U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:50 PM

16,528 posts, read 20,983,579 times

Advertisements

Last night I listed my own personal opinion top 10 quarterbacks list. I am sure a couple of the QB's do not ring a bell with some of you. Before I start keep this in mind; throwing a hard or soft pass, being intimidated, being able to run with the ball, etc. And here is one important thing for the old time players from the 1960's and before-play selection. They did not have the advantage of having three coaches in the booth dissecting the opposition defense, much less having a speaker in their helmet listening to the head coach giving him the play. THEY were the three coaches in the booth. THEY were the head coach. Who is Sammy Baugh? He is the onle quarterback in NFL history to win an NFL championship his first year in the league. Half of his career he doubled as a defensive back and led the league in 1943 with eleven. On top of that,he led the NFL in punting six times. They called him Slinging Sam. Withe the exception of Sid Luckman, he was head and shoulders over all the other QB's in the NFL. A tremendous athlete in his day. In the middle part of his career he endured something no other QB had to worry about- the war effort. Just like Ted Williams, Joe DiMaggio, Hank Greenberg, Bob Feller, and many other baseball players, the NFL sent a lot of players overseas to serve for their country in WW-2.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:07 PM

Otto Graham. Otto was probably the first quarterback to be a result from the system. Paul Brown was the head coach of the Cleveland Browns starting in 1946. There was a rival league to the NFL called the AAFC (All American Football Conference). They started in 1946 and merged withe NFL in 1950. Cleveland won all four championships.After they joined the NFL, they won three more championships. That is a total of seven championships. Sammy Baugh retired in 1953, but Otto Graham won more championships than any other quarterback-ever.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:31 PM

Bobby Layne went up against Otto Graham and the Browns and beat them twice for the NFL championship. All told he won three with Detroit. He wasn't blessed with great natural ability nor did he have a great throwing arm. But he had a great football mind and knew how to take underachievers and make them winners. Detroit had winning teams through much of the 1950's so they didn't have the luxury of picking up blue chippers in the early rounds. Layne took those lower round choices and made them play as a unit. And that is what a quarterback is out there to do. One last thing about him- he doubled as the extra point/field goal kicker as well.

Old 11-01-2007, 05:52 PM

Bart Starr was another product of the system but an incredible system it was.From 1961 to 1967 Starr led the Green Bay Packers to five NFL championships. Like Layne he did not have a cannon for an arm, but also like him he had a great football mind. He did not retire with gaudy stats. He just won. You talk about underachieving- he was a LOW draft pick-I believe in the seventeenth round. True he had a lot of talent around him but Starr and the Pack won five NFL championships and three in a row from '65 to 67. No one has done it before; no one has done it since.

Old 11-01-2007, 06:58 PM

Like Bart Starr Johnny Unitas was another underachiever. He came from the University of Louisville,I believe in the eleventh round. Originally drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers, he was cut.The guy who retained what would have been Unitas' spot on the roster was a 5'11'' quarterback by the name of Ted Marchibroda. Does that name ring a bell with you Colt fans? Until Elway, Montana, Marino, etal, came along, he was the most awesome quarterback I ever saw. He retired with close to 41,000 yards passing.That is not a huge figure by today's standards except for this one little tidbit of info. He played six seasons of his career when the seasons were twelve games long and the remainder of his career in fourteen game seasons. And with playoff games you only had one playoff game-the championship game. That adds up to 48 games-three seasons. Here is one stat that might not ever get toppled; a touchdown pass thrown in a game for 47 consecutive games. He had great touch on the ball, read defenses, had good velocity on his passes, and was was absolutely fearless in the pocket. Merlin Olson was part of the L.A. Rams defensive front called The Fearsome Foursome. Merlin once said " I always had the suspicion that he purposely would hold the ball an extra second or two just to let me know he was not afraid of getting hit." Deacon Jones was part of that line as well. Said Deacon, " Unitas was the best quarterback in my era and everyone elses era."

Old 11-01-2007, 07:14 PM

A couple other items in the for what it's worth department; players back then did not make squat for money. The clubs had little money invested in training facilities. Often times when players were hurt they were told to keep playing until they couldn't walk. That's just the way it was back then. Players of that era usually had off-season employment to make ends meet. There was no such thing as arthoscopic surgery. If a DB or a RB blew out two ligaments his career was generally done. I'll comment a little later on the newer players and also include a few others not mentioned by me or anyone else on this thread; Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Roger Staubach.

Old 11-01-2007, 08:04 PM

21,642 posts, read 30,258,627 times
Brett Favre is a great quaterback ( cute too ) But my all time will always be Roger Staubach.

Old 11-02-2007, 08:13 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,230,871 times
No offense to the old school quarterbacks, but they didn't have to deal with 300 pound lineman who run a 4.7

Old 11-02-2007, 09:24 AM

13,819 posts, read 25,181,661 times
Yeah...and when my dad was a kid....he had to walk 5 miles to school in the snow...with no jacket!

Old 11-04-2007, 05:06 AM

1,115 posts, read 3,239,556 times
That is just the thing about trying to decide who was best: The "what ifs". What if Unitas had played in today's NFL. What if he had had the schooling that Brady and Manning had in their youths. What if Dan Fouts (whom nobody has yet mentioned) had played on a team with a half decent defense?
The most current example is coming to light: What if Brady had the receivers that Manning had? Well, this year he does and he is taking advantage of it. My favorite "what if" is: What if the Steelers had taken a hometown boy in the 83 draft? It is often joked that Art Rooney's dying words were "we shoulda taken Marino".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football