U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-30-2009, 11:14 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,791 times
Reputation: 35

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
First off, don't ever bring up "Cowgirls" when I post. Second, people in Fort Worth don't have to drive that far since they're in our county, anyway.

And I know all about markets and all, but I don't think you get what I'm saying at all. You must think I mean even some podunk, backwoods area with more stop signs than people can have a team. And that's not what I'm saying. Of course you at least have to have about 100,000, but the fact that small town Green Bay has an NFL franchise (no matter how they're still around in that town), shows that you really don't have to have a huge town to have a major pro sports team.

And NO I'm not talking about the metro area.... especially in this case since Milwaukee 90 miles away from Lambeau Field. The Packers market the whole state, but it's still the GREEN BAY Packers.
Really? If people in Fort Worth want to see a NFL team play then they drive to Arlington and watch the DALLAS Cowboys play.

It is still the GREEN BAY PACKERS, but in the end the people in the stands LIVE IN MILWAUKEE.

Same with the Cowboys games. People in Fort Worth buy tickets to see the Cowboys play.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2009, 08:25 AM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Yes, Yes, Yes. When the packers were founded, Milwuakee was still a quick drive away.

When the Packers were founded Milwuakee was a city with a high population for that time period. Milwuakee is the reason the Packers exist, without Milwaukee the packers would move.

Going off of your logic.............. the fact that foxbrouough has a team has nothing to do with its proximity to boston.
1) It took longer then to "drive" to Milwaukee to GB, would you like me to explain about early 1920s automobiles and the non-existent interstate system? So today, Milwaukee and GB are closer then they were back then.

2) Milwaukee has enough trouble supporting their losing franchises i.e the bucks and brewers, I highly doubt they are supporting the packers from afar.

3) Foxborough to Boston is what, 30 miles of suburbs? GB to Milwaukee is over 100 and it's all rural between the two.

Please keep trying though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 12:28 PM
JJG
 
Location: Fort Worth
13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Reputation: 7005
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
Really? If people in Fort Worth want to see a NFL team play then they drive to Arlington and watch the DALLAS Cowboys play.

It is still the GREEN BAY PACKERS, but in the end the people in the stands LIVE IN MILWAUKEE.

Same with the Cowboys games. People in Fort Worth buy tickets to see the Cowboys play.
Arlington is right next to Fort Worth. In fact, it's a Fort Worth suburb. So it's not like we have to drive 90 miles just to se a game. Hell, the Cowboys Stadium is 20 minutes away from my front door step.

Also, like Orangeish mentioned, how did people back in the 20's know how big either city was going to be 80 years later? What does that have to do with anything?


.... Before I continue this, just step back and stop making this more complicated than it needs to be.




I said, "the size of a city doesn't matter". And I stand by that. Because the fact of the matter is, THERE IS A TOWN WITH LESS THAN 150,000 PEOPLE IN THIS COUNTRY WITH A MULTI-MILLION DOLLAR NFL TEAM. Period.


You're taking this waaaaaaaaaaaaay to the left and making it about metro areas and regional marketing. Milwaukee doesn't have the team. Green Bay does. A small town has a pro sports team, i.e. it doesn't matter what size the town is. There... it's that simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 03:53 PM
 
150 posts, read 97,791 times
Reputation: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangeish View Post
1) It took longer then to "drive" to Milwaukee to GB, would you like me to explain about early 1920s automobiles and the non-existent interstate system? So today, Milwaukee and GB are closer then they were back then.

2) Milwaukee has enough trouble supporting their losing franchises i.e the bucks and brewers, I highly doubt they are supporting the packers from afar.

3) Foxborough to Boston is what, 30 miles of suburbs? GB to Milwaukee is over 100 and it's all rural between the two.

Please keep trying though.
No, you keep trying with your condescneding attitude.

I have LIVED in MIlwaukee. Therefore, I know more than you about the city. You are WRONG and don't know what you are talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 06:25 PM
 
Location: Cook County
5,288 posts, read 6,363,957 times
Reputation: 3070
Quote:
Originally Posted by BXNYC View Post
No, you keep trying with your condescneding attitude.

I have LIVED in MIlwaukee. Therefore, I know more than you about the city. You are WRONG and don't know what you are talking about.
Lol, nice argument, I notice you don't actually respond to any of my points.

(hint: I spent 25 years running back and forth from Chicago to Milwaukee attending 50+ Brewers/Bucks games, or in your words, na-na-na-na-boo-boo)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 06:29 PM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
Reputation: 47975
People, let's try talking TO each other instead of DOWN on each other.

BXNYC, I'm neutral on this observation. I AM interested in knowing where the fanbase is more concentrated, be it Green Bay, Milwaukee, or wherever. Can you provide some online info to this?

AND, regarding team nicknames; it is the Dallas Cowboys-period. I've deleted previous snarky phrases used as nicknames, and will continue to do so. Also, JJG has been on this board a long time and provides SOLID commentary on the football sub-forum. I'd appreciate a little more cooperation regarding two way communication.

Thank you.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 12-01-2009 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2009, 06:34 PM
 
16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
Reputation: 47975
Also noticed one more thing; this thread is about Los Angeles having a football team. Let's get it back there, ok?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2009, 02:50 PM
 
32,532 posts, read 30,660,496 times
Reputation: 32348
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadjiKing View Post
Because It's too Damn HOT to play football Out that Jont !!!
Dang, you think L.A.'s hot? Visit Arizona. We've got a great indoor stadium now but the Cards played for years at Sun Devil Stadium where it would hit 120 on the field. And people sat in the sun on metal benches to watch the games. I shudder saying it but, THAT'S HOT!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Chicago
5,890 posts, read 6,535,124 times
Reputation: 5361
the Packers are not Green Bay's team and certainly not Milwaukee's team. They are Wisconsin's team. And despite the fact that the Pack carries a city name and the Vikings a state name, it is the Pack that is truly a "state team", not the Vikes who, let's face it, are Minnesota to prevent them from being the Minneapolis-St. Paul Vikings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2009, 04:26 PM
 
Location: California
2,011 posts, read 2,012,821 times
Reputation: 1775
Los Angeles can support a football team without a doubt!! Look at the Lakers and the Dodgers, they do well. The Dodger draw over 3 million year after year. USC fills the Coliseum every Saturday when they have a home game. The fact is, the NFL might need LA, more then LA needs the NFL.

I for one would love to see the NFL back in Los Angeles, and I would support an LA team. Make it a competitive team, and market the team well like the Dodgers & Lakers do, and an NFL team would thrive in Los Angeles. That is something Georgia Frontierre didn't do before she left LA. She had an agenda, and that was to move the Rams to her home town of St. Louis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top