Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 01:56 AM

103 posts, read 100,771 times

Advertisements

When he's long retired, like 30 years from now, honestly, I think I'll remember him more for his overall failure as a playoff QB( except that 1 ring against a Chicago team with no offense). Yes, he's a legendary QB, but all of his " legendary" moments, happened between week 1 and week 16. He spent the early 2000s being dominated by NE, finally won a ring only to throw a game ending pick against NO, and recently, scored only 8 points in the Super Bowl( although I will admit Seattle's D was fantastic).

Last edited by Bronsolini; 06-06-2014 at 02:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 04:14 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Are those great Atlanta Braves teams of the 90's remembered the same way? Yes. And I'm fine with that.

Peyton is a master, this is not news. But sorry, Mount Rushmore is for the best of the best and you just can't overlook what he has done in the playoffs when compared to guys like Montana. Sure his teams were never as good but it's how the greatest are measured and remembered.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:35 AM

11,157 posts, read 13,995,357 times
It's hard to say. Few QBs have lead two different teams to the Super Bowl, so Manning joins a short list of players in that regard. So far no starting QB has lead two different teams to a Super Bowl win. The Broncos seem to be contenders again this year and for all the talk of Manning's arm strength fading we certainly did not see any evidence of it last year. He has said as long as he can play at a high level he is going to, and the Broncos have a solid team once again.

Getting to the Super Bowl two years in a row is a tough accomplishment, though. Winning it is pretty tough to do as well. But if the Broncos make it and win, I think Manning will be remembered for being the first QB to lead two different teams to a Super Bowl win more than anything else.

But that's a big "if."

Old 06-06-2014, 08:36 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
I don't know.. do NFL pundits constantly harp about how bad Marino performed in the playoffs or do they simply talk about how great he was.. what about Jim Kelly.. ? How many Super Bowl did Johnny Unitas win... hum? Super Bowls are not the end all be all and still Peyton has won 1.

IN 30 years, Peyton will be regarded as 1 of if not the best QB to ever play.. he has led his team to the Super Bowl 3 times and won 1.. that's a far cry from being BAD in the playoffs. The playoffs are not 1 game.. the playoffs are a series of games.. you can't get to 3 super bowls without winning at least 6 playoff games..

In most cases, the better team wins, not the better QB. - Russell Wilson is NOT a better QB than Peyton Manning and likely never will be.. that is not a knock on Wilson but 99.9% of the QBs will never be as good as Peyton... that's just the facts... Peyton is top 5 of any ones list of greatest QBs of all time and that is not likely to change in 30 years...

Old 06-06-2014, 09:20 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Regardless as to what happens from now on until Peyton has played his last game, I think he'll go down as being one of the greats. Two Super Bowl appearances, playoff appearances in almost ever year he started is no easy task. How is Jim Kelly remembered? Dan Marino? I put Peyton Manning right up there with the best of them.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:50 AM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
for all the talk of Manning's arm strength fading we certainly did not see any evidence of it last year.

Really? I thought it was pretty clear he has lost a lot of zip on the ball. It helped that he did not have to play a lot of games in very windy conditions, but the that game in New England, he struggled very badly going into the wind. It was a big part of the reason they lost after turning 3 fumbles into points right at the start of the game. Any time he tried to push it downfield it was fluttering really bad at the end of it's trajectory....tough conditions....but Brady was able to cut through it pretty well, and he's no spring chicken either.

Yes, I think the playoff failures will outshine his regular season stats when it is all said and done...nobody remembers QBs piling up 400 and 5 TDs on the Raiders in October, they remember the QBs that have success in the playoffs.

Montana won 4 Super Bowls, Brady has won 3 and had his team ahead in the closing minutes of two others.

People will come in here and say that wins are a team stat, and they are right, but Manning went into this Super Bowl with the best offense ever assembled....and put up 8 points...and those two awful INTs he threw are most certainly not a team stat.

Old 06-08-2014, 09:53 AM

50,242 posts, read 46,997,454 times
Elway was on a 0-4 streak then hit pay dirt. I don't think anyone would have thought him a bad QB if he never won one. Heck, he carried that team for so many years with sub-par talent around him. What did the 3 amigos do when they left for bigger bucks? Nothing, that's what. Elway MADE them good.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:07 AM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post
I don't know.. do NFL pundits constantly harp about how bad Marino performed in the playoffs or do they simply talk about how great he was.. what about Jim Kelly.. ? How many Super Bowl did Johnny Unitas win... hum? Super Bowls are not the end all be all and still Peyton has won 1.

IN 30 years, Peyton will be regarded as 1 of if not the best QB to ever play.. he has led his team to the Super Bowl 3 times and won 1.. that's a far cry from being BAD in the playoffs. The playoffs are not 1 game.. the playoffs are a series of games.. you can't get to 3 super bowls without winning at least 6 playoff games..

In most cases, the better team wins, not the better QB. - Russell Wilson is NOT a better QB than Peyton Manning and likely never will be.. that is not a knock on Wilson but 99.9% of the QBs will never be as good as Peyton... that's just the facts... Peyton is top 5 of any ones list of greatest QBs of all time and that is not likely to change in 30 years...

Not sure I understand your position. Despite his unbelievable career that includes a ton of passing records Dan Marino is rarely on anyone's short list of greatest QBs ever. That list nearly always contains the names Montana, Unitas and other QBs with rings. And the reason Marino is not there often is obvious, his playoff record and the lack of a championship. So yeah people do factor in his playoff record, as they should IMO.

Last edited by DaveinMtAiry; 06-08-2014 at 11:12 AM..

Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM

812 posts, read 736,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
Elway was on a 0-4 streak then hit pay dirt. I don't think anyone would have thought him a bad QB if he never won one. Heck, he carried that team for so many years with sub-par talent around him. What did the 3 amigos do when they left for bigger bucks? Nothing, that's what. Elway MADE them good.
Might not have considered him bad....but doubtful anyone would have mentioned him as an all-time great either.

For example, Matt Ryan has not been all that great in the playoffs...but he is not a bad QB, just not a great one. Still miles better then someone like Blaine Gabbert...while not coming close to a guy like Brady or Unitas.

Old 06-08-2014, 10:23 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mco65 View Post

I agree about his not being judged by playoffs, but he will not go down in history as the greatest ever. What list has him as one of the best 5 ever? I don't think you can honestly list the 5 best; certainly you can not, predict what will happen in the next 30 years. A lot of good QBs will emerge.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football