Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2013, 02:12 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
I changed my post to take out the argumentative blah, blah, blah! No, I watched the Pack and the Chiefs and No. 2 was
the Green Bay/Oakland, they won both games. They didn't play the Cowboys in the SB. Later ones were Patriots, and Broncos then Steelers. Played 5, won 4.

So the Ice Bowl was a year before the SB era?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,203,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I believe the 1st SB was in 1967 between the Packers and Cowboys. The one you watched was SB2
The Packers and Cowboys were both in the NFL back when there was a distinct NFL and AFL. Those two teams played in the 1966 and 1967 NFL championship games. Super Bowl I was played between the Packers and Chiefs (AFL champions) after the 1966 season in January 1967.

The name "Super Bowl" came about because it wasn't a league championship game when it first started being played (it was a game between two league champions), and calling the game between the two league champions the "AFL-NFL World Championship Game" was a mouthful. AFL founder and Kansas City Chiefs owner Lamar Hunt came up with the name; one of his children was playing with a then-new super ball (one of those rubber balls that can bounce really high when hit upon a hard surface like concrete) and Hunt unintentionally associated the name for the high-bouncing ball, the meaning of the word "super", and the common name for college postseason football games (bowls) together. No one (including Hunt) really liked the name (supposedly NFL commissioner Pete Rozelle really hated it) but no one could come up with a better, equally simple name and the press caught wind of Hunt's name and was calling the AFL-NFL world championship game the Super Bowl as early as Super Bowl I. (The name Super Bowl wasn't semi-official until Super Bowl III - the Super Bowl III game program said "Super Bowl" - and wasn't fully official until Super Bowl V (5) after the AFL and NFL merged.)

The real question for people who remember watching Super Bowl I was whether you watched it on CBS (the NFL's TV broadcast partner at the time) or NBC (the AFL's TV broadcast partner at the time). Both networks televised it with their own announcing crews, though I think both networks used CBS' camera shots during the game.

EDIT: The Ice Bowl was the 1967 NFL championship game. The Packers, who won that game, played in (and won) Super Bowl II against the Raiders.

Last edited by CHIP72; 02-03-2013 at 02:40 PM..

Old 02-03-2013, 02:20 PM

22,269 posts, read 47,198,180 times
DH remembers Supergame, Super Bowl I... and he cheered for Green Bay to beat KC.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:21 PM

5,718 posts, read 7,206,374 times
Although I probably saw the first two, I didn't pay that much attention and don't really remember them.

But I sure do remember seeing the Colts drop number III to the Jets.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:24 PM

One other note - the first four Super Bowls were between the AFL and NFL before they merged. The participants in those games were the AFL and NFL champions that year.

Following up on that point, you could probably win money from most sports fans if you ask them how many NFL championships the Minnesota Vikings have won. The answer is one - they won the NFL title in 1969 but lost Super Bowl IV to the Chiefs.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:25 PM

8,941 posts, read 17,173,721 times
The earliest Super Bowl I remember watching and knowing what was going on was the first Cowboys-Bills Super Bowl. I was rooting for the Cowboys, because their uniforms looked similar to the Detroit Lions (I was 9 years old).

Old 02-03-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
The earliest Super Bowl I remember watching and knowing what was going on was the first Cowboys-Bills Super Bowl. I was rooting for the Cowboys, because their uniforms looked similar to the Detroit Lions.
Super Bowl XXVII (27), after the 1992 season in January 1993.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:35 PM

14,285 posts, read 14,526,037 times
Thanks for the details Chip! I knew about the ice bowl but was pretty sure Packers didn't play Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:45 PM
FBJ FBJ started this thread

39,605 posts, read 58,797,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Thanks for the details Chip! I knew about the ice bowl but was pretty sure Packers didn't play Cowboys in the Super Bowl.

You know what I have no idea how I made that error-lol Knowing that two NFC teams can't play each other in the SB. I;m slipping at my old age

Old 02-03-2013, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
You know what I have no idea how I made that error-lol Knowing that two NFC teams can't play each other in the SB. I;m slipping at my old age
Interestingly, here were the matchups in the 1968 and 1969 NFL championship games:

1968: Baltimore Colts defeated Cleveland Browns
1969: Minnesota Vikings defeated Cleveland Browns

(In the AFL championship games, the Jets defeated the Raiders in 1968 and the Chiefs defeated the Raiders in 1969.)

The Colts and Browns (and Steelers) were all NFL teams in the 1960s, but moved to the AFC when the AFL and NFL merged prior to the 1970 season. The conference shift was considered necessary because the NFL had 16 teams at the time of the merger while the AFL had only 10 teams. By shifting 3 teams from the NFL group to the AFL group (i.e. the AFC), the number of teams in the new AFC and NFC would be balanced at 13 teams each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football