U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst NFL Officiating Calls Ever?
Tuck Rule 8 57.14%
Fail Mary 3 21.43%
Music City Miracle 0 0%
Mike Renfro's Catch 6 42.86%
Bert Emmanuel Catch 1 7.14%
Bottlegate 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 02:57 PM

5,637 posts, read 4,232,451 times

Advertisements

I agree with your physics analogy that the ball could have not have bounced back like it did simply by hitting Frenchy and Frenchy alone.. and as I understand it, if it hit Tatum either before or after hitting Frenchy, it was a legal play.

The biggest issue I had with the play, as does Madden, is the refs didn't call TD right afterwards. I think one official did but then the rest did not. They went into a tunnel at the Stadium, talked on the phone and then came out and called TD.. that raises a lot of eye brows. That makes me think they may not have been inclined to call it a TD. Perhaps they simply didn't know for sure.. its not like you see one of those plays once a game, a season or even a lifetime!

But like I said earlier, its really a moot point.. neither team was beating the Dolphins the next week. What is really lost in this time period is the Steelers HOSTED the AFC Championship game vs the Dolphins in '72 despite the Dolphins having the better overall regular season record of 14-0. Back in the 70s, the AFC and NFC Championship games rotated around the divisions and was not automatically awarded to the team with the best records in each conference...

Last edited by mco65; 01-04-2016 at 03:09 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2016, 03:12 PM

4,325 posts, read 2,266,392 times
Also I would assume every Chargers fan would remember the Holy Roller Game between the Chargers and the Raiders where Ken Stabler fumbles and Dave Casper flips the ball to the end zone. I also think that the ineligible call against the Giants at San Francisco in the 2002 season wild card playoff game costed the Giants a playoff win.

Old 01-07-2016, 03:54 PM

16,532 posts, read 21,003,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I agree with your physics analogy that the ball could have not have bounced back like it did simply by hitting Frenchy and Frenchy alone.. and as I understand it, if it hit Tatum either before or after hitting Frenchy, it was a legal play.

The biggest issue I had with the play, as does Madden, is the refs didn't call TD right afterwards. I think one official did but then the rest did not. They went into a tunnel at the Stadium, talked on the phone and then came out and called TD.. that raises a lot of eye brows. That makes me think they may not have been inclined to call it a TD. Perhaps they simply didn't know for sure.. its not like you see one of those plays once a game, a season or even a lifetime!

But like I said earlier, its really a moot point.. neither team was beating the Dolphins the next week. What is really lost in this time period is the Steelers HOSTED the AFC Championship game vs the Dolphins in '72 despite the Dolphins having the better overall regular season record of 14-0. Back in the 70s, the AFC and NFC Championship games rotated around the divisions and was not automatically awarded to the team with the best records in each conference...
Mco65 is right. One wonders why they would alternate championship game locations. Another instance is the 1968 season. Baltimore Colts went 13-1 and traveled to Cleveland for the NFL Championship game, where they beat the Browns 34-0. Wanna talk about no justice? it was just the year before that the Colts finished with an 11-1-2 record. They tied the L.A Rams for best record in their division and didn't even go to the playoffs! Yep, no playoffs. They had four divisions in the NFL at that time. PLUS-there were no wildcard teams in the NFL back then. The division names? >>>Capitol, Central, Coastal, and Century.

Old 01-08-2016, 03:34 AM

1,069 posts, read 556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Also I would assume every Chargers fan would remember the Holy Roller Game between the Chargers and the Raiders where Ken Stabler fumbles and Dave Casper flips the ball to the end zone. I also think that the ineligible call against the Giants at San Francisco in the 2002 season wild card playoff game costed the Giants a playoff win.
I don't understand how you say the "ineligible" call against the Giants in the 2002 playoffs qualifies as one of the worst calls? The lineman was 20 yards downfield, trying to catch a pass off a botched FG....the officials made the 100% correct call on that play. Offensive lineman who don't check in with the ref as eligible, are not allowed downfield on a pass play and are not eligible to catch passes. How was that a bad call?

Old 01-08-2016, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
I don't understand how you say the "ineligible" call against the Giants in the 2002 playoffs qualifies as one of the worst calls? The lineman was 20 yards downfield, trying to catch a pass off a botched FG....the officials made the 100% correct call on that play. Offensive lineman who don't check in with the ref as eligible, are not allowed downfield on a pass play and are not eligible to catch passes. How was that a bad call?
See here: Top Ten Controversial Calls: Giants vs. 49ers - NFL Videos

They called ineligible receiver downfield which should been pass interference on the 49ers.

P.S. The receiver was eligible for your information so therefore that call costed the Giants a playoff win.

Old 01-08-2016, 11:40 AM

1,069 posts, read 556,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
See here: Top Ten Controversial Calls: Giants vs. 49ers - NFL Videos

They called ineligible receiver downfield which should been pass interference on the 49ers.

P.S. The receiver was eligible for your information so therefore that call costed the Giants a playoff win.
Good video, my bad, I didn't realize he reported eligible....you can't have PI on an ineligible rec....thanks for the info

Old 01-08-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keep It Simple View Post
Good video, my bad, I didn't realize he reported eligible....you can't have PI on an ineligible rec....thanks for the info
Yeah and even the officials after the game realized they missed the call. So

Old 01-20-2016, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It was properly called. The tuck rule existed before that play and it was the proper execution of the rule. Not a bad call, it was the correct call.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IXCell View Post
As I said earlier, when was that Tuck rule even called before this game? I think it is hard to even prove it existed, because it was NEVER called; yeah, it is on the books, but NEVER called? Guys have been fumbling for years, and you never heard an announcer once say, "I dont know if that is a fumble, that might have been a tuck."

"Whew! That was a vicious hit from Lawrence Taylor, but Randall Cunningham and the Eagles are going to keep the ball because that was a tuck."

"Mean Joe Green barrels through the Cleveland Browns line there, but I think we are going to see the Tuck Rule in effect here. The Pittsburgh fans hate it, but it is the right call."

"I dont know, Pat, that looked like a tuck right there. We will have to see what the refs call on this one."

"You think that was a tuck? I never get these things right, so let's see what the refs say about it."

^^^ NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever heard.

And than it was called in a playoff game? That's crap.

It was called a couple of times the next season, and bam--gone! The NFL knew that was crap. It is really more than crap, but this is a family site
The thing is, Tom Brady's arm was NOT going forward as it was coming backward BUT Brady loses the ball before his arm even comes forward. So that call costed the Raiders an advance to the AFC Championship Game that year. It used to be that if you lost possession of the ball, it was a fumble, period. My dad would say the exact same thing. Even he weighs in on the Tuck Rule as well. He says that he doesn't care what the ref said that it was a fumble.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-20-2016 at 10:49 PM..

Old 01-20-2016, 10:48 PM

Regarding the Holy Roller Game, here is a video of an explanation of why it's considered a controversial call: Top Ten Controversial Calls: Holy roller - NFL Videos

Old 01-21-2016, 08:06 AM

3,631 posts, read 1,791,820 times
In professional tennis, they use instant replay that gives 100% conclusive evidence about the validity of the call. They could use it in football but that would hurt the feels of the refs.

Can't have justice with unaccountable refs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or