U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 03:29 PM

383 posts, read 1,039,509 times

Advertisements

Favre brings respect to the sport in my opinion, so of course he is fun to watch. Tom Brady is amazing this year but he has an amazing team to go with him. I say give him a few more years and we will see what he is truly made of.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:42 PM

16,531 posts, read 20,991,509 times
Trucking Bronco is right. There are 10 quarterbacks you can make a case on as to who is the best. Here is my ten: Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Terry Bradshaw, Bobby Layne, and Bart Starr. That is right now. I am leaving Manning and Brady only for now because they are active, but boy are they active!! I'll explain my list tomorrow night, kids and halloween keeping me busy tonight.

Old 10-31-2007, 09:15 PM

5,772 posts, read 13,738,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Trucking Bronco is right. There are 10 quarterbacks you can make a case on as to who is the best. Here is my ten: Sammy Baugh, Otto Graham, Johnny Unitas, Joe Montana, John Elway, Dan Marino, Brett Favre, Terry Bradshaw, Bobby Layne, and Bart Starr. That is right now. I am leaving Manning and Brady only for now because they are active, but boy are they active!! I'll explain my list tomorrow night, kids and halloween keeping me busy tonight.
Finally someone mentioned Marino. DoubleH, you beat me to the punch on adding Danno's name to the list. I was about ready to toss his name into the mix before I read your post. It really is difficult, maybe impossible, to name one as the greatest ever. Different players, different teams, different eras. And then there are the guys from back when, like starting with Starr and Unitas and moving back in time from there. Most people on this forum probably never saw those guys play, which makes it that much more difficult to compare them to the players you have seen.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:05 PM

9,605 posts, read 14,668,828 times
John Elway is better than Brett Favre. Brett Favre makes too many poor decisions to be the greatest.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:16 PM

13,819 posts, read 25,187,685 times
maybe....but what Favre represents to today's NFL is unbuyable! Think Michael Vick...and do a 180-degree turn!

Old 11-01-2007, 09:27 AM

6,760 posts, read 10,437,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crbcrbrgv View Post
John Elway is better than Brett Favre. Brett Favre makes too many poor decisions to be the greatest.
Actually Elway made plenty of poor decisions early in his career when they would constantly get trounced in the super bowl. It wasn't until the 97 and 98 seasons when he had a very well balanced team that he was able to earn his rings. Head to head with Favre, the Denver defense was the difference. Favre had over 250 yards passing, 3tds and 1 int. Elway had less than 125 passing with 0tds and 2 ints. Denver forced 2 fumbles, and had an incredible running game with Terrell Davis.

Favre might make some bad decisions, but he's a risk taker. And with the exception of 3 or 4 seasons when he didn't have a great supporting offense, his risks have paid off far more times than they didn't. Consider his high interception seasons happened: when he played most of the year with a broken thumb on his throwing hand, and one when all 3 starting receivers were sidelined and he had 2 starting receivers that were called up from practice squads and had never practiced with Favre.

But once again, it comes down to opinion. Some would say Terry Bradshaw was a better QB than Elway. Or that Joe Montana was better than Favre. Its really only an opinion anyway.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:08 AM

792 posts, read 2,904,457 times
I'm not a huge Favre guy and maybe that has something to do with the nauseating and endless suck-ups in the media. But I see too many poor decisions, particularly early in his career for me to label Favre the greatest. No way is he on the level of Joe Montana. I'd arguably include him in my top five and that is a great accolade in itself, but I just don't see out of the QBs of my generation, how Favre would be considered as good/better than Montana or Dan Marino. Where I do give Favre plenty of credit was when Green Bay reached back-to-back Super Bowl appearances in the late 90's, including winning one. Way too often the QB gets too much credit, as well as to much blame for a team's performance. But in this instance no question Favre was the primary reason for the Packer's success then, as the talent around him wasn't eye-popping. I also tend to think of Elway being hyped too much as well. Again, not saying he wasn't a great QB, but best ever? That is over the top- I saw Elway make many dopey decisions throughout the duration of his career, but the media has a very powerful influence over the way sports stars are portrayed, just as we all concede the news media does as well. And here is an example of a QB who got WAY too much credit for Super Bowl wins.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:53 AM

10,017 posts, read 17,025,880 times
Anyone that believes Elway didnt earn those wins never really watched him throw the ball. One man cannot carry a team, so if Elway didnt look as good as he was, I blame the team not Elway, most of the time he didnt have much to work with!! If you have a good team the QB will show you how good he really is.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:21 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,231,897 times
“you know, if there was a fountain of youth I would throw Brett Favre in there. You know that one guy, that pon-say day-lay-ownay”

(interviewer “you mean Ponce De leon”)

Madden: “yeah, that guy, well, he was the Brett Favre of explorers. You know, if I had, aaa, if I had a team with all Brett Favres and they played a team made of Brett Favres, well, I’d have a real tough time picking which one would win.”

-John Madden

Old 11-01-2007, 12:00 PM

792 posts, read 2,904,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
Anyone that believes Elway didnt earn those wins never really watched him throw the ball. One man cannot carry a team, so if Elway didnt look as good as he was, I blame the team not Elway, most of the time he didnt have much to work with!! If you have a good team the QB will show you how good he really is.

Despite my criticism of Elway and how he was given way too much credit for the two Super Bowl wins, he doesn't deserve the rap for all those S.B losses in the 80's either. Again QBs like I said get way too much credence and way too much blame for TEAM performances. Elway is a perfect illustration. He didn't have great players around him in the 80's, but his teams were generally the best of the bunch in regards to an inferior AFC conference at the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football