U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-16-2013, 11:00 AM

4,291 posts, read 1,855,533 times

Advertisements

Toughest division in football!

I know, I know it is early but they are a combined 6-2 and the 2 losses are both inside the division. Dolphins and Pats both 2-0. The strength of all four teams is probably the defenses. They are not on the level of the NFC West defenses but they are under rated. I am hoping my Bills, who have been historically bad on defense the last few years have finally turned a corner with their new DC Mike Petine who was the Jets DC for the last few years.

The weakness of the entire division is at the receiver position. It ranges from terrible with the Jets and Pats, to mediocre with the Dolphins and Bills. A lot of young receivers though, so there is a lot of room to grow and get better.

So far I have to give both Geno and EJ passing grades. I think Geno gets a lot of heat just because of some of his antics that were in a way made to look like a bigger deal then they actually are. I read and hear from some that he looks uncomfortable in the pocket. I don't buy it. We must be watching different games because he looks poised in the pocket to me. And to me the INTs he has thrown so far are not a big issue. The Jets are clearly asking him to try and win the game through the air and as a rookie of course he is going to make some mistakes. No big deal at this point. For EJ, he has the same poise and confidence about him. But the Bills are not asking EJ to win the game through the air. Therefore in the early going he has a nice looking QB rating with a high completion percentage and only 1 INT to 3 TDs.

Should be a great battle next week between the Jets and Bills. Mario Williams absolutely crushed Cam Newton on a couple of his franchise record breaking 4 1/2 sacks yesterday. Luckily, Cam is a big dude. If Mario can get some of the same hits on Geno it could be lights out for him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2013, 11:08 AM

3,719 posts, read 3,876,167 times
The AFC East is not the toughest division in football, imo. Granted it's still week 2, I would give the nod to the NFC East, or the NFC North right now.

Old 09-16-2013, 11:44 AM

513 posts, read 573,739 times
Not impressed with the NFC east. Would not be surprised if the division winner only wins 9 or 10 games. NFC west is probably the toughest. AFC south is looking like it could have 3 good teams too, but Jac is terrible.

As for the AFC east, I still think the Patriots will win the division. Miami is looking good though, I did not expect them to beat IND. Not sold on Buffalo or the Jets yet

Old 09-16-2013, 11:46 AM

I'd say the NFC West deserves strong consideration. They are very top heavy with San Fran and Seattle. And Arizona and St.Louis are both good enough to potentially finish around .500

The NFC East is generally over rated every year. I feel like the NFC North is kind of the like the NFC West. Top heavy with the Pack and Bears and then around .500 teams with the Lions and Vikings.

Old 09-23-2013, 08:47 AM

Still yet to lose a game outside of the division. Pats and Dolphins both sitting at 3-0. So as I was saying, best division in football? They are a combined 4-0 against the NFC South.

Old 09-24-2013, 09:10 AM

10,674 posts, read 11,076,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Still yet to lose a game outside of the division. Pats and Dolphins both sitting at 3-0. So as I was saying, best division in football? They are a combined 4-0 against the NFC South.
This early in the season you can't just look at win-loss record. You have to look at the quality of the teams. Both the NFC and AFC West are looking pretty good right now. Just comparing the AFC West to the East I would say at this point the Jets and Bills are not significantly better than the Raiders or Chargers. I'll give the Chiefs a slight edge over the Dolphins and right now they are not far behind the Patriots. The Broncos are significantly better than the Dolphins and better than the Patriots by a decisive margin.

But this can and will change from week to week. And this coming week it wouldn't surprise me to see the Chiefs and Broncos both improve to 4-0 while the Dolphins and Patriots both fall to 3-1. This will be an interesting week, no doubt.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:08 PM

The Pats and Dolphins will both have tough match-ups this week against the NFC south's two top teams. Miami won round 1 last week with a surprising victory over the Falcons. The Jets get a Tennessee team in what could be called a match-up of near miss 3-0 teams. And the Bills get a Ravens team which in the past can be very up and down and so far this season looks to be the same. I give the Bills a chance since the game is in Buffalo.

Old 09-29-2013, 02:54 PM

Off to a good start for week 4. Bills win there match-up outside of the division against the Ravens. Still undefeated outside of the division. Part of me wants the Jets to win to keep the streak alive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or