U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Hampton Roads, VA
673 posts, read 2,922,498 times
Reputation: 325

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb919 View Post
Yeah, going zone was not the way to go, although there wasn't much Sanders could do- Jarrett Bush doesn't even belong on an NFL roster, much less be trusted going man-up on the Cowboys' WRs.

There was a LOT of good that came out of last night's game. One is that I think McCarthy will resist the temptation to be so cute next time around in the big game. Rodgers showed us that our future is indeed very bright. Grant is such a beast- what a find! Jennings played well, as did Jones. The Pack could have easily wilted and lost the game by 4 touchdowns, but they showed tons of heart and guts. While I was impressed with the Cowboys, I didn't come away from that game feeling that they can't be beaten. The Pack is a team to be reckoned with...

Totally agree with everything you said. As soon as I saw Brett leave the game I was like "oh great here we go its going to be a blowout" but it WASNT. The Packers showed they cant easily be beat. Cowboys did have a good team but I dont think they will make it to the Super Bowl. If for some reason they do, cant wait to watch them get crushed by the Patriots! LOL (even though I am totally not a Pats fan either).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2007, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,680 posts, read 27,176,048 times
Reputation: 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wi_Girl View Post
Totally agree with everything you said. As soon as I saw Brett leave the game I was like "oh great here we go its going to be a blowout" but it WASNT. The Packers showed they cant easily be beat. Cowboys did have a good team but I dont think they will make it to the Super Bowl. If for some reason they do, cant wait to watch them get crushed by the Patriots! LOL (even though I am totally not a Pats fan either).
The only team in the NFC that can beat the Cowboys are the Packers. And it took a complacent Cowboy team after going up 27-10 to even make the game respectable. It was indeed heading to a blowout if the Cowboys continued to execute on offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 01:29 PM
 
Location: Tucson, AZ
1,697 posts, read 3,130,958 times
Reputation: 1535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
However, Dallas left some points on the board. The TO dropped INT and the Fasano dropped td pass. Going for it on 4th and 1 and using Julius Jones as our short yardage back when it should have been Marion. Green Bay could not stop the Dallas offense all night. When it was 27-10, Romo missed Witten on 2nd and 3rd down. If caught, the drive is extended, time is still running, Dallas still has a chance to get to 34 points or 30 points at the least before halftime. We did not execute efficiently in the 3rd quarter. But the 1st, 2nd, and 4th, we did.

Dallas offense stop executing and went complacent at the end of the 1st half. While GB did play inspired football w/o Farve and made a great comeback, I think Dallas helped them with being undisciplined, lack of execution, and not gameplanning for a scrambling QB. Make no mistake, the Packers success was on the scrambling ability of Rogers and Dallas did not gameplan for that. Rodgers extended drives due to his feet. Your opening drive I believe when you came within three was extended because Rodgers scambled for a first down. Heck, I think he extended your drive when GB was down 27-10 before Jennings (who's a heck of a receiver) got that long play. Rodgers coming in was actually a blessing in disguise because I think if Farve stayed in the game, Dallas blows Green Bay out because they had a perfect gameplan against Farve and it was working. He had a qb rating of 8 when he went out.

BTW, that pass interference was the correct call. The head official said it was the correct call. Even if there wasn't a PI called, the 5 yard contact rule should have been enforced because he hooked him while not looking back at the ball. Either way, there should have been a 1st down for Dallas. You have to make a play on the ball, he was clearly not doing that.
You're right- the Packers defense didn't stop Dallas all night, really. I think part of it was bad matchups, and the other part of it was game-planning around the weaknesses of Jarrett Bush instead of just sticking to what they normally do. I definitely want to revisit this in January with a healthy defense and see what goes.

Dallas I don't think had the "perfect" game plan for Favre. Favre was insisting on going deep almost every pass. There were guys running wide open 15-20 yards downfield and Favre was just focused in on the long ball. I think that's where McCarthy has to re-examine his original plan. One- the constant deep passes aren't what this team does. Two- Favre still gets overexcited at the start of games, just like he did as a kid- and the game plan should be scripted accordingly. When Rodgers came in, McCarthy went back to what the offense normally does, and the team started moving again.

My problem with the PI call is that not only was it very ticky-tacky, but had the official thrown the flag AS SOON as he saw the contact, I'd have a little easier time living with it, even though I wouldn't have agreed with it. I also didn't like that the flag came from the official who was 20 yards away from the play, not the guy who was right there. It almost looked like Austin and that official had all the time in the world to talk the ref into throwing that flag. However, it's far from why the Packers lost. I just would have liked to have seen Dallas earn that TD, which they probably would have anyway, and I don't think they had to earn it.

I think this game is a huge beneficial experience for the Packers. Most young teams don't get the chance to play such big games with such playoff-like atmospheres in the regular season (heck- games like this almost NEVER happen this early). Most of the time, the first game this big is in the playoffs, and by the time the lesson-learning is done, so is the season. You have to wait until next year to apply what you learned (just like the Cowboys after losing in Seattle last year). The Packers get to apply those lessons THIS year, and if they learned well, they will not only get back to Dallas, but will be a much stronger and worthier opponent for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 02:18 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,454,968 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
However, Dallas left some points on the board. The TO dropped INT and the Fasano dropped td pass. Going for it on 4th and 1 and using Julius Jones as our short yardage back when it should have been Marion. Green Bay could not stop the Dallas offense all night. When it was 27-10, Romo missed Witten on 2nd and 3rd down. If caught, the drive is extended, time is still running, Dallas still has a chance to get to 34 points or 30 points at the least before halftime. We did not execute efficiently in the 3rd quarter. But the 1st, 2nd, and 4th, we did.

Dallas offense stop executing and went complacent at the end of the 1st half. While GB did play inspired football w/o Farve and made a great comeback, I think Dallas helped them with being undisciplined, lack of execution, and not gameplanning for a scrambling QB. Make no mistake, the Packers success was on the scrambling ability of Rogers and Dallas did not gameplan for that. Rodgers extended drives due to his feet. Your opening drive I believe when you came within three was extended because Rodgers scambled for a first down. Heck, I think he extended your drive when GB was down 27-10 before Jennings (who's a heck of a receiver) got that long play. Rodgers coming in was actually a blessing in disguise because I think if Farve stayed in the game, Dallas blows Green Bay out because they had a perfect gameplan against Farve and it was working. He had a qb rating of 8 when he went out.

BTW, that pass interference was the correct call. The head official said it was the correct call. Even if there wasn't a PI called, the 5 yard contact rule should have been enforced because he hooked him while not looking back at the ball. Either way, there should have been a 1st down for Dallas. You have to make a play on the ball, he was clearly not doing that.
While Dallas certainly had opportunities to win by more, they missed them. TO dropping the touchdown is actually,,, common TO football. He has dropped no less than 25 passes that were ridiculously perfect since coming to Dallas last year. Still a great player, but drops some easy catches. I would speculate in saying he dropped the TD because he was too busy thinking about how to celebrate before he caught it.

As far as some of the other pass play missed opportunities by Dallas, once again I feel they would not have had them, or many other chances if it weren't for arguably the worst db in the NFL being on the field in Jarrett Bush. The Packers were not running their normal game plan because of him. Bring Woodson back, and KGB so that Kampman couldn't be doubled and you have Romo throwing with less time to a tougher secondary.

The Packers also came in with a bunch of ignorant wild offensive play calling that they have not attempted this year. It totally backfired on them which is what I believe caused the 27-10 score. After 1 or 2 plays of throwing deep, the Packers should have realized the Dallas D-Line was getting through way to fast for Favre to sit and throw deep. Both INT's came on plays where he was hit. If they go back to short post and slant routes as they did when Rodgers came in, they will not get embarrassed like they did the first 20 minutes. After the first 20 minutes, the Packers outscored Dallas the rest of the game. And while the scrambling of Rodgers caught everybody off guard, I didn't see the Packers run the ball nearly enough, nor did I see enough screen passes. Ryan Grant was VERY under utilized. The Packers also did a good job of holding Dallas outside of the first 20 minutes. I would expect Dallas to score a decent amount, so what happened the rest of the game looked more normal of what I would have expected.


The pass interference was bogus. You either throw the flag when you see it and discuss whether the flag should be picked up, or you don't throw it. 15 second pauses before a flag is thrown is outrageous. And if the refs are going to call ticky tack fouls, they need to be equal and the following series on 3rd down they turned their heads to a much more obvious pass interference. I don't mind the refs calling strict or loose, as long as they are equal on both sides of the ball. Not to mention Al Harris mugged TO with both feet in bounds, yet they didn't give him the turnover, they gave TO the catch, and they called delay of game. 3 bad calls in one. Lets not forget the Packers had to burn a challenge overturning a TO catch that he was CLEARLY bobbling all the way out of bounds, yet the ref standing right there staring at it gave him the catch.

Overall, the Packers have themselves to blame for the loss because had they came in with a more normal game plan instead of trying to play cute, the bad calls would have had much less of an effect.

I agree that the Cowboys are very good. I'm just saying after watching the game I did not see them as a superior team to the Packers, just the better team that night. A healthy Packers team in the playoffs without the ignorant changes on offensive strategy IMO is a team that is very capable of winning regardless of if its Dallas or Green Bay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 03:45 PM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,680 posts, read 27,176,048 times
Reputation: 9612
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnbound2day View Post
While Dallas certainly had opportunities to win by more, they missed them. TO dropping the touchdown is actually,,, common TO football. He has dropped no less than 25 passes that were ridiculously perfect since coming to Dallas last year. Still a great player, but drops some easy catches. I would speculate in saying he dropped the TD because he was too busy thinking about how to celebrate before he caught it.
Well, TO has rarely dropped passes this season anyway. TO is having a mvp type of season this year receiving the ball. His numbers prove it. The only receiver that is performing better than this year is Randy Moss. Yes, he had drops last year and that was a huge problem. Has not been a problem this year.

Quote:
As far as some of the other pass play missed opportunities by Dallas, once again I feel they would not have had them, or many other chances if it weren't for arguably the worst db in the NFL being on the field in Jarrett Bush. The Packers were not running their normal game plan because of him. Bring Woodson back, and KGB so that Kampman couldn't be doubled and you have Romo throwing with less time to a tougher secondary.
Well Bush was not on Witten on either play. I think it was Bigby and Witten was wide open or man to man coverage. Romo missed them high and we had to punt. The Cowboys punted for the first time in the game with those two missed passes. If those two were on the same page, Dallas is still driving and more clock is running and you wouldn't even have a chance to pull within 10 before halftime. Dallas probably would have extended from 17-24 or 17-20 if that pass is connected.


Quote:
The Packers also came in with a bunch of ignorant wild offensive play calling that they have not attempted this year. It totally backfired on them which is what I believe caused the 27-10 score. After 1 or 2 plays of throwing deep, the Packers should have realized the Dallas D-Line was getting through way to fast for Favre to sit and throw deep. Both INT's came on plays where he was hit. If they go bacunder utilized. The Packers also did a good job of holding Dallas outside of the first 20 minutes. I would expect Dallas to score a decent amount, so what happened the rest of the game looked more normal of what I would have expected. k to short post and slant routes as they did when Rodgers came in, they will not get embarrassed like they did the first 20 minutes. After the first 20 minutes, the Packers outscored Dallas the rest of the game. And while the scrambling of Rodgers caught everybody off guard, I didn't see the Packers run the ball nearly enough, nor did I see enough screen passes. Ryan Grant was VERY underutilized.The Packers also did a good job of holding Dallas outside of the first 20 minutes. I would expect Dallas to score a decent amount, so what happened the rest of the game looked more normal of what I would have expected.
Maybe that is what you expect from a Packer's point of view, but not the Cowboys from mine. Dallas dropped an easy td pass and went for it on 4th and 1 without our short yardage running back. That may have been 10 points left off the board right there. If we convert it, Dallas wins 47-27 instead of 37-27. The 3rd quarter, Dallas did not play well. But the 4th quarter, Dallas started to take control of the game again.


Quote:
The pass interference was bogus. You either throw the flag when you see it and discuss whether the flag should be picked up, or you don't throw it. 15 second pauses before a flag is thrown is outrageous. And if the refs are going to call ticky tack fouls, they need to be equal and the following series on 3rd down they turned their heads to a much more obvious pass interference. I don't mind the refs calling strict or loose, as long as they are equal on both sides of the ball. Not to mention Al Harris mugged TO with both feet in bounds, yet they didn't give him the turnover, they gave TO the catch, and they called delay of game. 3 bad calls in one. Lets not forget the Packers had to burn a challenge overturning a TO catch that he was CLEARLY bobbling all the way out of bounds, yet the ref standing right there staring at it gave him the catch.
Again, no matter how ticky tack it was, you have to make a play for the ball, you cannot impede the receiver's progress on catching the ball, and you have to look back at the ball. He did none of the above. It may have been ticky tack, but it was the correct call. There should be a flag on that play anyway. If it wasn't pass interference, it should have been the 5 yard contact rule.

Also, let's not talk about the teams getting away with calls. Demarcus Ware was called for an offsides on your drive to make it 27-17 but he was never offsides. Constant holding by the Packers offensive line not being called by the officials. Bad calls go both ways and does in every game.



Quote:
I agree that the Cowboys are very good. I'm just saying after watching the game I did not see them as a superior team to the Packers, just the better team that night. A healthy Packers team in the playoffs without the ignorant changes on offensive strategy IMO is a team that is very capable of winning regardless of if its Dallas or Green Bay.
I can agree with this. A healthy Packer team would have fared better. But Dallas also is not healthy themselves. So both teams were missing players. And on the Packers last drive before half, T-New and Burnett went out due to injuries before coming back at halftime. What I saw from Dallas was a team that did whatever it wanted to do and could have blown the doors off if they did not become complacent on defense and continued to execute on offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2007, 07:36 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,454,968 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Well Bush was not on Witten on either play.
Wasn't the point as I wasn't referring to those 2 plays specifically, but rather the overall pass defense. Bush being in and Woodson being out changed things and the Packers ran their zones different than normal to try and make up for Bush. Witten is a good receiver and gets open a good bit. I was pointing out that the overall passing game of Dallas would look different if Woodson was in, and also if KGB was on the line so Romo would have actually felt pressure and been hit more than once or twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
What I saw from Dallas was a team that did whatever it wanted to do and could have blown the doors off if they did not become complacent on defense and continued to execute on offense.
And I saw a Packer team that played a totally different strategy than it had been that once they started back playing their normal offense marched quiet well to score 2 td's. And without the ignorant repetitive deep pass calls in the first quarter, Dallas without 2 interceptions that were converted. The Packers could have won the game by 10+ if you change all that.

Would've, could've, should've. But the fact is that the Packers were still very much in the game until late in the fourth quarter after an embarassingly poor 1st quarter. Saying that if the Cowboys would have done all these other things different it would have been a blowout is like saying if I had a space ship I'd fly into outer space. Didn't happen and the fact is it was a very good and close game. Which is why even though I watched them lose, I felt pretty darn good about their chances to beat Dallas in the playoffs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:40 AM
 
Location: Washington D.C. By way of Texas
18,680 posts, read 27,176,048 times
Reputation: 9612
But those were the miss opportunities I was talking about. Only those two plays. Dallas had to punt for the first time in the game and the offense walked off the field surprised that they had to. That was because Romo missed Witten on two consecutive passes. Any other passes regarding Bush I am not talking about. I was only talking about that possession only.

Quote:
And I saw a Packer team that played a totally different strategy than it had been that once they started back playing their normal offense marched quiet well to score 2 td's. And without the ignorant repetitive deep pass calls in the first quarter, Dallas without 2 interceptions that were converted. The Packers could have won the game by 10+ if you change all that.
The first INT was a deep ball. The 2nd INT was not a deep ball. It was actually the type of offense you run. Dink and dunk your way down the field. However, for the first time all year, Brett Farve faced an aggressive pass rush from every angle you could imagine and it rattled him. Give the dline credit. Turnovers are part of the game as well as a lack of execution. I give the Pack credit for battling back and pulling within 3 with a chance to win the game. But I guess we're looking at the game with our colored glasses on. But the way the game went, Dallas had the better chance of winning by 10+ points than GB did.

I can see your point though. You feel great about your chances again playing Dallas. I feel good about the Cowboys chances to beat the Packers again in the playoffs this time handily if they execute for 60 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:58 AM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,454,968 times
Reputation: 2996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
But those were the miss opportunities I was talking about. Only those two plays. Dallas had to punt for the first time in the game and the offense walked off the field surprised that they had to. That was because Romo missed Witten on two consecutive passes. Any other passes regarding Bush I am not talking about. I was only talking about that possession only.
Agreed. But almost every game ever played involves teams failing to pull of plays that looked easy. Sometimes they come at times that don't matter, sometimes they come at times that really hurt.

Quote:
The first INT was a deep ball. The 2nd INT was not a deep ball. It was actually the type of offense you run. Dink and dunk your way down the field. However, for the first time all year, Brett Farve faced an aggressive pass rush from every angle you could imagine and it rattled him. Give the dline credit. Turnovers are part of the game as well as a lack of execution. I give the Pack credit for battling back and pulling within 3 with a chance to win the game. But I guess we're looking at the game with our colored glasses on. But the way the game went, Dallas had the better chance of winning by 10+ points than GB did.
I credited Dallas for having a much better D-Line than I expected, and think their pass rush is one of the best. But After watching every GB game this year, I have not seen them come out going for the home run ball so consistently. They typically run great post and slant routes where the ball is released quickly and once they started doing that, Rodgers had an easy time finding open receivers and then let them do what they had done best in the NFL all year: get yards after the catch. I will give Dallas credit for giving tighter coverage than I would have expected.

Quote:
I can see your point though. You feel great about your chances again playing Dallas. I feel good about the Cowboys chances to beat the Packers again in the playoffs this time handily if they execute for 60 minutes.
I certainly think the Cowboys are capable of beating the Packers again, but should they meet in the playoffs, I will watch it with the same mindset as this game. Both teams are good enough to beat the other and it comes down to who executes the best. Some people (Packers fans included) seemed to have thought this game spelled doom for GB as being proof they aren't good enough to win. I saw it as them being outplayed, but not overpowered should they play again and not have 2 of their best 4 defensive guys hurt. GB has a true weakness in that they have no bench for db. If Harris or Woodson go out, the other team will have a MUCH easier time picking them apart, whereas when they are both on the field, its a night and day difference.

I think they will meet again in the playoffs and I expect it to be a closer game than this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2007, 08:23 PM
 
6,760 posts, read 10,454,968 times
Reputation: 2996
Default Wow, who was that playing the Eagles today?

Didn't look like the Cowboys at all. Their offense looked about as potent as Pee Wee Herman!!!

I know the Eagles have a lot of talent and have played a lot of close games, but I totally wouldn't have expected them to hold Dallas out of the end zone the whole game.

Now I just need the Cowboys to go down once more and the Packers to win out against Chicago and Detroit and the Packers would have home field. Seemed like it would be impossible, but after watching how bad Dallas played today, it seems entirely possible.

My brother must be furious!!! Oh well, I have to give him a hard time next weekend when I'm visiting him for the holidays. He hates the Eagles so much I think he would prefer to go 2-14 with both wins being over Philly than to win the Superbowl!!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2007, 06:45 AM
 
Location: makin' bacon
3,340 posts, read 2,599,524 times
Reputation: 1483
Romo's note to self, do not invite high profile girlfriend to games I want to win!
I love the Pats and Seahawks but love Favre. He is only 2 years older than I am and they are always calling him old!
A Packers vs. Pats would be interesting...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top