U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Worst NFL Officiating Calls Ever?
Tuck Rule 8 57.14%
Fail Mary 3 21.43%
Music City Miracle 0 0%
Mike Renfro's Catch 6 42.86%
Bert Emmanuel Catch 1 7.14%
Bottlegate 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-21-2016, 08:11 AM
 
4,988 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Reputation: 11877

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
The thing is, Tom Brady's arm was NOT going forward as it was coming backward BUT Brady loses the ball before his arm even comes forward. So that call costed the Raiders an advance to the AFC Championship Game that year. It used to be that if you lost possession of the ball, it was a fumble, period. My dad would say the exact same thing. Even he weighs in on the Tuck Rule as well. He says that he doesn't care what the ref said that it was a fumble.
How many times does it need to be explained to you ....the tuck rule was called correctly in a " tuck" the arm isn't going forward that's the "tuck"

And the tuck had been called in games before the Oakland game and in games after until the rule was changed

I wouldn't argue that it was a dumb rule but it was a rule nonetheless and it was correctly applied in that game
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-21-2016, 10:09 AM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
How many times does it need to be explained to you ....the tuck rule was called correctly in a " tuck" the arm isn't going forward that's the "tuck"

And the tuck had been called in games before the Oakland game and in games after until the rule was changed

I wouldn't argue that it was a dumb rule but it was a rule nonetheless and it was correctly applied in that game
I don't care, it was fumble period. I don't need it to be explained to me more than once because I know the situation and that is all there is to it and how hard is that to ask? As I said that call costed the Raiders the opportunity to play in the AFC Championship Game that year, PERIOD. That is my reasoning and you think that it was the correct call that the arm isn't going forward? That is just nuts. I know for years, as I said, if you lose possession of the ball, even if you arm was coming forward, it was a fumble and I don't have to argue on this matter because people today still question about that call and why would you even have to criticize me on this? Hey, my memory is not that short.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-21-2016 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 10:45 AM
 
806 posts, read 659,307 times
Reputation: 1041
The most egregious call in history of football didn't happen in NFL, happened in college. Watch this and tell me that these corrupt officials did not fix or have bets on the game.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asz-sof4UoU


The spread on the game was -2.5, which they would not have been able to cover without this BS call. This is like a basketball player airballing a shot and the refs calling it good. There was no investigation in to this farce either which was a travesty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by acercode View Post
The most egregious call in history of football didn't happen in NFL, happened in college. Watch this and tell me that these corrupt officials did not fix or have bets on the game.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asz-sof4UoU


The spread on the game was -2.5, which they would not have been able to cover without this BS call. This is like a basketball player airballing a shot and the refs calling it good. There was no investigation in to this farce either which was a travesty.
But that's a college call and this topic is about worst calls in PRO football (NFL, not Arena Football League or any semi-professional or amateaur football (including high school or college) and that call has nothing to do with bad calls in pro football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 12:45 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
If he had possession of the ball as he crossed the plane of the end zone, the play was over at that point. Of course if it were a pass play, other factors would have to be considered, such as had the receiver established possession before crossing the goal line. But on a run play, as soon as the ball crosses the goal line it is over. TD!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
But the problem is that the officials called touchdown and later reviewed and the ref said that he did not have clear evidence of the fumble recovery and set up Pittsburgh at the goal line.
Oh I know what happened, Roethlisburger runs to the end zone and fumbles the ball and the Dolphins recover it and I also found out that the ball was SHORT of the goal line. I don't know as a referee how you didn't have clear evidence that Miami recovered the fumble. That should have been a takeaway and a touchback for Miami.

Last edited by Jonathan Ashbeck; 01-21-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 12:58 PM
 
806 posts, read 659,307 times
Reputation: 1041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
But that's a college call and this topic is about worst calls in PRO football (NFL, not Arena Football League or any semi-professional or amateaur football (including high school or college) and that call has nothing to do with bad calls in pro football.
Who cares.

The point is none of those calls pales in comparison to this worst call in entire sport of football.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-21-2016, 01:51 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Reputation: 1422
Here is a video about some bad officiating, both bad calls and missed calls, which was mentioned in the NFL on NBC pregame show in week 8 in 1995 by Greg Gumbel, who was the studio host at the time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SKRrZDHpwUc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 06:26 AM
 
4,988 posts, read 11,072,325 times
Reputation: 11877
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I don't care, it was fumble period. I don't need it to be explained to me more than once because I know the situation and that is all there is to it and how hard is that to ask? As I said that call costed the Raiders the opportunity to play in the AFC Championship Game that year, PERIOD. That is my reasoning and you think that it was the correct call that the arm isn't going forward? That is just nuts. I know for years, as I said, if you lose possession of the ball, even if you arm was coming forward, it was a fumble and I don't have to argue on this matter because people today still question about that call and why would you even have to criticize me on this? Hey, my memory is not that short.
Wow you don't get it at all....,

Brady's arm wasn't going forward it was coming back to his body hence the "tuck"...

You say it's "your reasoning" that if you lose the ball even if your arm is going forward its a fumble????

You must be disappointed every Sunday then because almost every game there is a call where a QB loses the ball with his arm going forward and that never has been and never will be called a fumble it's an incomplete forward pass
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 04:07 PM
 
Location: The 719
14,600 posts, read 22,455,116 times
Reputation: 13883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
I don't care, it was fumble period. I don't need it to be explained to me more than once because I know the situation and that is all there is to it and how hard is that to ask? As I said that call costed the Raiders the opportunity to play in the AFC Championship Game that year, PERIOD. That is my reasoning and you think that it was the correct call that the arm isn't going forward? That is just nuts. I know for years, as I said, if you lose possession of the ball, even if you arm was coming forward, it was a fumble and I don't have to argue on this matter because people today still question about that call and why would you even have to criticize me on this? Hey, my memory is not that short.
You are correct and he is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2016, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Northern Wisconsin
4,325 posts, read 2,267,205 times
Reputation: 1422
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Wow you don't get it at all....,

Brady's arm wasn't going forward it was coming back to his body hence the "tuck"...

You say it's "your reasoning" that if you lose the ball even if your arm is going forward its a fumble????

You must be disappointed every Sunday then because almost every game there is a call where a QB loses the ball with his arm going forward and that never has been and never will be called a fumble it's an incomplete forward pass
Well I know it wasn't going forward and I absolutely HATE the rules and I might be dissappointed on most Sundays. I think to this day Raider fans still argue over this debate whether it was a fumble or if his arm came forward, which of course it didn't and also to this day the Raiders got screwed by that call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top