Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2013, 07:47 AM

933 posts, read 1,473,214 times

Advertisements

I just want to give my two cents on the Riley Cooper situation. I, first off, want to say that Cooper was wrong for saying that. It was completely insensitive, and he should feel bad. But, there is a complete double standard here. If African Americans get to say that word whenever they want, in whatever fashion they want, then they are opening the door for white people to say it. African Americans can crow about the situation, but if they say the word themselves, then they are just hypocrites. The word has such a horrible history that it should not be used, period. No matter the color of your skin or the way you use it, the word should not be used. If African American football players want to use it, fine. But, just don't get your panties in a bunch when a white player uses it. It's almost as if they are just using their horrific history for their own gain.

I am a Jew. And yes, I will sometimes slip up and say something silly about Jews that, given their history, is offensive. And yes, I hear other people saying offensive things on occasion, but can I be mad if I do it myself? No.

At the end of the day, what Riley Cooper did was wrong. But, the reaction was wrong as well.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:56 AM

2,551 posts, read 2,883,625 times
I'm tired of white people using the argument that well black people say it to each other...

That is an elementary argument.

Old 08-04-2013, 08:20 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,027,389 times
This is like saying if some members of a group (a pretty large group at that) do anything, anyone else is justified in doing it as well. A pretty silly argument.

Honestly one has to wonder about your motivation for even posting this.

Old 08-04-2013, 09:26 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,033,568 times
I'm an Eagles fan, so I'm somewhat familiar with the story.
Riley Cooper got drunk and opened his mouth with his ugly words.
YES - I can blame blacks, the person who recorded that, the media who ran it, and on and on.

The team has told him to stay away for awhile. Other than that, he hasn't received any punishment. We'll see what happens in the future, if anything.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
I'm an Eagles fan, so I'm somewhat familiar with the story.
Riley Cooper got drunk and opened his mouth with his ugly words.
YES - I can blame blacks, the person who recorded that, the media who ran it, and on and on.

The team has told him to stay away for awhile. Other than that, he hasn't received any punishment. We'll see what happens in the future, if anything.
He was fined.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. GE View Post
I'm tired of white people using the argument that well black people say it to each other...

That is an elementary argument.
If you want to say this, tell me why. I think it is a very valid argument.

Tell me why this isn't a double standard?

Old 08-04-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
This is like saying if some members of a group (a pretty large group at that) do anything, anyone else is justified in doing it as well. A pretty silly argument.

Honestly one has to wonder about your motivation for even posting this.
All I'm saying is if these people want to howl about the word, then they sure as hell shouldn't be saying it themselves. At the end of the day it is a very offensive word, and I don't care they use it, it shouldn't be said period.

We have a culture where rappers spew it out seemingly every other word, and it provides a gateway for others to say it.

It is hypocritical.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:39 AM

3,859 posts, read 3,033,568 times
Manderly - Thanks. I hadn't heard that.

Old 08-04-2013, 12:00 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,449,000 times
riley cooper made a mistake and was wrong for doing it but the media needs to shut the hell up and get over it. hes the eagles 2nd best wide receiver so they will not cut him. I actually hope this guy can get through this crap and play this year because hes got talent.

Old 08-04-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David910 View Post
All I'm saying is if these people want to howl about the word, then they sure as hell shouldn't be saying it themselves. At the end of the day it is a very offensive word, and I don't care they use it, it shouldn't be said period.

We have a culture where rappers spew it out seemingly every other word, and it provides a gateway for others to say it.

It is hypocritical.
"These people"?

Who exactly is that? Jeffery Lurie? Chip Kelley? Howie Roseman? You know, the guys that determined his punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football