U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst NFL Officiating Calls Ever?
Tuck Rule 8 57.14%
Fail Mary 3 21.43%
Music City Miracle 0 0%
Mike Renfro's Catch 6 42.86%
Bert Emmanuel Catch 1 7.14%
Bottlegate 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 10:43 AM

13,222 posts, read 17,969,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian71 View Post
The Inaccurate Reception...
So if Jack Tatum did not touch that ball, please explain to me how it bounced eight yards back upfield.

It bounced from the 34-yard line back to the 42-yard line.

And you'll have to pardon me if I trust the analysis of a physicist over most other people, especially if the physicist is a former skeptic who changed his mind after further analyzing the play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron Spice, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
[John] Fetkovich, an emeritus professor of physics at Carnegie Mellon University, certainly believes in Newton, the English mathematician who formulated the laws of gravity and motion three centuries ago. But the die-hard Steelers fan had long suspected game officials might have blown the call on the most famous play in football.

"For a long time, I believed that the Steelers stole one,"
he said of that Dec. 23, 1972, playoff victory over the Oakland Raiders.

His mind began to change almost seven years ago, however, when a New York Daily News sportswriter, Hank Gola, sent him a tape of the play and asked him to analyze it for a story marking the play's 25th anniversary.

A key to such an analysis is a fundamental law of physics called the conservation of momentum. This law says that when two bodies collide, one gains as much momentum as the other one loses. When Tatum hit Fuqua, for instance, he transferred all of his momentum to the running back, leaving Tatum standing and Fuqua flying to the ground.

What Fetkovich needed to figure out was whose momentum was transferred to the football.

The NFL Films tape didn't show the collision and didn't show the ball striking either player. But by slowing the tape, Fetkovich could see that the ball had already rebounded by the time the collision occurred.

From the tape, Fetkovich calculated that Bradshaw's pass was traveling at 55 feet per second. It was flying at about 30 feet per second when it rebounded and traveled about 24 feet upfield to reach Harris.

Fetkovich's gut feeling was that only Tatum could have caused such a rebound.

[Fetkovich] ... threw the ball at 60 feet per second, faster than Bradshaw. To put that much velocity on the ball, he noted, "I was standing as close to the wall as I could without scraping my knuckles." After throwing the ball at a variety of angles, he recorded maximum rebounds of 10 feet for a spiralling ball hitting point first and 15 feet for a ball hitting the wall belly first.

So a slower ball striking a softer-than-a-wall player could not have rebounded more than 20 feet unless the player transferred some upfield momentum to the ball, he concluded.

"This really rules out a rebound from Fuqua," Fetkovich said. "The ball must have collided with Tatum before bouncing back to Franco Harris."
Clearly there was a grand conspiracy by the fundamental laws of physics to rig that game in favor of the Steelers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 07:06 AM

4,325 posts, read 2,261,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubyanumberone View Post
The BS helmet to helmet call against Gipson yesterday is up there also. It sucks that Finlay got hurt but it was a clean hit. What is worse is that Gipson will likely be fined too. 100% that if it would have been one of our players hit by a player on a "popular" winning team no call no fine.
To me that was a big blow for the Packers. I am a Browns and Packers fan but did they call it an illegal hit? If so I don't remember the call but I do remember the hit.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:59 AM

2,826 posts, read 3,217,528 times
Bert Emanuel non-catch... TB vs. STL; NFC Championship 1999. It was such a bad call that the NFL made a rule clarifying what was and wasn't a catch that offseason.

Old 07-22-2014, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsun556 View Post
Bert Emanuel non-catch... TB vs. STL; NFC Championship 1999. It was such a bad call that the NFL made a rule clarifying what was and wasn't a catch that offseason.
I'm sure that set some Buccs fans off. That was horrendous.

Old 07-27-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beenhere4ever View Post
Do you need an asterisk when high school officials are substituting for the regular guys due to a contract dispute. I think all those calls should be excluded because the whole world knew those officials were out of their depth.
The league had a referee lockout and had replacement refs. I know they really didn't do a very good job with officiating at all, especially with the Fail Mary being the worst of them all under replacement refs.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:41 PM

3,350 posts, read 5,955,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
So if Jack Tatum did not touch that ball, please explain to me how it bounced
eight yards back upfield.
No, no, I didn't say the Immaculate Reception. I said the Inaccurate Reception. Otherwise known as the Fail Mary. From the Packers-Seahawks game a few seasons back.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:44 PM

At the beginning of this thread I mentioned that Bottlegate game would get Browns fans would get wound up. And Terry McAuley was the ref for that game. To me after the ball is snapped you can't go back to review the previous play and that was pretty bad officiating. You're supposed to that before the snap.

As for the Music City Miracle I don't see why it was considered a bad call; it looked like a legal lateral to me and it was in Tennessee.

As for the tuck rule I think that game screwed the momentum for the Raiders. Walt Coleman originally called fumble but later overturned it. While Tom Brady's arm was coming forward but on replay it looked like that he losses the ball before his arm came forward.

Old 08-16-2014, 07:51 PM

Hopefully we don't see bad calls this year. LOL!

Old 08-22-2014, 08:12 PM

I think the James Jones touchdown that was overturned is a pretty bad call in the Raiders Packers reseeding game.

Old 08-25-2014, 06:07 PM

No Vikings fan will forget this one: Vikings at Packers in 2002. Corey Schaefer of Minnesota was called for pass interference. This helped the Packers to come from behind and win. This one was officiated by Walt Coleman.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or