U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 10:18 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,313,442 times

Advertisements

The record is safe forever now that the regular season is increasing to 18 games
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 02:24 PM

5,187 posts, read 5,688,275 times
Pop the corks 72 Miami Dolphins, you remain perfect after 40 years, what a feat. The Atlanta Falcons the only remaining undefeated team coming in to today loses 31-27 to the New Orleans Saints.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:28 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
Pop the corks 72 Miami Dolphins, you remain perfect after 40 years, what a feat. The Atlanta Falcons the only remaining undefeated team coming in to today loses 31-27 to the New Orleans Saints.

I picked the Saints in my pool this week, the game had upset written all over since the game was in New Orleans

Old 11-11-2012, 02:40 PM

3,965 posts, read 4,610,045 times
They are for the most part pathetic. It's like they are living off of that feat. They will all drop like flies when someone goes the entire season undefeated (regular and post). Mind you, it's harder when you have 4 more games now then they did. Seriously? Actively rooting against the team in order to keep your feat in tact like it's going to be tarnished? Come on at their advanced age I would expect more maturity than that. Especially Mercury Morris, I won't have any sympathy the day he finally kicks the bucket.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:43 PM

14,573 posts, read 22,421,861 times
Moderator cut: image removed

Congrats 72 fins.

12' fins, not so much.

Last edited by picmod; 01-10-2014 at 06:43 PM..

Old 11-12-2012, 07:30 AM

5,628 posts, read 4,224,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
They are for the most part pathetic. It's like they are living off of that feat. They will all drop like flies when someone goes the entire season undefeated (regular and post). Mind you, it's harder when you have 4 more games now then they did. Seriously? Actively rooting against the team in order to keep your feat in tact like it's going to be tarnished? Come on at their advanced age I would expect more maturity than that. Especially Mercury Morris, I won't have any sympathy the day he finally kicks the bucket.

HATE MUCH??
4 more games?? You do realize that the NFL had a 14 game regular season in 1972 and they have a 16 game regular season today??? Perhaps you were thinking of the 18 game regular season that has been talked about a lot but has not been put in place and is not a guarantee.

Regardless of what you think about the 1972 Dolphins, there are really only a couple of players that make a big deal out of the seasonal toast when the last remaining undefeated team falls.. 98% of the remaining players are not that obsessed about it.

And if you want to make a big deal out of the '2 more games (NOT 4)' remember that when the NFL started play back in 1922 there was only a 12 game season and no post season. 12-0 seems ridiculously easier than 17-0 which the Dolphins accomplished in 1972/73 yet no team did it.. and in fact no team in the 80 year history of the NFL has done it except for the '72 Dolphins. So like it or not, it is VERY IMPRESSIVE accomplishment and worthy of celebration. Instead of bashing the '72 Dolphins you should be marveling at what they did.. but that's probably hard to do from your HATER mentality!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM
FBJ

I don't even think that 72 team should be compared anymore since the Pats won 16 straight regular season games. Who cares if they didn't win the SB, the PATS still won more games in the regular season and that Dolphins should be gone.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:53 PM

3,965 posts, read 4,610,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

HATE MUCH??
4 more games?? You do realize that the NFL had a 14 game regular season in 1972 and they have a 16 game regular season today??? Perhaps you were thinking of the 18 game regular season that has been talked about a lot but has not been put in place and is not a guarantee.

Regardless of what you think about the 1972 Dolphins, there are really only a couple of players that make a big deal out of the seasonal toast when the last remaining undefeated team falls.. 98% of the remaining players are not that obsessed about it.

And if you want to make a big deal out of the '2 more games (NOT 4)' remember that when the NFL started play back in 1922 there was only a 12 game season and no post season. 12-0 seems ridiculously easier than 17-0 which the Dolphins accomplished in 1972/73 yet no team did it.. and in fact no team in the 80 year history of the NFL has done it except for the '72 Dolphins. So like it or not, it is VERY IMPRESSIVE accomplishment and worthy of celebration. Instead of bashing the '72 Dolphins you should be marveling at what they did.. but that's probably hard to do from your HATER mentality!
Calm down, I'm not hating. Also, don't try to tell me what I was thinking of. NFL teams today can play up to 4 more games than they did. 2 regular season games and 2 extra games from the new playoff tournament format.
Yes those extra games are a big deal because you can lose on any given Sunday and they more opportunities to lose. They won the NFL Championship. That's all that matters and that's why players play the game. You don't hear players aiming to run the table. They are trying to win the Super Bowl. They don't get an extra trophy for going undefeated. I don't hold them in any higher regard than other Super Bowl winners. Modern teams today could beat the '72 Dolphins but still they get glorified. No, I won't marvel as it is what it is. There are a lot team feats that I find more impressive. No, I don't have the hater mentality but I understand the reality of the modern game and how advanced it is compared to back in those days.

If you're going to continue to be romanticize over those days and be sensitive to the reality of the game then I cannot help you.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 AM

Obviously your definition of hate is different than mine. You think the '72 Dolphins are pathetic and can't wait for Mercury Morris to kick the bucket. ok.. call it what you want..

But PLEASE explain to me how a team today could go undefeated and play 4 more games than the Dolphins did in '72? THEY CAN'T! The Dolphins played 14 regular season games and 3 post season games including the Super Bowl, that's 17-0. 4 more game would equal 21-0 and that CANNOT HAPPEN! CAN'T (PERIOD)! There are NOT 2 extra games in the playoff format, there is 1 extra ROUND which would equal 1 extra game for each wild card team.. if a team goes undefeated in the regular season they wont be playing in the Wild Card round so the best any team can do is 19-0 which has not happened yet and likely never will.

If you understood the modern game as you claim, you would know that you can't play 4 extra games than you did in 1972.. there is an obvious disconnect.

Last edited by mco65; 11-13-2012 at 04:42 AM..

Old 11-13-2012, 04:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
I don't even think that 72 team should be compared anymore since the Pats won 16 straight regular season games. Who cares if they didn't win the SB, the PATS still won more games in the regular season and that Dolphins should be gone.
I think the PATs care that they didn't win the Super Bowl. In fact, I guarantee you they would trade anyone of those 16 regular season wins for a Super Bowl win a second!

The PATs are NOT the only NFL team to go undefeated during the Regular season and then LOOSE in the Championship game.. they are simply the latest. The '72 Dolphins are the only PERFECT team... I know that fans of other teams hate to hear about it, especially those from the AFC east, but its a fact and because of that are considered the greatest team in NFL history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football