U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:56 PM

38,690 posts, read 89,252,619 times

Advertisements

How 'bout the Washington BOHICAs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 02:57 PM

3,241 posts, read 1,606,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
It comes and goes like the Tide. I remember some outcry 10/20 years ago.. but it didn't last long and neither will this one. Sure there will always be the baton carriers but their voices will be silenced as soon as the media discovers that they are getting no traction with this story.

The bottom line is, Dan Snyder has spoken and he aint changing the name.. at least not until he starts to feel the pinch in his pocket book and lets be honest, the folks that are outraged about the Redskins name aren't the folks that have been lining his pockets anyway.... so why the HELL would he change the name.. ?
The Redskin name conversation will end when football season is over with.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:06 AM

203 posts, read 278,223 times
"Generals"

As in General Washington... Washington Generals

Old 11-14-2013, 11:15 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,849,644 times
PGC Redskins.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:18 AM

6,226 posts, read 6,849,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
what a great post.

They've been the "Redskins" for 81 years....why now is it all of a sudden a big deal?! if you don't like the name, don't watch the team play. it really is that simple.

polls across the country show that 85% of native americans ARE NOT offended by the name.

with that said, i'm really not sure what else there is to talk about.
81 years.....That was Art Monk's number. HTTR!!

Old 11-14-2013, 03:48 PM

2,077 posts, read 2,024,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skins_fan82 View Post
i'm a married, heterosexual man....but that throwback uniform on Griffin gives me butterflies LOL

i live in Colorado and have two native american friends. both of them keep telling me they are NOT offended by the name.

Keep the name! Go REDSKINS!
Lol.

"I know two American Indians and they aren't offended by the name, therefore all Indians are okay with it."

If some of my black friends said they weren't offended if I used the N word then it should be fine for all of us to use, right?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:00 PM

165 posts, read 112,247 times
Washington Foreskins?

Old 12-01-2013, 05:14 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,552,644 times
I'll try to stick to the notion of a real new name for the Redskins, avoiding another making fun of DC joke.

The American flag is adorned with a blue field of white stars and red and white stripes.

Thus I give you the new:

Washington Redstripz (logo: a stylized version of US flag with red stripes highlighted and made prominent over the white ones and white stars.)

(went with the unusual spelling of "stripes" because, frankly both Boston and Chicago are better off that there are no Red Socks or White Socks, when frankly "Sox" works much better than "Socks".

same reasoning with Stripz and Spripes.

Old 12-01-2013, 05:16 AM

5,914 posts, read 6,552,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks69 View Post
Washington Foreskins?
of all the comments here, this one is clearly the most unkindly cut of them all.

Old 06-05-2014, 03:18 PM

20,917 posts, read 39,213,491 times
Default Thoughts on Naming and Renaming NFL Teams.

I suggest Mr. Snyder change the name to the Washington Foreskins to pay tribute to the prixx in Congress.

Here are more political correctness matters to consider: I too am insulted by the racially charged name of the Washington Redskins. One could argue that to name a pro sports team after Native Americans would refer to them as fine warriors and brave fighters, but no.

We must be careful not to offend, and in the spirit of brotherhood we must move on and ditch the Kansas City Chiefs, the Atlanta Braves and the Cleveland Indians.

If your panties are in a twist because the name Redskins refers to skin color, then let's also get rid of the Cleveland Browns.

The Carolina Panthers obviously refers to militant Blacks from the 1960s. Gone. It's offensive to whites.

The New York Yankees offend Southerners. After all, there is no team named for the Confederacy. Let's make no reference to a tragic war that cost this country so many lives.

I don't like references to religion in our sports team names. It's bogus to have Saints, Angels or Padres.

How AWFUL that team names glorify criminals. Let's dump the Raiders, Vikings, Buccaneers, Pirates and the NHL's Predators!

Wives and children are led astray by the Chargers, a name promoting irresponsible spending. So wrong.

The New York Giants and San Francisco Giants promote overeating and obesity, a growing epidemic. It's such a bad message, can't we call one of these teams the Organics, or the Egg Beaters?

This is a democracy, no blue bloods here, so out go the Kings and Royals. A pox on monarchies.

The Cincinnati Reds promote downers/barbiturates. Wrong message to young people and the gullible.

The Milwaukee Brewers .... it goes without saying . . . don't glorify drinking in a land where alcohol causes such heartache.

Car lovers hate putting up with the NBA's Indiana Pacers, since the Pacer was one of the worst cars ever to die on our city streets. Don't even think of naming your team the Pintos/

So, there we are. Please support legislation to fix these team names, because only the government has the power to protect us from such bad thinking. Economic recovery, jobs, immigration reform... pish tosh ... those non-issues can wait while our fearless congress addresses the grievous horror of team names.

As an Oregon State fan, we need to change the women's teams in Oregon to something other than "The Beavers." It's a hairy issue but we can do better.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football