Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Worst NFL Officiating Calls Ever?
Tuck Rule 8 57.14%
Fail Mary 3 21.43%
Music City Miracle 0 0%
Mike Renfro's Catch 6 42.86%
Bert Emmanuel Catch 1 7.14%
Bottlegate 2 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Ashbeck View Post
Both of those calls were awful. Raiders should have won that game and, yes, the Oilers should have one that game. Plus the Bert Emmanuel Catch. This was a game between the Buccaneers and the Rams. Buccs should have won that game.
No, no and no, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 09:24 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,616,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Let us remember why instant reply was brought back
This one takes the cake for me. I can't remember, was it the winner of that game went on to the playoffs?

Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM

4,454 posts, read 3,392,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
No, no and no, respectively.
I don't care what you say, it's still up there.

Old 05-20-2014, 10:19 PM

14,186 posts, read 22,747,384 times
If you need use the butterfly effect to explain how a team "should have" won, then they didn't deserve to win, period. That goes for the 2001 Raiders, the 1979 Oilers, the 1999 Buccaneers, and a litany of other teams that just weren't good enough.

The Raiders didn't have to let the Patriots into range for the game-tying FG even after the "tuck" rule, especially considering the Patriots were still deep in their own territory when they were given the ball back. For that matter, they didn't have to let them into range for the game-winning FG in overtime either. How about not choking a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter? Is that too much to ask? As for the Oilers, they lost by 13, and they didn't give teams 14 points for a TD simply because it was scored against the Steelers defense, regardless of how tough it was to do so. And I have no sympathy for the Buccaneers. Maybe if they didn't **** around all game and score only six points, their fate wouldn't have come down to one late call they didn't agree with.

Last edited by Craziaskowboi; 05-20-2014 at 10:39 PM..

Old 05-21-2014, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
If you need use the butterfly effect to explain how a team "should have" won, then they didn't deserve to win, period. That goes for the 2001 Raiders, the 1979 Oilers, the 1999 Buccaneers, and a litany of other teams that just weren't good enough.

The Raiders didn't have to let the Patriots into range for the game-tying FG even after the "tuck" rule, especially considering the Patriots were still deep in their own territory when they were given the ball back. For that matter, they didn't have to let them into range for the game-winning FG in overtime either. How about not choking a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter? Is that too much to ask? As for the Oilers, they lost by 13, and they didn't give teams 14 points for a TD simply because it was scored against the Steelers defense, regardless of how tough it was to do so. And I have no sympathy for the Buccaneers. Maybe if they didn't **** around all game and score only six points, their fate wouldn't have come down to one late call they didn't agree with.
Raiders were up on the Patriots in the 4th quarter and after the two minute warning play that's where the tuck rule comes into play. They originally called it a fumble but they later reversed it and that call gave the Patriots the victory. Even Greg Papa, Raiders radio voice, couldn't believe that the call was overturned. I don't have to say this again and I don't even have to argue with you on this matter. To me, whether if a team deserves to win or not on a bad call, that's irrelevant. Done.

Old 05-21-2014, 06:34 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Raiders were up on the Patriots in the 4th quarter and after the two minute warning play that's where the tuck rule comes into play. They originally called it a fumble but they later reversed it and that call gave the Patriots the victory. Even Greg Papa, Raiders radio voice, couldn't believe that the call was overturned. I don't have to say this again and I don't even have to argue with you on this matter. To me, whether if a team deserves to win or not on a bad call, that's irrelevant. Done.
It was properly called. The tuck rule existed before that play and it was the proper execution of the rule. Not a bad call, it was the correct call.

Old 05-22-2014, 12:33 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
To me, I also say the Bert Emmanuel catch. That also has to be awful.
Yeah, the Bucs got robbed on that one...and I was living in Tampa at the time!

Old 05-22-2014, 12:42 AM

5,163 posts, read 3,656,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
It was properly called. The tuck rule existed before that play and it was the proper execution of the rule. Not a bad call, it was the correct call.
As I said earlier, when was that Tuck rule even called before this game? I think it is hard to even prove it existed, because it was NEVER called; yeah, it is on the books, but NEVER called? Guys have been fumbling for years, and you never heard an announcer once say, "I dont know if that is a fumble, that might have been a tuck."

"Whew! That was a vicious hit from Lawrence Taylor, but Randall Cunningham and the Eagles are going to keep the ball because that was a tuck."

"Mean Joe Green barrels through the Cleveland Browns line there, but I think we are going to see the Tuck Rule in effect here. The Pittsburgh fans hate it, but it is the right call."

"I dont know, Pat, that looked like a tuck right there. We will have to see what the refs call on this one."

"You think that was a tuck? I never get these things right, so let's see what the refs say about it."

^^^ NEVER, NEVER, NEVER ever heard.

And than it was called in a playoff game? That's crap.

It was called a couple of times the next season, and bam--gone! The NFL knew that was crap. It is really more than crap, but this is a family site

Old 05-22-2014, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Then you must be a Patriots fan. Besides, the NFL abolished the tuck rule. If you ask a Raider fan, they would say it was a fumble.

Old 05-22-2014, 05:24 AM

I would also say any of Phil Luggett's calls. One example would be the coin toss between the Steelers and the Lions. That is irrelevant and brutal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football