Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 12:04 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,288,860 times

Advertisements

It'll be 15 years before the league considers expansion, unless Goodhell implodes it first.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,081,340 times
Well, Los Angeles has a large market share and no team. While I prefer to see the Rams moved back there and the pesky red birds placed back in St Louey, we all know that is never going to happen.

SO I propose the expansion team Los Angeles Wolves
After all, Hollywood is full of wolves
OR we could have Los Angeles Oscars.

Since The moutain region only has two teams really, the aforementioned pesky red birds (my ons fave team) and the Broncos (mentioned in another thread about hideous uniforms) I think either Salt Lake City or Portland could have a team. While I do not think of Portland as a football town, and not sure if Salt Lake City could support one being that the games would be played on Sundays, We need to look to San Antonio .... the Diablos of course OR Place a team in Oklahoma cCity and call them the tornados (NO HE DID NOT SAY THAT!!)

Old 05-27-2013, 02:52 PM
YAZ

7,706 posts, read 14,080,405 times
Why not? Miami U. has the Hurricanes.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:27 AM

45,541 posts, read 27,157,256 times
More teams means about 55 players (per team), who are not good enough at this point in time to be on a roster, would be added to the league.

In other words, the talent pool would be watered down more than it is now.

Old 05-29-2013, 06:08 PM

278 posts, read 307,471 times
I wouldn't mind seeing some expansion in the NFL. They've been at 32 teams for a while now. Is this the longest we've went without expansion. How long was the league at 28 teams?
I would love to see football back in L.A., and maybe a team in Las Vegas.

Old 05-29-2013, 07:24 PM

18,210 posts, read 25,843,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDragon View Post
I wouldn't mind seeing some expansion in the NFL. They've been at 32 teams for a while now. Is this the longest we've went without expansion. How long was the league at 28 teams?
Just off the top of my head, I'm going to guess 25 years. As the AFL and the NFL through the merger became one league in 1970, the Carolina Panthers and the Jacksonville Jaguars came into the league in 1995, making it a 30 team league.

Old 06-01-2013, 08:58 PM

2,061 posts, read 3,735,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Scheduling.
Thats why i don't think the nfl will change.
To not drastically alter the perfect scheduling we have now we would have to either gain a bunch of teams or lose a bunch.
I understand and agree with that point, but I think it's a little idealistic to think things aren't going to change and expand. Why do I say? Because the NFL (like any and every business) is not satisfied with current profit. They MUST expand. I can PROMISE you that they are as we speak, thinking of ways to make he league larger, make the season long (in order to earn more money) without causing it to implode... That's just a fact of all business.

So, with that being said, there's no chance with things being so profitable right now that the league will reduce it's number of teams. They are looking of ways to get a team into more and more markets...

They look at cities like San Antonio, Birmingham, Norfolk, Los Angeles, Portland, Oklahoma City, Omaha, Louisville, Orlando, Las Vegas, Memphis, etc... with hungry, greedy eyes, just thinking of ways to get a team in there without it being a bad decision to do so...

As far as the perfect scheduling... There's gotta be another way to create a perfect scheduling system with more teams. HAS to be. Math... Just gotta figure it out.

Old 06-02-2013, 07:28 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susancruzs View Post
Interesting but Packers aren't going to play games back in Milwaukee! Been there, done that!
Yep. County Stadium served the Packers just fine in an earlier era when NFL attendance was not so great and the idea of playing in a baseball park worked (at the time the Pack was playing in County Stadium, just down the road, the Bears were playing at Wrigley Field) worked quite well. In fact, most NFL teams played in multi-purpose stadiums.

Miller Park offers nothing for the Packers. It's a ball park and its capacity makes no sense for pro-foootball. The only possible way to serve the Miwaukee market is a stretch, to say the least: have the Pack play a few games at Camp Randall. But what would Milw fans gain by a slightly shorter trip to Madison than to Green Bay (and besides, I doubt the Big Ten would even allow that).

Last edited by edsg25; 06-02-2013 at 07:48 AM..

Old 06-02-2013, 07:43 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,825,324 times
Numbers and their divisibility are key to any pro sports expansion. 32 is a great number, divisible by 2 which give you 16 and 2 conferences. 16 is divisbile by 4 which gives each conference 4 divisions with 4 teams each.

the next number that works is 36. Probably in the form of 2 conferences, each with 3 divisions of 6 teams each.

So what could the NFL expansion look like?

Broadcast revenue, of course, is essential to the NFL. The two main players here are Fox (NFC) and CBS (AFC). Any expansion must keep the two networks in mind and keep equity between them.

Currently Fox/NFC and CBS/AFC share three large markets. If the NFL is to go to 36 teams, it would mean 4 new franchises. Three of those franchises could be created to keep that Fox/NFC and CBS/AFC equity in place. In doing so, the two networks would each have teams in 5 huge markets:

NY (Giants, Jets)
Bay Area (49ers, Raiders)
B/W (Redskins, Ravens)
LA (new NFC team, new AFC team)
Chgo (Bears, new AFC team)

LA, IMHO, could support two franchises. I discount the Rams and Raiders abandoning ship the same year. Both teams were owned by volitile owners. The Rams would have held the LA market better if they had stayed in the Colliseum. Moving out way down to Anaheim left a vacuum in the city that the Raiders filled. But LA never did get into what was perceived as Oakland's team(which, of course, it once again became). Crazy lady Frontioni actually thought giving up LA for an indoor tomb in St. Louis was a good idea.

Chicago? Football and sports crazy Chicago could easily support an AFC team. When the Cardinals left the city in 1960, one of the main reasons was the NFL-AFL battle for new markets. The NFL claimed the St. Louis market for itself. Of course, the NFL would have had trouble keeping two franchises in Chicago at the time. CBS was the league's broadcaster and CBS couldn't have covered both the Bears and the Cards. Bear fans might actually be happy to see an AFC franchise in town. The Bears in a huge market that loves them have to do little to fill Soldier Field. And often that's exactly what da Bears do. That might change if they had to face crosstown competition. Look at MLB....having both the Cubs and Sox in town helps interest in baseball far more than one team would.

That leaves one franchise left to distribute. I'd go against CW which says gambling and sports don't mix well in the same metro area and give that remaining NFC franchise to the desert in the form of the Las Vegas Aces. Vegas is clearly big enough to have its first pro franchise.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:38 PM

3,718 posts, read 5,694,340 times
Out of the big four, I think NFL is the only league that could warrant a moderate to heavy expansion.

And if Chicago got another NFL team, what name would you choose? One that has something to do with Chicago and/or Illinois.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football