U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:01 PM

10,482 posts, read 5,944,584 times

Advertisements

Like I said the climate is different now, the momentum to change the name is building and I think that plays a part in court rulings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2014, 04:22 PM

8,793 posts, read 5,672,057 times
If they want to keep their logo, mascots, merchandising, etc and "honor" Native Americans as they say they do, all the need do is rename the team to that of a real tribe. I would imagine there are fierce sounding name available for lease from the tribes.

Old 06-18-2014, 04:54 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,480,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
This happened in 1992 when that small group of Native Americans filed a lawsuit to have the trademark canceled. In 1999, the trademark did get canceled citing that a name that disparages against a group cannot be trademarked. However, that ruling was reversed in 2003 by the federal court citing that there was not sufficient evidence against the name and that they had waited too long to file suit against the trademark. The name was trademarked in 1967 I believe, so they waited some 30 years before deciding to sue. So, all of this is a repeat of what happened back in the 90's, with the same amount of "evidence". Basically, it's the exact same situation. If you read the articles I linked to above, you'll have a clearer picture of what all of this means.
Right.. and the politicians who recently came out strongly and lobbied against the "Redskins" name had nothing to do with it.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:54 PM

5,226 posts, read 5,104,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
If they want to keep their logo, mascots, merchandising, etc and "honor" Native Americans as they say they do, all the need do is rename the team to that of a real tribe. I would imagine there are fierce sounding name available for lease from the tribes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Well, since there actually was a Potomac (alternate spelling of Patawomeck) tribe, how about just changing the name to "Potomacs" and make the logo an accurate representation of a Potomac tribesman?

Is "Potomacs" just too obscure?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:39 PM

10,701 posts, read 11,108,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
I wonder how well that worked for the Florida State Seminoles?

Old 06-18-2014, 09:43 PM

10,701 posts, read 11,108,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Like I said the climate is different now, the momentum to change the name is building and I think that plays a part in court rulings.
But it shouldn't. The law, not political climate is what should play in court rulings. That's why we have laws to begin with. If they don't like the laws (in this case the trademark procedure that award the trademark to the Redskins in 1967) then we have a system for changing laws. But even in the face of changing laws, there is often a precedence for grandfathering. And we definitely don't need to be legislating from the bench with after licking our fingertips and poking them into the political breeze to see which way it is blowing. If this were the case, why have laws to begin with?

Washington Redskins. A testament to the stupidity of political correctness.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:31 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I wonder how well that worked for the Florida State Seminoles?
Seems to be working pretty well for them. They have an "understanding" with the Seminole tribe there in Florida where I think so much money is donated to helping the tribe. I don't know all the details, but I remember hearing something along those lines.

I wouldn't be against something of a similar nature in terms of the Washington Redskins. Naming them after a certain tribe that is. Of course, it would have to fit. The Washington Cherokee might take a little getting used to.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:12 AM

5,756 posts, read 4,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
But it shouldn't. The law, not political climate is what should play in court rulings. That's why we have laws to begin with. If they don't like the laws (in this case the trademark procedure that award the trademark to the Redskins in 1967) then we have a system for changing laws. But even in the face of changing laws, there is often a precedence for grandfathering. And we definitely don't need to be legislating from the bench with after licking our fingertips and poking them into the political breeze to see which way it is blowing. If this were the case, why have laws to begin with?

Washington Redskins. A testament to the stupidity of political correctness.
I completely agree, and that is a basis of my argument as well. Aside from arguments either way, for or against or even if the name should have been trademarked in the first place, when it comes down to brass tax, the law says you have a small window of opportunity to challenge a trademark. The trademark was never challenged during that window of opportunity. So really, it wasn't lawful to cancel the registration in the first place. That is why the feds overturned the decision from 1999, and I'd be interested to see how those "technicalities" have been "fixed" in this current lawsuit. From what I understand, it's the same suit, same evidence, same everything. I also understand that this thing is going to drag out for years - either way. So while this could be the first step to changing the name, don't think this is all going to happen within the next couple of years.

I would be interested to know how often similar trademark cases like this come before the board of appeals, and how often the one perusing the cancellation of said trademark wins the case (before the decisions are appealed of course.) This could be standard practice of the board unless the plaintiffs have absolutely no evidence to support their case. Especially in this situation where this particular trademark was challenged before, cancelled, and then reinstated by the federal court. The board had to know, before hand, that there is a good chance their decision will probably get overturned, but maybe hoping since this is something that is going to take years to settled, that the defendants would eventually say, "I'm tired of this, let's just change the name and be done with it". Of course we all know Snyder doesn't plan on giving up that easily.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:23 AM

15,908 posts, read 10,088,811 times
Leave the name alone.

Old 06-19-2014, 07:34 AM

11,068 posts, read 6,210,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Is "Potomacs" just too obscure?
Not really. My area likes the name Potomac. Aside from the river, of course, there's schools, shopping centers and some businesses, as well as streets with the word 'Potomac' in it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football