U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 12:41 AM

7 posts, read 5,764 times

Advertisements

This thread has been dormant for awhile, but now that the Rams are headed back to Los Angeles (with the Chargers potential co-tenants of the new stadium), I figured I would put in my two cents.

I was curious about the future of St Louis as an NFL city specifically. Going back to the early days of professional football, the city has lost four franchises (All-Stars, Gunners, Cardinals, and the Rams), so I'm rather pessimistic about their chances of a new team.

That said, the last NFL expansion was something of a fluke after the Browns moved to Baltimore and they granted a new team to Cleveland (and later Houston, who also lost its team in the '95 expansion).

St Louis has a terrible track record with teams, but is still a large city (21st TV market).

I'm of a similar opinion regarding San Diego, but with four teams in California, I'm more ambiguous about expansion options (though San Diego Jaguars has a nice ring to it).

I was surprised to hear Las Vegas mentioned as an option for Oakland (the NFL will never expand to Las Vegas, but there's no rule against relocation). Personally, I think Las Vegas is overdue for a major league team but that's a question for a later date.

Personally I could see the NFL expanding from 32 teams to 36 (with three divisions per conference rather than four), but I don't think the league will ever hit 40 teams.

Personally, with the changes to the NCAA, I suspect that an actual farm league may be becoming more feasible, but that might be a separate conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 11:29 AM

1,423 posts, read 1,284,752 times
The cities of Oakland, St. Louis San Diego should not be home to NFL teams.
Oakland and St. Louis were dead last in attendance by stadium capacity in 2015 with San Diego 22nd out of 32 teams.
Step one in proving you deserve an NFL franchise is actually filling your stadium. None of those cities show up.
Las Vegas deserves a chance... especially if the city builds a $1.2 billion dome.

Enough with all the lame stereotypes... if you think people who live in New York and New Orleans are hanging out at Times Square and Bourbon Street all the time, you are insane. The Strip is no different. For Vegas residents, it's considered a great source of employment and income... that's about it.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:19 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,270,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0nyxStation View Post
No...please GOD no...32 is perfect.
I agree with you.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:20 PM

Maybe if they do it's probably going to be the Madison Badgers. LOL!

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 02-04-2016 at 05:33 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 05:24 PM

Madison Badgers
St. Petersburg Rays
San Antonio Jackals
San Jose Whales
Toronto Canadians
South Carolina Cardinals
El Paso Oilers
Columbus Brownies
Virginia Bengal Tigers
Oklahoma City SuperSonics
Anaheim Bruins
Portland Sea Beavers
Memphis Black Bears
Plano Rangers

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 02-04-2016 at 05:34 PM..

Old 02-04-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
before expanding, I'd take away any teams from small cities (say, oh about 110K or less) and move them to Europe. The community would probably be happy to free up their stadium to hold flea markets on Sundays instead...that's what I'd do anyways.
Don't even count Green Bay because they have the most Super Bowl titles.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:39 PM

203 posts, read 149,610 times
Jonathan,

Speaking as a lifelong Denver Broncos fan transplanted in STL from ABQ since 2012, I'll provide some observational insight.

There are a few folks in STL that unflinchingly supported the Rams, even through 2003 and beyond when they played quite poorly.
And what Kroneke/the NFL tried to pull here was deplorable, essentially holding a city hostage.
But as you pointed out - and as I bring up to the locals - STL was dead last in NFL attendance last season. And that will not fly in today's NFL. Even the Philadelphia Eagles who had a disappointing season still packed them in, because their fans are passionate.
St. Louis does not possess that support across the board for multiple sports that other cities do.
Finances and disposable income are limited here due to outdated wages for many.
I don't follow baseball but I will state that the Cardinal fans are the most faithful and fervent baseball fans I've ever encountered.
The Blues do well also, particularly when the team is performing well.
But you'd be amazed how many of my coworkers who grew up in STL said "I'm done with he NFL!!!" And that pretty much encapsulates the sentiment here.
STL will NEVER get another NFL team, maybe an MLS expansion team (soccer is popular here, especially with a lot of Bosnians living here.
As a 40-year Broncos fan I would hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland again, but it's all about $$$$$; you know.

Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslevy View Post
Jonathan,

Speaking as a lifelong Denver Broncos fan transplanted in STL from ABQ since 2012, I'll provide some observational insight.

There are a few folks in STL that unflinchingly supported the Rams, even through 2003 and beyond when they played quite poorly.
And what Kroneke/the NFL tried to pull here was deplorable, essentially holding a city hostage.
But as you pointed out - and as I bring up to the locals - STL was dead last in NFL attendance last season. And that will not fly in today's NFL. Even the Philadelphia Eagles who had a disappointing season still packed them in, because their fans are passionate.
St. Louis does not possess that support across the board for multiple sports that other cities do.
Finances and disposable income are limited here due to outdated wages for many.
I don't follow baseball but I will state that the Cardinal fans are the most faithful and fervent baseball fans I've ever encountered.
The Blues do well also, particularly when the team is performing well.
But you'd be amazed how many of my coworkers who grew up in STL said "I'm done with he NFL!!!" And that pretty much encapsulates the sentiment here.
STL will NEVER get another NFL team, maybe an MLS expansion team (soccer is popular here, especially with a lot of Bosnians living here.
As a 40-year Broncos fan I would hate to see the Raiders leave Oakland again, but it's all about $$$$$; you know.
Maybe, just maybe, they might get an Arena football team some day.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:01 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,495,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Don't even count Green Bay because they have the most Super Bowl titles.
Green Bay is an exception to the norm. The city was lucky to get an NFL franchise during the early development of the NFL back in the 1920's.

Old 02-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Green Bay is an exception to the norm. The city was lucky to get an NFL franchise during the early development of the NFL back in the 1920's.
Actually the Packers franchise was established in 1919.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or