Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 08:36 AM

9,375 posts, read 20,798,823 times

Advertisements

How about Danny White in the 1970s, back up to Staubach, and was also punter while QB.

Terry Hanratty was the starter in Pittsburgh, with Joe Gilliam, as Terry Bradshaw loomed in the background. I believe (and DOUBLEH can certainly chime in here) that the year after the Immaculate Reception game, that Bradshaw was back on the bench, and Hanratty was actually the starting QB again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 09:31 AM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
How about Danny White in the 1970s, back up to Staubach, and was also punter while QB.

Terry Hanratty was the starter in Pittsburgh, with Joe Gilliam, as Terry Bradshaw loomed in the background. I believe (and DOUBLEH can certainly chime in here) that the year after the Immaculate Reception game, that Bradshaw was back on the bench, and Hanratty was actually the starting QB again.
He was. If memory serves he actually DID start the 1973 season but Hanratty replaced him after a month or so, will look that up a little later. There was also one game when "Jefferson Street" Joe Gillam started a game due to an injury to Hanratty. Bradshaw did get his job back later in the season. Needless to say he had a pretty strained working relationship with Chuck Noll in his first few years with the club. Surprisingly the Steelers finished 11-3 but didn't win the division. Speaking of "Jefferson Street" Joe Gillam, I'll never forget the performance he gave in week one of the 1974 season at Mile High Stadium. The game ended in a 35-35 tie, the first game in NFL history where an overtime regular season game ended in a tie.

Add>>>The Steelers finished 10-4 as did the Cincinnati Bengals but the Bengals had the tie breaker regarding the playoff system. The Steelers went in as a wildcard.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 06-13-2013 at 09:41 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 06-12-2013, 09:19 PM

8,271 posts, read 8,650,554 times
Zeke Bratkowski.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:53 PM

560 posts, read 581,473 times
Jim Plunkett was a back up for two years with the Raiders during 1978 and 1979, but when then starting QB Dan Pastorini fractured his leg in 1980, Plunkett came off the bench to lead the team to the playoffs as a wildcard and a Super Bowl win(vs Eagles). He was named the Super Bowl MVP. Then in 1983, in a back up role once again, when then starter Marc Wilson went down with an injury led the Raiders to another Super Bowl win (vs Redskins).

Old 06-13-2013, 06:26 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,854,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyCity View Post
Jim Plunkett was a back up for two years with the Raiders during 1978 and 1979, but when then starting QB Dan Pastorini fractured his leg in 1980, Plunkett came off the bench to lead the team to the playoffs as a wildcard and a Super Bowl win(vs Eagles). He was named the Super Bowl MVP. Then in 1983, in a back up role once again, when then starter Marc Wilson went down with an injury led the Raiders to another Super Bowl win (vs Redskins).
Good post Rocky!

When Plunkett was claimed by the Raiders most people thought his NFL career was done. He didn't have a lot of mobility to start with. And Chuck Fairbanks did not do him many favors regarding the offensive scheme he put in. The 49ers experiment was a failure and after that Jim was beat up physically and mentally.

But I saw Plunkett in his second year with the Pats. Week 14 in '72 season Broncos beat Pats 41-21. The only O-lineman the Pats had that had great ability was John Hannah. But I thought at some point Plunkett would tear up the league, and that didn't happen. But his last few years he was vindicated, and won 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders. Considering his childhood background and what he endured later in the NFL I have a ton of respect for him!

Old 06-15-2013, 08:20 AM

560 posts, read 581,473 times
[quote=DOUBLE H;30012113]Good post Rocky!

When Plunkett was claimed by the Raiders most people thought his NFL career was done. He didn't have a lot of mobility to start with. And Chuck Fairbanks did not do him many favors regarding the offensive scheme he put in. The 49ers experiment was a failure and after that Jim was beat up physically and mentally.

But I saw Plunkett in his second year with the Pats. Week 14 in '72 season Broncos beat Pats 41-21. The only O-lineman the Pats had that had great ability was John Hannah. But I thought at some point Plunkett would tear up the league, and that didn't happen. But his last few years he was vindicated, and won 2 Super Bowls with the Raiders. Considering his childhood background and what he endured later in the NFL I have a ton of respect for him![/quote]

Great story, I recall reading an article some years ago about how his mother was blind and how he had to help support his family by working as a youth. He managed to get into Stanford, winning the heisman there, earning rookie of the year in the NFL, then struggling in the NFL before winning those two super bowls. Quite a journey.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:22 PM

812 posts, read 736,553 times
I despise the Steelers, but I am a huge Charlie Batch fan....fun story, I actually had a brief conversation with him once in the comments of his Facebook page, seems like a really regular guy, and he does tons of charity work too! Plus the fact that he has always done well when called upon to step in.

Looks like his career with the Steelers might be over, witht hem drafting a QB in the 4th...but people have said this kind of thing before and he has always ended up on the roster. Leftwich always ends up getting hurt within 5 minutes of going into a game and Charlie would step in and save the day, good player, good man.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:49 PM

270 posts, read 260,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fossil Fools View Post
Thomas Roland Matte, your 2nd cousin-in law, who also hates Green Bay more than any city that has a Pro Football team.
And is the voice of the Ravens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football