U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 07:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,467,331 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Several polls have indicated that Southeastern VA actively supports the Redskins. Today if you ask residents whether they would want tickets to Norfolk expansion team or the Skins, most would say Skins.
It so easy to say that when an area doesn't have an NFL franchise. Once a new team arrives in a city, all bets are off. If you don't believe me just look at Oklahoma City in regards to the NBA. Most residents were die-hard Mavericks fans before the Thunder franchise relocated there. Now the majority of Oklahoma City residents are Thunder fans. Things change when a city gets a team that they can call their own instead of rooting for a team that's hundreds of miles away.

Last edited by gwillyfromphilly; 10-22-2013 at 07:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 07:46 PM

9,114 posts, read 15,672,990 times
I think most people agree that the NFL is saturated enough....

Leave it alone. No more playoff teams and don't add any games to the regular season...its bad enough there's so many injuries now...

Old 10-23-2013, 09:08 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soug View Post
I hate the "state" argument. Pro teams (for the most part) play for their city, not their state. DC's teams are Virginia's teams.

You may hate it, but teams represent MORE than just the city they're playing in.

The Cowboys direct fan base includes Oklahoma, Arkansas, some of New Mexico and most of Texas. Not just Dallas or DFW.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:24 AM

16,527 posts, read 20,975,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

some of New Mexico
Yes!

I've done a fair amount of traveling in New Mexico and the Dallas Cowboy Radio Network extends to Albuquerque, Carlsbad, Clovis, and other smaller cities. Ditto Spanish language stations that broadcast the games, one area that comes to mind is Farmington, in the northwest corner of the state. Distance from Dallas to Farmington? 820 miles.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:32 AM

21,320 posts, read 21,890,925 times
before expanding, I'd take away any teams from small cities (say, oh about 110K or less) and move them to Europe. The community would probably be happy to free up their stadium to hold flea markets on Sundays instead...that's what I'd do anyways.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:50 AM

9,072 posts, read 15,038,382 times
I would think the NFL would be looking at Toronto before most of that list (Other than LA). A team in Canada would bring the whole country with it as a TV "market."

Also I think the NFL will ultimately give LA an expansion team. The sky is the limit for what they could charge a new owner for a new LA franchise. An existing team moving there would bring far less money to the other owners, and be a windfall for whoever moves it there. (If a team moves, my bet is on Jacksonville at this point).

Old 10-23-2013, 05:15 PM

927 posts, read 1,209,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
It so easy to say that when an area doesn't have an NFL franchise. Once a new team arrives in a city, all bets are off. If you don't believe me just look at Oklahoma City in regards to the NBA. Most residents were die-hard Mavericks fans before the Thunder franchise relocated there. Now the majority of Oklahoma City residents are Thunder fans. Things change when a city gets a team that they can call their own instead of rooting for a team that's hundreds of miles away.
Very good point. I've been saying this for years also. Once San Antonio gets its own NFL franchise a fanbase will develop for that team in no time and the number of Dallas fans will diminish eventually. The exact same thing happened in Charlotte and Nashville. All SA needs is a chance.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:20 PM

47 posts, read 74,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
I would think the NFL would be looking at Toronto before most of that list (Other than LA). A team in Canada would bring the whole country with it as a TV "market."

Also I think the NFL will ultimately give LA an expansion team. The sky is the limit for what they could charge a new owner for a new LA franchise. An existing team moving there would bring far less money to the other owners, and be a windfall for whoever moves it there. (If a team moves, my bet is on Jacksonville at this point).
That would never happen, cause Canada has the CFL. And that would take away from CFL, and folks up in Canada that have money invested in CFL related activities would be very upset. NFL not going up to Canada anytime soon. Not in my lifetime i'm sure about that.

Old 10-23-2013, 10:23 PM

47 posts, read 74,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
You may hate it, but teams represent MORE than just the city they're playing in.

The Cowboys direct fan base includes Oklahoma, Arkansas, some of New Mexico and most of Texas. Not just Dallas or DFW.

Pro teams represent more than just their city. Take Atlanta for instance. Atlanta is Georgia's team, not just Atlanta's team. That's why the stadium they play in is called the "Georgia Dome" lol. It's not called the Atlanta Dome. Atlanta Falcons represent all of GA, we stand together. Atlanta is the capital city of Georgia therefore that's all of Georgia's team.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:58 AM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,179,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laser99 View Post
Pro teams represent more than just their city.
Yeah, that's what I was saying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or