Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2014, 07:56 PM

18,013 posts, read 27,460,166 times

Advertisements

You are correct in putting the Chargers atop that list despite the tie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,001,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
You are correct in putting the Chargers atop that list despite the tie.
I actually don't think I am. The Broncos own a 2-0 conference record, the Chargers 1-0. I believe that comes before common opponents. It hardly matters, though. The only week I care about the standings really is week 17. With that said, I was looking at the week 4 games and the Chargers play the Jaguars at home. I expect they'll be 3-1 and slide into first while the Broncos are on their bye.

Old 09-21-2014, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I actually don't think I am. The Broncos own a 2-0 conference record, the Chargers 1-0. I believe that comes before common opponents.
Well, if the Bolts beat the Broncos in their first division match up, the Broncos would quickly lose that conference match up... or any other myriad of things that can happen with 13 more games to go.

Quote:
It hardly matters, though.
Yeah, we can say that now. But the Bolts beat the Seahawks decisively whereas the Broncos lost. The Bolts are 1-1 so far against the superior NFC West and the Broncos are 0-1 so far.

We've got two weeks to hear a lot about the Bolts and Phillip Rivers. I'd keep that order right there for now until the Broncos prove otherwise.

The Bolts could easily be 6-1 when the Broncos meet them in Denver.

Old 09-22-2014, 04:41 AM

Quote:
Well, if the Bolts beat the Broncos in their first division match up, the Broncos would quickly lose that conference match up... or any other myriad of things that can happen with 13 more games to go.

Yeah, we can say that now. But the Bolts beat the Seahawks decisively whereas the Broncos lost. The Bolts are 1-1 so far against the superior NFC West and the Broncos are 0-1 so far.

We've got two weeks to hear a lot about the Bolts and Phillip Rivers. I'd keep that order right there for now until the Broncos prove otherwise.

The Bolts could easily be 6-1 when the Broncos meet them in Denver.
No need to worry about the Chargers right now. The Broncos have a bye and then a stout Arizona Cardinals team visits Denver. Worry about them. Both the Broncos and the Chargers are 2-1 and get two cracks at each other. That is the only time worrying about the Chargers is warranted because that's the only game the Broncos can directly influence that involves the Chargers. Everything else will balance out.

FWIW, I picked the Chargers to go 11-5 this year, so I obviously think they're a good team.

Old 09-25-2014, 12:04 AM

14,561 posts, read 23,065,107 times
Quote:
The difference is that San Diego got Seattle at home, and Seattle is about .500 on the road under Carroll. Denver was in Seattle, where they are damn near impossible. We still punched them in the mouth all game and were a OT coin flip away from probable victory even with 2 of our 3 receivers gimpy.

If San Diego had beat Seattle in Seattle, I would be much more impressed.

Old 09-25-2014, 03:49 AM

Either way, the AFC west has a decent strength of schedule this season and should help prep the top AFC West teams for the playoffs.

I'd like to see the Broncos do better against the Bolts this season than last season. Time will tell.

Old 09-25-2014, 04:43 AM

Quote:
Either way, the AFC west has a decent strength of schedule this season and should help prep the top AFC West teams for the playoffs.

I'd like to see the Broncos do better against the Bolts this season than last season. Time will tell.
If you go back to the schedule I picked, I have the Broncos splitting with the Chargers again this year. Ironically, I think it's going to be the visiting teams winning once again. The Broncos play the 49ers on SNF and then have a short week to get ready for the Chargers. It isn't very often the league makes a team play SNF AND TNF the same week, but when they do, that team always ends up losing. The good news is the game is a home game, but the Chargers are a good enough team the travel may not offset the shorter week for the Broncos.

I hope I'm wrong, though. @ Bosco, I somewhat agree. After watching the Broncos take the Seahawks to the wire in Seattle I believe they would have been able to handle them in Denver. The Chargers earned a quality win against them, no doubt, but it definitely helped they got the Seahawks at home.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:46 AM

Here are my picks for the AFC games this week:

Raiders vs Dolphins (in London): Dolphins. The Raiders played the Patriots close last week, and a game like that can go a long way toward building character and belief in a rebuilding team like Oakland. I believe if they were returning home and enjoying the normal weekly routine and sleeping in their own beds at night they would come out on Sunday and outplay the Miami Dolphins. Instead the timing of this game has conspired against them. The Raiders travel overseas to London, extending their East Coast trip last week to an Eastern Hemisphere trip this week. I think the Phins have just enough to take this one. Dolphins 24, Raiders 20.

Chargers vs Jaguars: Chargers. And big. The Jags have been blown out in all three of their losses, even the first, a game in which they led 17-0 at halftime. It gets worse for them. The Chargers may actually be the best team they've faced thus far. Combine that with it being a long trip for the Jags and I see this game getting out of hand early for the Jags. I realize predicting a blowout is always risky, but I really think it's going to happen here. Chargers 41, Jaguars 14.

Chiefs vs Patriots: Patriots. This game is harder to pick than it appears at first glance. The Chiefs have been a mixed bag, looking completely inept in week 1, and feisty in a 1-1 split in the subsequent weeks. They made a game of it against the Broncos and went into Miami and pulled away for a decisive win. The Pats have looked like mere mortals so far this year. Considering the way they couldn't put away the Raiders last week and they'll be playing in a hostile environment this week, I can easily see why someone would pick the Chiefs. But these Pats did survive the Raiders and don't have "off" weeks twice in a row very often. A renewed level of focus powers them through a tough one in Arrowhead. Patriots 30, Chiefs 27.

The Broncos take an early bye this year. I wasn't thrilled about it at first but I think it is coming at just the right time. They've played in some close games, each being 1-score finals. Demaryius Thomas seems to have been playing through an injury, so hopefully he'll be healthy with some time off. Also, they will be getting Danny T. back from injury for their week 5 tilt with the Cardinals.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:37 AM

It's been harder to keep up with this thread this year. I find myself busy and when I actually have time to comment on the state of the AFC West I lack the desire to do so. With that said, I'll share my thoughts on tomorrow's games.

Chargers @ Raiders: The Raiders have played the Chargers tough recently, but I seriously doubt that team, even coming off a bye and with a new coach, is going to be able to overcome this Chargers team. A lot of people are surprised by the Chargers fast start. I for one am not. This is a team I had for 11-5 this year, and after seeing how well they've played I can't help but wonder if I've sold them short. They roll in Oakland this week. Chargers 34, Raiders 17.

Broncos @ Jets: The Broncos run game showed signs of life late in the game last week. Whether that was fatigue on the part of the Cardinals or the change of pace from Ball to Hillman, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the latter, and this would be a good week to find out. The Jets run defense is pretty stout, but their pass defense is lacking. Manning has a legitimate shot to set that career TD record this week. Offensively the Jets are a dumpster fire. The Broncos defense appeared to have the pieces falling into place last week, with my only complaints being the lack of turnovers and a gaffe of an 81 yard TD play to a QB who made his first completion of his career on that throw. Eh, it happens, I guess. Broncos in this one big.
Broncos 37, Jets 7.

The Chiefs are on a bye. At 2-3 with close losses against the Broncos and 49ers (both on the road) this team can still go either way on the season.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:52 PM

3,147 posts, read 3,502,268 times
Quote:
It's been harder to keep up with this thread this year. I find myself busy and when I actually have time to comment on the state of the AFC West I lack the desire to do so. With that said, I'll share my thoughts on tomorrow's games.

Chargers @ Raiders: The Raiders have played the Chargers tough recently, but I seriously doubt that team, even coming off a bye and with a new coach, is going to be able to overcome this Chargers team. A lot of people are surprised by the Chargers fast start. I for one am not. This is a team I had for 11-5 this year, and after seeing how well they've played I can't help but wonder if I've sold them short. They roll in Oakland this week. Chargers 34, Raiders 17.

Broncos @ Jets: The Broncos run game showed signs of life late in the game last week. Whether that was fatigue on the part of the Cardinals or the change of pace from Ball to Hillman, we'll have to wait and see. Hopefully the latter, and this would be a good week to find out. The Jets run defense is pretty stout, but their pass defense is lacking. Manning has a legitimate shot to set that career TD record this week. Offensively the Jets are a dumpster fire. The Broncos defense appeared to have the pieces falling into place last week, with my only complaints being the lack of turnovers and a gaffe of an 81 yard TD play to a QB who made his first completion of his career on that throw. Eh, it happens, I guess. Broncos in this one big.
Broncos 37, Jets 7.

The Chiefs are on a bye. At 2-3 with close losses against the Broncos and 49ers (both on the road) this team can still go either way on the season.

Hey, if the Jets can stop the run game, they can force Peyton Manning to throw the ball...lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football