U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2014, 07:36 PM

8,483 posts, read 10,469,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ7 View Post
This is ridiculous, the notion that the Seminoles sell out their name for a non-referenced "kick back" is just absurd. It goes to show your thinking process on this topic.

The Seminoles enjoy FSU using the name, simple. The Utes of Utah do the same thing, so do the Chippawas in Michigan. No one is getting a kick back, they are allowing the school to use their tribal names, because the tribe is proud.

I like the idea of using tribal names as team names and so do many in the NA community. The problem is when you call a team Redskins. Does the team do it out of racism? No...that has been said time and time again. Should I just walk around and say the N-word and tell a black person that I'm not racist?
Why do some always feel the need to compare the N-word to every racial controversy. Trying to stir up African Americans into getting angry?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2014, 07:50 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,643,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Why do some always feel the need to compare the N-word to every racial controversy. Trying to stir up African Americans into getting angry?
Are you an ethnic minority? Have you ever been racially discriminated?

Old 06-19-2014, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Are you an ethnic minority? Have you ever been racially discriminated?
That's really none of your business and it really doesn't matter what my race or ethnicity is.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:10 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,420,399 times
The "Redskins" name is just plain degrading, no other way around it. It's like still having a team named Negroes or Spics...it's a carry-over from a by-gone era where everyone who was not a WASP was not a "true American" and subject to ridicule from the majority. Most colleges who used similar names/caricatures retired them long ago for good reason.
Now as to the subject, I'll put aside political snark and suggest the Washington Potomacs, or maybe even the Washington Freemen (another nod to the nation's history).

Old 06-19-2014, 08:22 PM
JJG

13,247 posts, read 19,182,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
No, it just so happens to be the most recognizable racial slur that is a topic within itself. It's just easy to to use as a comparison.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
No, it just so happens to be the most recognizable racial slur that is a topic within itself. It's just easy to to use as a comparison.
Just because it's easy to use doesn't mean it's right.

Old 06-19-2014, 08:36 PM

5,474 posts, read 6,905,318 times
Something boring and not related to any ethnicity, race, or creed so as to prevent future shakedowns.
Washington Stars with a nice boring logo not too similar to Dallas' logo. Can't get more specific though as White or Red Dwarf stars is sure to offend. Death Star will offend people too. Maybe the SuperNova as Northern Virginia is right there

Hopefully the astronomy association of America doesn't get offended and start a lawsuit.

Old 06-19-2014, 09:31 PM

10,682 posts, read 11,090,025 times
Quote:
This is ridiculous, the notion that the Seminoles sell out their name for a non-referenced "kick back" is just absurd. It goes to show your thinking process on this topic.

The Seminoles enjoy FSU using the name, simple. The Utes of Utah do the same thing, so do the Chippawas in Michigan. No one is getting a kick back, they are allowing the school to use their tribal names, because the tribe is proud.

I like the idea of using tribal names as team names and so do many in the NA community. The problem is when you call a team Redskins. Does the team do it out of racism? No...that has been said time and time again. Should I just walk around and say the N-word and tell a black person that I'm not racist?
I take it you are not familiar with FSU and the use of the name "Seminoles." You must not be. Anyone who is familiar with the history cannot possibly make this statement. The tribe was "offended" until the university started writing them checks. Now they are "proud."

Old 06-19-2014, 10:17 PM
MJ7

6,221 posts, read 8,643,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
I take it you are not familiar with FSU and the use of the name "Seminoles." You must not be. Anyone who is familiar with the history cannot possibly make this statement. The tribe was "offended" until the university started writing them checks. Now they are "proud."
Go read the wiki on this, it's clear as day. The tribe has been in favor of FSU using the name. Cite something that says they get paid by FSU to use it.

The Seminoles are wealthy, have you ever been on their reservation? I have, and I have also been inside their corporate offices as well. I know the Seminoles all too well. If you want to speak to me like you know something you better come up with something better than you are.

Old 06-19-2014, 10:33 PM

9,224 posts, read 15,939,217 times
Redcoats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football