would there be any confusion, at first, as people tried to figure out exactly what the team is doing? Or would it be fairly obvious to everyone right up front?

Old 02-02-2013, 07:35 PM

367 posts, read 763,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylenwoof View Post
Thanks, Vols44, these are the sorts of considerations I'd like to become aware of. (I'm writing a sci-fi novel in which knowing about these sorts of changes might be relevant.)

What about "zone read" plays. From what I can tell, these are a fairly recent innovation. What if some team in, say, 1978 started doing this? How quickly would defenses adjust? And what kind of adjustment would they make? What sorts of things might sports-casters say the first time they saw it in the NFL? Would there be any confusion, at first, as people tried to figure out exactly what the team is doing? Or would it be fairly obvious to everyone right up front?
The zone read is a new twist and would be just as effective as the wishbone was in college football. Something to remember is defenders in the NFL seal the ends much quicker and outside runs aren't as explosive as they are in the college ranks. The read is a hybrid of the double option made popular by running quarterbacks. It would require a stout signal caller like Cam Newton who could take the hits and be a passing threat on passes to a quick and speedy wideout like Steve Smith.

Sportscasters would be amazed at the early results and do exhaustive homework before the next week's games to explain the effects of the read option and how effective a Kapernick or Griffin is in the scheme and how the blocking schemes create daylight for big plays.

Finally the success level of any offensive scheme relies on the agility of it's linemen more than the abilities of the skill positions. Most college linemen are taught the finer points of pass blocking once they make the cut in the NFL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football