Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 03:32 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times

Advertisements

We are moving right along. NFL season always seems to go by so quickly. Every team has played at least half of their schedule.

This week's slate:

Redskins @ Vikings: Redskins. As a white person I am offended by the name "Vikings" as it is a reference to white people and conveys a picture that whites just like to pillage and plunder. It stands to reason this name is offensive and insensitive. Really.

Seahawks @ Falcons: Seahawks. A battle of the birds of prey. The Falcons are just missing too many tail feathers and the Seahawks defense is not going to get worked two weeks in a row.

Lions @ Bears: Lions. I feel like adding "tigers" saying "oh my!" and following the yellow brick road. The Wizzard says the Lions find the courage to take on the bears, and lack the heart to show any mercy.

Eagles @ Packers: Packers. Yes, I did read Aaron Rodgers was out. But that Eagles defense can't get a stop at a red light. Expect the Packers to go run heavy and play keep away.

Jaguars @ Titans: Titans. I hope the Jaguars enjoyed their bye week, I really do. Now they can settle in for a winless second half of the season.

Rams @ Colts: Colts. The Rams may be able to exploit the Colts run defense, and they're going to need to if they have a shot in this one.

Raiders @ Giants: Giants. The only thing that would make this game better is if it were played in London. It's the kind of matchup they deserve.

Bills @ Steelers: Steelers. The Bills played the Chiefs hard, but what we saw is what we probably should have expected when you have an undrafted FA making his first NFL start. The Steelers are a shell of their old selves, and that's still better than the Bills.

Bengals @ Ravens: Ravens. The Bengals have had time to stew over being just the third team in the history of the game to lose a game in OT on a safety. The Ravens are stewing over being beat by the Browns for the first time in 11 tries.

Panthers @ 49ers: 49ers. The Panthers are the best team that nobody is talking about. If they win this game, that will all change. With that said, I don't think they will win, and people will continue to ignore them.

Broncos @ Chargers: Broncos. Even in the bye week the Broncos can't stay healthy. We are all wishing John Fox has a full recovery and returns to the team when he is ready.

Texans @ Cardinals: Cardinals. On a similar note, I extend my prayers to Gary Kubiak and a full recovery for him as well. A full recovery for the Texans season is already off the table, however.

Cowboys @ Saints: Saints. The Cowboys sent Rob Ryan packing and their defense still sucks. Meanwhile the Saints picked up Rob Ryan and suddenly they know how to play defense. I studied econometrics in grad school. While I cannot identify the source of the Saints improvement, I can easily identify what the problem in Dallas WASN'T. And volumes have already been dedicated to discussing what the problem is, so I'll stay out of that discussion for now.

Dolphins @ Buccaneers: Dolphins. The NFL scheduling oversight committee needs to sit down and discuss who is responsible for this snoozer of a matchup. At least the guy who brought us Vikings-Giants a few weeks ago had the excuse that the Vikings were 10-6 last year and in the playoffs and the Giants were 9-7 last year, and well, they're the Giants. This Monday is a good week to score some bonus points with the wife by checking off a few items on the "honey-do" list.

Last week I was 8-5 and am 81-52 overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 04:18 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,083,796 times
It's the name that's derogatory. It's not the same as Viking. It's the same as whiteskins or palemen.

If they were the Washington Indians and kept their logo, it might be OK. Then again, the Cleveland Indians have been allowed to have that goofy logo for so many years.

Timeline: A Century of Racist Sports Team Names | Mother Jones

As an Asian guy, if it were the San Fran Asians and there was a respectful logo of an Asian guy, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Pretty decent picks. I think I take the Whiteskins at home taking 2.

Old 11-05-2013, 04:42 PM

6,223 posts, read 3,404,518 times
Washington@Minnesota (the Vikings have too many holes but the game will be close)
Jacksonville@Tennessee (Jacksonville who?)
Philadelphia@Green Bay (losing Rodgers will hurt but this is still GB)
Buffalo@Pittsburgh (Pittsburgh can't be as bad as they have played the first half of this season, but the Bills defense...)
Oakland@New York Giants (you never know who will show up for this game)
St Louis@Indianapolis (Too much Luck on the Colts side)
Seattle@Atlanta (After two ugly wins the Hawks put it together, but Atlanta will make the point spread)
Cincinnati@Baltimore (not sure if this is an upset or not but the Ravens are due)
Detroit@Chicago (The Bears get their QB back and will win a close one at home)
Carolina@San Francisco (No run away but the 49ers should win)
Houston@Arizona (only because the Cards are at home)
Denver@San Diego (May surprise if Rivers gets into a groove but than it may not if Manning does)
Dallas@New Orleans (Dallas is the most inconstancy team to head their conference.)
MNF Miami@Tampa Bay (the only thing good about this game is going to be the gal singing at the beginning)

88-44 for the season

Old 11-05-2013, 05:49 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
It's been a long, long, long time..........how could I ever have lost you......(Beatles)

I usually get to see Monday night Football, even if I miss the Sunday games to whatever excuse I have. The lead in shows a snippet of John Lennon talking about how big Monday night football was. Sadly, he never lived long enough to see whata joke some of this year's teams are. Kind of like my picks.
There are no Super Bowl Rematches this week, BTW.

Washington@Minnesota [b] VIKINGS Does RG3 Simply have the Sophomore Slump at work, or is Mike Shenanigan's offense so outdated and so predictable that most of the NFC know how to stop it? Still the Vikings won't be pillaging, but they should eek out a win at home.
Jacksonville@Tennessee TITANS Will The Jaguars win a game this season? Not this week. Question is, how likely is it that Blaine Gabbert will have a new career stocking groceries at Walfart?
Philadelphia@Green Bay THE PACK should be back. I keep saying that they are not as good as everyone says they are, and da Bears showed that.
Buffalo@Pittsburgh This is a who ill show up game. Probably expect the Steelers to make some miraculous win at home, but don't bet your pizza money on it.
Oakland@New York Giants RAIDERS should have an easy go against Ely, the son of the most overrated QB the NFL ever produced.
St Louis@Indianapolis COLTS Their uniforms are still awesome
Seattle@Atlanta BATTLE OF THE BIRDS or When BIRDS attack 7 or THE ANGRY BIRD saga...I'll stop, because it is obvious the Seahawks can take the Falcons apart, And Admit it, Pete Carroll is the coolest coach around.
Cincinnati@Baltimore The BENGALS N not only have the ugliest uniforms in the NFL, they may have the Ugliest uniforms ever. Which is hard to compare to a horse with sneeze coming out of his nose. Nonetheless, the bengals are a playoff bound team and the Ravens, well, not so much.
Detroit@Chicago LIONS The OP Stole my joke on this one, well, did not steal rather beat me to it. The Lions will show the Bears what happens when you get complacent after winning in WISKANSUN and then coming home without taking the team from the nations most crimeful city seriously.
Carolina@San Francisco About time the 49ers get back on track
Houston@Arizona The PESKY RED BIRDS will prevail at home. I hope the Texans coach is ok.
Denver@San Diego Peyton manning is not a chip off the old block. He's a proven winner to a father who never won because, let's face it, he sucked. Look for the DONKEYS to gain ground on the Chefs.

Dallas@New Orleans SAINTS RULE!!! They have a great QB, unlike ho they were back in the 70's. And Romo is due to screw up big time, and on the road, look for the Bid D luck machine to bite the dust. Especially against the Saints coaching staff.
Miami@Tampa Bay DOLPHINS THIS WILL BE THE GAME OF THE WEEK, BECAUSE WE WILL BE THERE. Yes, Kiddies, the Large Cat and his brother are going to see the DOLPHINS. (We couldn't care less about the local team, which is why we call them the SUCCANEERS. I finally was one of those radio station FIRE SHIANO signs here in town. They look like this.

Which is only part of the problem. See a long time ago, the SUCKANEERS owners got together and hired this brilliant Coach named Tony Dungy, who built a winning team. The year before they won the Super Bowl they fired him, hired John Gruden, who won with the team that Dungy built. The team then fell apart, even with Gruden at the helm, because oddly enough, Al Davis was a better owner (obviously) than the Glazers. SO Monday night will be the battle of the second worse owners, the Glazers ( Jerry Jones being the worst) against the Worst General Manager (Jeff Ireland). You could call it Monday Night F-UPS because that is what you have when you get a team put together by Jeff Ireland against a team owned by the Glazers.

BUT Who cares, we get to go to MONDAY NIGHT FOOTBALL and have a good time.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:05 PM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
It's the name that's derogatory. It's not the same as Viking. It's the same as whiteskins or palemen.

If they were the Washington Indians and kept their logo, it might be OK. Then again, the Cleveland Indians have been allowed to have that goofy logo for so many years.

Timeline: A Century of Racist Sports Team Names | Mother Jones

As an Asian guy, if it were the San Fran Asians and there was a respectful logo of an Asian guy, I wouldn't have any problem with it. But it wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Pretty decent picks. I think I take the Whiteskins at home taking 2.
The Redskins claim their name and team image is an effort to honor Native Americans. This argument has been rejected by the Oneida Nation and even the Commissioner of the NFL, as well as numerous politicians. Their argument is that it doesn't matter what the intent of the name is, if someone receives it and takes offense then it is still a problem. Hence, my argument that if whites take offense to the name "Vikings" because it portrays whites in a negative, violent image, then the team should consider a name change. It is consistent with the arguments against the Redskins. President Obama should make a speech about it and say "he'd consider a name change." Rodger Goodell should say, "If one person is offended, we should take note." The Minneapolis City Council should take a vote and call on the team to change their name as the Washington D.C. council did today.

Of course I don't believe any of this. As I said in another thread, I don't believe people have the right to be protected from being offended. It simply does not exist, indeed it is not even possible. PC is a new concept, and even though the earliest challenges to the team name date to the late 1960s, they can be tied to the advent of the idea of political correction.

I do not subscribe to the idea of political correction. My comments were a humorous attempt to draw attention to the absurdity of this "issue." I am not offended by the name "Vikings" and if I was, I would not expect someone else to modify their business in order to suit my sensitivities. Likewise I do not think the Redskins should be expected to change their name, even if some find it offensive.

Old 11-05-2013, 06:20 PM

105 posts, read 246,835 times
As an objective Ravens fan I advise everyone who picked them to reconsider. Their offensive line too dreadful to have a running game which is why the offense is struggling. They are not showing any capabilities of being a playoff team this year.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM

2,533 posts, read 4,601,744 times
Redskins @ Vikings
Seahawks @ Falcons: Definitely not the playoff matchup of last season... We miss you Julio... Roddy... Weatherspoon... etc...
Lions @ Bears
Eagles @ Packers
Jaguars @ Titans
Rams @ Colts
Raiders @ Giants
Bills @ Steelers
Bengals @ Ravens
Panthers @ 49ers
Broncos @ Chargers
Texans @ Cardinals
Cowboys @ Saints
Dolphins @ Buccaneers

Last week : 7-6
Season: 79-54

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,981,679 times
Redskins @ Vikings- The Redskins get their 2nd win in a row, though Vikings keep it close again.
Seahawks @ Falcons- Atlanta is banged up. Seattle wins, but Atlanta will despite their injuries keep it interesting.
Lions @ Bears- Lions go on the road and get it done.
Eagles @ Packers- No Aaron Rodgers spells trouble for the Packers.
Jaguars @ Titans- Will the Jags ever win? Well.... not this week.
Rams @ Colts- Another 3 yd rushing average for Trent Richardson, but Luck and the Colts roll anyway.
Raiders @ Giants- Big Blue slowly starting to come around. But... is it too late?
Bills @ Steelers- Why do I keep picking the Steelers? No matter their record it's hard for anyone to go into Heinz Field and win.
Bengals@ Ravens- The Ravens need this one to keep their dwindling playoff hopes alive.
Panthers @ 49ers- I'm picking the 49ers, but I'd watch Carolina. They're quietly putting together a good season. Pull the upset here, and people start paying attention.
Broncos @ Chargers- Always a good match up. Peyton and the Broncos outduel Phillip Rivers.
Texans @ Cardinals- The Cardinals are making it a bit interesting in the NFC West.
Cowboys @ Saints- Drew Brees and the Saints get back on track to stay ahead in the NFC South.
Dolphins @ Buccaneers- A Miami win is the perfect distraction from "Bullygate."

Old 11-06-2013, 10:30 AM

14,321 posts, read 14,611,366 times
I was 8-5 last week, not sure of my YTD total and all to be verified when I get home Saturday!

Skins
Seahawks
Lions
Packers
Titans
Colts
Raiders
Bills
Bengals
Panthers
Broncos
Cardinals
Cowboys
Dolphins

Old 11-06-2013, 12:48 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,118,032 times
Redskins @ Vikings
Seahawks @ Falcons
Lions @ Bears
Eagles @ Packers
Jaguars @ Titans
Rams @ Colts
Raiders @ Giants
Bills @ Steelers
Bengals @ Ravens
Panthers @ 49ers
Broncos @ Chargers
Texans @ Cardinals
Cowboys @ Saints
Dolphins @ Buccaneers

Last week : 9-4
Season: 91-42
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football