U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-26-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Metro Birmingham, AL
1,673 posts, read 2,357,171 times
Reputation: 1219

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think Roger Goodell needs a couple serious concussions to knock some sense INTO him. I wish he'd get off the stupid London kick. Putting a team on the other side of the pond is almost as gimmicky as the Pro Bowl. Dumb. Dumb. Dumb.

Roger Goodell on Los Angeles vs. London -- NFL wants both - ESPN
I understand L.A sorta, even though two franchises came and went. But London? Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-26-2013, 11:30 AM
 
Location: Bel Air, California
21,318 posts, read 21,867,229 times
Reputation: 33476
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless in Bham View Post
I understand L.A sorta, even though two franchises came and went. But London? Why?
I'm guessing money might have something to do with it, it's always money.

the NFL TV ratings in LA are higher than any NFL city with the exception of NYC and TV is the tail that wags the NFL dog. Adding a team to LA likely won't have much impact on those numbers. Adding a team in Europe however has a lot more upside.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/pu...rkets_2011.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Your wrong. DC teams represent Northern Virginia, not the whole state.
Actually, I would say the whole state of Virginia is under Washington jurisdiction now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 07:25 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
I'm guessing money might have something to do with it, it's always money.

the NFL TV ratings in LA are higher than any NFL city with the exception of NYC and TV is the tail that wags the NFL dog. Adding a team to LA likely won't have much impact on those numbers. Adding a team in Europe however has a lot more upside.

http://www.nfl.com/static/content/pu...rkets_2011.pdf
I see don't how putting a team in London is even worth the trouble. The NFL will never be the most popular sport in England as it will always be in the shadow of sports like soccer and rugby. Not to mention the scheduling would be horrendous and the 5-hour time difference doesn't help either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 07:26 PM
 
Location: Vineland, NJ
8,483 posts, read 10,458,635 times
Reputation: 5397
Quote:
Originally Posted by Code Lyoko View Post
Actually, I would say the whole state of Virginia is under Washington jurisdiction now.
Only by default, so it's not really saying much. It's like people in Utah rooting for the Denver Broncos.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Tokyo, Japan
6,631 posts, read 8,315,973 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Only by default, so it's not really saying much. It's like people in Utah rooting for the Denver Broncos.
Yes, some cities due to the nature of their location have massive spheres of influence by both land mass and population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-26-2013, 09:28 PM
 
16,521 posts, read 20,961,579 times
Reputation: 47952
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Only by default, so it's not really saying much. It's like people in Utah rooting for the Denver Broncos.
Logistically, you would think they would. Surprisingly, Utah doesn't carry any radio stations that broadcast Bronco games. They do show them on the tube though, but not on a steady basis.

There are a few online sites that give a comprehensive list of radio stations on the Denver Bronco Radio Network. Outside of Colorado, eight other states have towns and cities that carry the games from Boise, Idaho to Hays, Kansas. The other states are Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Kansas, New Mexico, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

The furthest one away is KOFI in Kalispell, Montana, a beautiful town 75 miles south of the Canadian border (I've been there). Distance from Kalispell to Denver-1016 miles.

Last edited by DOUBLE H; 10-27-2013 at 09:29 PM.. Reason: spelling, addition, correction-Thanks Mike!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2013, 03:51 AM
 
49 posts, read 67,595 times
Reputation: 19
Birmingham should get a team
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2013, 05:42 AM
Status: "Beach time!" (set 17 days ago)
 
Location: Fredericksburg/Virginia Beach, VA
10,674 posts, read 11,076,186 times
Reputation: 13950
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Logistically, you would think they would. Surprisingly, Utah doesn't carry any radio stations that broadcast Bronco games. They do show them on the tube though, but not on a steady basis.

There are a few online sites that give a comprehensive list of radio stations on the Denver Bronco Radio Network. Outside of Colorado, eight other states have towns and cities that carry the games from Boise, Idaho to Hays, Kansas. The other states are Montana, Wyoming, New Mexico, Kansas, New Mexico, North Dakota, and South Dakota.

The furthest one away is KOFI in Kalispell, Montana, a beautiful town 75 miles north of the Canadian border I've been there). Distance from Kalispell to Denver-1016 miles.
Interesting. I once asked someone in Salt Lake City who people rooted for in that city and she said in general the Broncos are the most common team in the area. I was also in St. George (Southern Utah) and the networks carried FSN Rocky Mountain, and at the time the Rockies had a contract with Fox Sports, so that area got the Rockies games. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not. St. George is almost in Arizona, and I would have figured the area to be Diamondbacks territory.

I wonder how the NFL and MLB carve up a state like Utah. Salt Lake City is an impressive "secondary market" for a team like the Broncos or the Rockies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-27-2013, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,626 posts, read 33,408,180 times
Reputation: 32335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportsfanatiq View Post
Birmingham should get a team
Ain't U of Alabama close enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top