U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 01:43 PM

3,965 posts, read 4,616,614 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Obviously your definition of hate is different than mine. You think the '72 Dolphins are pathetic and can't wait for Mercury Morris to kick the bucket. ok.. call it what you want..

But PLEASE explain to me how a team today could go undefeated and play 4 more games than the Dolphins did in '72? THEY CAN'T! The Dolphins played 14 regular season games and 3 post season games including the Super Bowl, that's 17-0. 4 more game would equal 21-0 and that CANNOT HAPPEN! CAN'T (PERIOD)! There are NOT 2 extra games in the playoff format, there is 1 extra ROUND which would equal 1 extra game for each wild card team.. if a team goes undefeated in the regular season they wont be playing in the Wild Card round so the best any team can do is 19-0 which has not happened yet and likely never will.

If you understood the modern game as you claim, you would know that you can't play 4 extra games than you did in 1972.. there is an obvious disconnect.
If you understood the modern game then you would know of this thing called a tie. It's still undefeated and still perfect. Who said I can't wait for Mercury Morris to kick the bucket. I said I will have no sympathy. There is a difference. I said they can play up to 4 more games, the format changed twice since the 72 Dolphins and were meant to be more difficult. Unless you can count then I think we're done here. (Mod edit- let's not go there-OK?) comparing the '72 Dolphins to the '85 Bears 16-0 Patriots or even the '10 Green Bay Packers is hilarious. The game has evolved and the players are stronger, smarter and faster. It's ok though revel in the past because we all know Miami's future and recent past is abysmal.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-15-2012 at 07:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2012, 02:36 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,376,134 times
Quote:
Obviously your definition of hate is different than mine. You think the '72 Dolphins are pathetic and can't wait for Mercury Morris to kick the bucket. ok.. call it what you want..

But PLEASE explain to me how a team today could go undefeated and play 4 more games than the Dolphins did in '72? THEY CAN'T! The Dolphins played 14 regular season games and 3 post season games including the Super Bowl, that's 17-0. 4 more game would equal 21-0 and that CANNOT HAPPEN! CAN'T (PERIOD)! There are NOT 2 extra games in the playoff format, there is 1 extra ROUND which would equal 1 extra game for each wild card team.. if a team goes undefeated in the regular season they wont be playing in the Wild Card round so the best any team can do is 19-0 which has not happened yet and likely never will.

If you understood the modern game as you claim, you would know that you can't play 4 extra games than you did in 1972.. there is an obvious disconnect.

Not only that but it doesn't need to happen based on what happened in 2007

Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
FBJ

39,615 posts, read 50,376,134 times
Quote:
I think the PATs care that they didn't win the Super Bowl. In fact, I guarantee you they would trade anyone of those 16 regular season wins for a Super Bowl win a second!

The PATs are NOT the only NFL team to go undefeated during the Regular season and then LOOSE in the Championship game.. they are simply the latest. The '72 Dolphins are the only PERFECT team... I know that fans of other teams hate to hear about it, especially those from the AFC east, but its a fact and because of that are considered the greatest team in NFL history.

I agree, the SB win is all that matters. It's the media that likes to bring it up every year

Old 11-15-2012, 06:19 AM

5,637 posts, read 4,231,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Jacket View Post
If you understood the modern game then you would know of this thing called a tie. It's still undefeated and still perfect. Who said I can't wait for Mercury Morris to kick the bucket. I said I will have no sympathy. There is a difference. I said they can play up to 4 more games, the format changed twice since the 72 Dolphins and were meant to be more difficult. Unless you can count then I think we're done here. (Mod edit-let's not go there-ok?) comparing the '72 Dolphins to the '85 Bears 16-0 Patriots or even the '10 Green Bay Packers is hilarious. The game has evolved and the players are stronger, smarter and faster. It's ok though revel in the past because we all know Miami's future and recent past is abysmal.
I guess we could continue to throw stones back and forth but it gets tiresome..

I will simply point out one thing that I highlighted above! NFL Teams today don't and CAN'T play 4 more games than they did in 1972.. The Dolphins played and won 17 games including playoffs in 1972.. The Giants last year played in 20 games including playoffs.. 3 more games is all they can play. 2 extra regular season games and 1 extra round of playoffs. But keep in mind that if a team went undefeated they would NOT have to play in the Wild Card and therefore would only play in 2 extra games or 19! Had the '07 Patriots completed the perfect season they would have gone 19-0.. the '72 Dolphins were 17-0 (2 more games, not 4).

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 11-15-2012 at 07:30 AM..

Old 11-17-2013, 11:14 PM

14,597 posts, read 22,451,369 times
Ok Mercury Morris, take it away...

Old 11-18-2013, 01:00 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,231,097 times
I don't think the '72 Dolphins alumni start to get nervous until about week 14 or 15.... These 10-0 or 11-0 starts happen every year.

Old 11-18-2013, 01:07 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,961,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
Ok Mercury Morris, take it away...
I think I just decided to jump on the Dolphins bandwagon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football