U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Worst NFL Officiating Calls Ever?
Tuck Rule 8 57.14%
Fail Mary 3 21.43%
Music City Miracle 0 0%
Mike Renfro's Catch 6 42.86%
Bert Emmanuel Catch 1 7.14%
Bottlegate 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-21-2013, 11:03 AM
 
9,030 posts, read 16,455,999 times
Reputation: 6822

Advertisements

Let us remember why instant reply was brought back

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:11 PM
 
Location: DMV
10,136 posts, read 11,666,866 times
Reputation: 3181
Quote:
Originally Posted by ditchlights View Post
LOL! Like I said, it came down to where the game was played at. For Titan fans, it was the greatest thing ever.
It was great, wasn't it? I ran outside my house running and screaming after it happened. Easily the best sports moment I have witnessed for one of my teams. I think it was clearly a forward pass. I kept looking at it over and over, and the ball went backwards. As a matter of fact, let jog our memory with some analysis along with it.


The Music City Miracle (Including proof of the Lateral Pass) - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 05:45 PM
 
Location: Arlington, VA and Washington, DC
23,655 posts, read 33,494,314 times
Reputation: 32383
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Yes Bottlegate is definitely up there! I believe that game and that call screwed the momemtum that the Browns had that year of grabbing a wild card spot! And yes the call on Gipson yesterday was also bulls***!
To me, Bottlegate was the worse sequence of officiating in NFL history. You had the late buzz, which should not have gone through in the first place. Then, the replay IMO was not conclusive to overturn the completed pass. Then, the place went crazy and violent because the refs just overruled the call without a word why they went back two plays when it was clear it was a situation fans had no idea why. Then the refs called the game early and ran like scalded dogs because the refs let the situation escalate due to the lack of an explanation. I to this day think Cleveland got over in that game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2013, 07:22 PM
 
Location: Southern Willamette Valley, Oregon
6,847 posts, read 7,909,459 times
Reputation: 12696
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgtvatitans View Post
It was great, wasn't it? I ran outside my house running and screaming after it happened. Easily the best sports moment I have witnessed for one of my teams. I think it was clearly a forward pass. I kept looking at it over and over, and the ball went backwards. As a matter of fact, let jog our memory with some analysis along with it.


The Music City Miracle (Including proof of the Lateral Pass) - YouTube
Best part of that video is at 1:41. Karma sure is a b*tch. If it was a forward pass, it was by a lot less than 1 yard. LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 06:50 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,097,097 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
To me, Bottlegate was the worse sequence of officiating in NFL history. You had the late buzz, which should not have gone through in the first place. Then, the replay IMO was not conclusive to overturn the completed pass. Then, the place went crazy and violent because the refs just overruled the call without a word why they went back two plays when it was clear it was a situation fans had no idea why. Then the refs called the game early and ran like scalded dogs because the refs let the situation escalate due to the lack of an explanation. I to this day think Cleveland got over in that game.

I was at that game sitting in the upper deck of the Dawg Pound, and when they reversed the call after Couch had already snapped the ball (thus nullifying any replay review) the place went absolutely crazy! I looked at my soon to be brother-in-law, and said "dude...let's get the f*** out of here!" Yeah... Cleveland got screwed, but that is the story of our lives when it comes to Cleveland sports!


P.S. My brother-in-law were NOT in on the melee of throwing bottles.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 08:56 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,645 posts, read 4,233,952 times
Reputation: 4595
Bottlegate in Cleveland was the first time I ever saw the REFs change the RULES in the middle of a game. that was truly one of if not the WORST cases of bad officiating..

They changed the rules in the middle of the game. If the ball is snap, you can't go back to replay the previous play.. the ball was snapped and they went back to replay anyway.. bad, very bad!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 09:38 AM
 
Location: A great city, by a Great Lake!
15,908 posts, read 10,097,097 times
Reputation: 7456
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
Bottlegate in Cleveland was the first time I ever saw the REFs change the RULES in the middle of a game. that was truly one of if not the WORST cases of bad officiating..

They changed the rules in the middle of the game. If the ball is snap, you can't go back to replay the previous play.. the ball was snapped and they went back to replay anyway.. bad, very bad!

The excuse was the "late buzz" and that the ref didn't hear it! Nevertheless, you are correct. Once the ball is snapped you cannot review the previous play. Since the ball was snapped, prior to the call from upstairs, whether Quincy Morgan dropped that ball is irrelevant!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 11:40 AM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,645 posts, read 4,233,952 times
Reputation: 4595
As far as I know, the rule is still in effect.. you see teams rush to the line of scrimmage today trying to beat the buzzer in case of a replay.. well, they don't do that Cleveland because that rule doesn't apply there.. you can buzz down anytime you want.. regardless of how many plays have been run since the questionable one.. WHAT A JOKE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:29 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,834,670 times
Reputation: 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Texans v Lions on Thanksgiving

Running back's elbow hits ground, he continues for a touchdown. Should have been called down.

Schwartz challenges play. However since TDs are automatically challenged, Schwartz gets a personal foul unsportsmanlike - and the automatic TD review is negated.
That is an example of the worst coaching moves. Or bad NFL rules. It has nothing to do with officiating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-22-2013, 01:34 PM
 
Location: NJ
17,579 posts, read 39,834,670 times
Reputation: 16147
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
I was at that game sitting in the upper deck of the Dawg Pound, and when they reversed the call after Couch had already snapped the ball (thus nullifying any replay review) the place went absolutely crazy! I looked at my soon to be brother-in-law, and said "dude...let's get the f*** out of here!" Yeah... Cleveland got screwed, but that is the story of our lives when it comes to Cleveland sports!


P.S. My brother-in-law were NOT in on the melee of throwing bottles.
I'm calling BS on this. We all know this was you:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top