U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-29-2009, 09:21 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,732 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Foosball View Post
I agree. There is not enough people down there to support an NFL team. What's more, they would have to name the team the Alabama Bears and the helmet would have Bear Bryant's face on it.
The reason why Birmingham could not support an NFL franchise

1. Only a city of 1.1 M in the metro
2. Everyone in that area is obsessed with college, not big on pro.

Jacksonville is the SAME SIZE, 1.1 million metro. Also, Jacksonville is dominated by college football with Florida and UGA.

However, I do agree with the above poster from the last page. I could see San Antonio getting a team because it would serve Austin too. SA and Austin are only a 45 min drive apart.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-30-2009, 10:28 AM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Reputation: 7005
The size of a city doesn't matter.

If it did, Green Bay, WI wouldn't have the Packers.



I just don't see an NFL team in Alabama because of territory. To the east, you have the Falcons, to the north, you have the Titans, and to the west, you have the Saints.
And on top of that, you have the 'Bama Crimson Tide.....
I don't think they would support it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 02:53 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,732 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The size of a city doesn't matter.

If it did, Green Bay, WI wouldn't have the Packers.



I just don't see an NFL team in Alabama because of territory. To the east, you have the Falcons, to the north, you have the Titans, and to the west, you have the Saints.
And on top of that, you have the 'Bama Crimson Tide.....
I don't think they would support it.
Yes, the size of the city and METRO area are important.

The CITY of Green Bay is small, but GB is near Milwaukee. Therefore, the GB packers serve both cities. Without Milwaukee, the GB packers would not exist.

Last edited by BXNYC; 11-30-2009 at 03:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,362,336 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
The size of a city doesn't matter.

If it did, Green Bay, WI wouldn't have the Packers.

No, no no. when the Packers were founded it was not uncommon for smaller scale towns to have a professional football "club." Besides, the interests for the founding of a team back then are so completely different then what they are today it is not even close to fair to compare the founding of the packers to a creation of an expansion team today.

Milwaukee is not the main reason the Packers still exist, "the Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States." Regardless the Packers are a unique franchise in so many ways, to say well "so and so could have a team, look at GB," is misinformation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:29 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Reputation: 7005
Either way, the Packers organization itself is centralized in a town with less than 150,000.

I don't care about the metro area (and this is comming from a guy who's from the DFW Metroplex....).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:36 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,732 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
No, no no. when the Packers were founded it was not uncommon for smaller scale towns to have a professional football "club." Besides, the interests for the founding of a team back then are so completely different then what they are today it is not even close to fair to compare the founding of the packers to a creation of an expansion team today.

Milwaukee is not the main reason the Packers still exist, "the Packers are the only non-profit, community-owned major league professional sports team in the United States." Regardless the Packers are a unique franchise in so many ways, to say well "so and so could have a team, look at GB," is misinformation.
Yes, Yes, Yes. When the packers were founded, Milwuakee was still a quick drive away.

When the Packers were founded Milwuakee was a city with a high population for that time period. Milwuakee is the reason the Packers exist, without Milwaukee the packers would move.

Going off of your logic.............. the fact that foxbrouough has a team has nothing to do with its proximity to boston.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:39 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,732 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Either way, the Packers organization itself is centralized in a town with less than 150,000.

I don't care about the metro area (and this is comming from a guy who's from the DFW Metroplex....).
But, in the end........ GB is still around 90 miles from Milwaukee.

Why are you telling me where you are from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:43 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
But, in the end........ GB is still around 90 miles from Milwaukee.

Why are you telling me where you are from?
In the end, that's still not Milwaukee's team.

And I mention my area because I understand why people get into the whole [Metro < individual city] argument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 04:48 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,732 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
In the end, that's still not Milwaukee's team.

And I mention my area because I understand why people get into the whole [Metro < individual city] argument.
But, in the end EVERYONE that lives in Milwaukee drives to their games.

Same with Orlando and the Tampa Bucs.

Same with Boston and the pats.

Same with Central Jersey with the Eagles, Jets or Giants.

Same with people in LA driving to see the Chargers in San Diego, which is only two hours away.

Better yet, maybe you will understand this one....... The same way people in Fort Worth and rural Texas go to see the Cowgirls.

What do you not understand?

When team location is taken into proximity by the NFL and NFL owners they have a certain radius of say 100 miles.

A certain amount of people have to be within that radius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2009, 10:54 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,173,700 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
But, in the end EVERYONE that lives in Milwaukee drives to their games.

Same with Orlando and the Tampa Bucs.

Same with Boston and the pats.

Same with Central Jersey with the Eagles, Jets or Giants.

Same with people in LA driving to see the Chargers in San Diego, which is only two hours away.

Better yet, maybe you will understand this one....... The same way people in Fort Worth and rural Texas go to see the Cowgirls.

What do you not understand?

When team location is taken into proximity by the NFL and NFL owners they have a certain radius of say 100 miles.

A certain amount of people have to be within that radius.

First off, don't ever bring up "Cowgirls" when I post. Second, people in Fort Worth don't have to drive that far since they're in our county, anyway.

And I know all about markets and all, but I don't think you get what I'm saying at all. You must think I mean even some podunk, backwoods area with more stop signs than people can have a team. And that's not what I'm saying. Of course you at least have to have about 100,000, but the fact that small town Green Bay has an NFL franchise (no matter how they're still around in that town), shows that you really don't have to have a huge town to have a major pro sports team.

And NO I'm not talking about the metro area.... especially in this case since Milwaukee 90 miles away from Lambeau Field. The Packers market the whole state, but it's still the GREEN BAY Packers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top