Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2013, 07:29 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times

Advertisements

2 out of the 3 still undefeated teams are in the AFC West. Quite a change from recent years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2013, 04:43 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
2 out of the 3 still undefeated teams are in the AFC West. Quite a change from recent years.
It's kind of exciting, really. The last time the Chiefs started 5-0 was 2003, a year they finished 13-3. The Broncos started 5-0 in 2009 but bottomed out and finished 8-8. But I think you have to dig pretty deep to find a year where two AFC West teams started 5-0. The 2003 Broncos started 4-0 but lost their fifth game to the Chiefs. That team finished 10-6.

Meanwhile I was a little surprised to see the Chargers lost to the Raiders. After their comeback against the Cowboys I thought this Chargers team was going to hang around a bit, and maybe they still will. But they are not playing consistent football right now, so it is hard to imagine them being in the picture toward the end of the season at playoff time.

After five, the AFC West looks like this:

Broncos: 5-0

Chiefs: 5-0

Raiders: 2-3

Chargers: 2-3

Old 10-07-2013, 05:38 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
It's kind of exciting, really. The last time the Chiefs started 5-0 was 2003, a year they finished 13-3. The Broncos started 5-0 in 2009 but bottomed out and finished 8-8. But I think you have to dig pretty deep to find a year where two AFC West teams started 5-0. The 2003 Broncos started 4-0 but lost their fifth game to the Chiefs. That team finished 10-6.

Meanwhile I was a little surprised to see the Chargers lost to the Raiders. After their comeback against the Cowboys I thought this Chargers team was going to hang around a bit, and maybe they still will. But they are not playing consistent football right now, so it is hard to imagine them being in the picture toward the end of the season at playoff time.

After five, the AFC West looks like this:

Broncos: 5-0

Chiefs: 5-0

Raiders: 2-3

Chargers: 2-3
Even though I'm not a fan of either undefeated team, (or any team in the AFC west) the broncos record pace, and the feel good story w Andy reid definitely creates some positive buzz IMO...

Old 10-08-2013, 07:46 PM

Here are my predictions for the AFC West this week:

Raiders @ Chiefs: Chiefs. The Raiders benefited from several Chargers miscues in Sunday's Thursday Night Football (special edition). They did force a few, too, but the Chargers had a big part in defeating themselves in that one. The Chiefs are not going to beat themselves. The home crowd is going to be into this one. They hate the Raiders and they are excited about the Chiefs best start since 2003. The Chiefs defense is not going to give a lot of ground, but expect the Raiders to get after Alex Smith with their pass rush. Still, Smith has the mobility to evade the rush and extend the play. He and the Chiefs can do a lot of damage by dumping off to Charles. The Raiders may be without McFadden again, and Pryor will likely struggle to move the ball consistently. I don't think the Chiefs run away with this one. The Raiders may add a late score to dress it up, but I anticipate the Chiefs will be in control from start to finish. Chiefs 31, Raiders 24.

Broncos vs Jaguars: Broncos. I almost don't even want to bother here. I am usually very open to the possibility that even a weak opponent can beat the Broncos any given Sunday. I just don't see how the Jaguars are going to be able to pull of this upset. I see Moreno grinding out his first 100 yard game with his standard 15-20 carries. I also see Hillman breaking one late in the game and posting a 100 yard game as well. Manning...well, he'll do what he does. The situation will likely dictate pulling him and maybe a few other starters sometime in the third quarter. This is what they did against the Eagles. Defensively, the Jaguars just lost one of their tackles to an injury just after trading the other. This should be a golden opportunity for the defense to regain some confidence and credibility following that performance against the Cowboys. The Jags bring backup QB Chad Henne into this one. Usually starting the backup is bad news. In the Jaguars case, it's their best bet. Broncos mount a big lead early then cruise. Broncos 41, Jaguars 14.

Chargers vs Colts: Colts. The Colts under Manning did not fare well against the Chargers. But that was Norv Turner's Chargers and this is Andrew Luck's Colts. Luck does not post overly impressive numbers. He is averaging just over 220 passing yards per game, average in today's pass happy league. But when he rushes he averages over 6 yards per carry. More importantly, he extends drives by picking first downs and has added 2 rushing TDs this year. The Colts may not be overly flashy on offense, but they get it done. Defensively they are much improved over last season. Defensively the match up well with the Chargers. Their run defense ranks 30th, but against the Chargers they may be able to limit the damage. The bigger challenge will be to keep Phil Rivers from slinging the ball around for 350 yards or more. The Colts have a solid pass defense, but the Chargers are going to get after it on the strength of Rivers' arm. Chargers make it a game, but the Colts slip by. Colts 34, Chargers 31.

Old 10-08-2013, 09:09 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,678,502 times
Crazy year. The Broncos get off to a historically hot start, breaking or tying dozens of records.
But after six weeks they are 6-0 tied for the division with Chiefs who were 2-14 last year. WTF?

Old 10-08-2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddyline View Post
Crazy year. The Broncos get off to a historically hot start, breaking or tying dozens of records.
But after six weeks they are 6-0 tied for the division with Chiefs who were 2-14 last year. WTF?
Well this assumes both teams win next week. I expect they will. I think it is one of the things I love most about the NFL. There is always a worst to first story. This year the Chiefs are looking really good. Will they beat the Broncos for the AFC West title? I don't think too many people have ruled out that possibility. I hope they are both 9-0 going into their first game with each other.

Old 10-12-2013, 11:27 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,823,265 times
I too hope they are both 9-0 when they play each other. Now THAT will be the game of the week! Looking at both of their schedules, they likely will be 9-0.

Old 10-13-2013, 06:51 PM

Chiefs win and Broncos win, so they are both 6-0. The Raiders fall to 2-4 with their loss to the Chiefs, and the Chargers do not play until tomorrow night.

The Broncos and Chiefs are the only remaining undefeated teams. Nobody saw that coming in the early goings this season. Also, the Broncos defense has not been impressive at all, but they still managed to do enough help get the team to 6-0. Now they get Von Miller back from suspension, and not a moment too soon with Andrew Luck and the Colts next on the schedule.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:33 AM

12,566 posts, read 10,610,184 times
Prior to the season a lot of the pundits were calling the AFC West the weakest in the NFL. After week 6 the West is 17-7 with two undefeated teams. Chargers were two plays away from being 5-1. On top of it the AFC West has dominated the NFC East.

Nice win by the Chargers last night. I can't figure out who they are.

Old 10-15-2013, 10:44 AM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,306 posts, read 8,652,146 times
My team ( the Raiders) won't win it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football