Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 08:19 AM

7,216 posts, read 11,890,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
We have raised a generation of kids with no coping skills. No red ink...........my kid cant give out invitations to his friends at school, unless everybody gets one...........cant bring cookies to school for your child unless all the kids get one!!! Everybody gets a trophy!

Martin is in that generation of insulated kids!! The helicopter parenting age.....All hurt and rejection are bad things and we MUST keep it away!! As result, we get adults who cant figure out what to do, how to deal with conflict and who run away!

This blog pretty much backs up everything you say here. I agree 100%.

A Young Mother's Blog Post About How Kids Are Being Raised Today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 08:33 AM

4,734 posts, read 4,310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenkane2 View Post
We have raised a generation of kids with no coping skills.
Or maybe a generation of kids who just don't buy into this notion that being harassed should be a rite of passage. Maybe people now see it for what it is -- stupid. It's stupid behavior by a stupid player, endorsed and encouraged by equally stupid teammates and maybe even dumber coaches. That would explain why Miami sucks year in and year out. Again, Martin has actually played for a winner before (Harbaugh), so he has a frame of reference. Sure, it's a different level, but he knows a real coach and a real team when he sees one, and Miami doesn't fit the profile. Martin didn't p*ss out, so much as check out -- realizing that this was just a disastrous situation with no end in sight.

And people who are taking cheap shots at Martin right now are the same ones who will flip it around and get on a soap box about how athletes who get into trouble with the law are thugs and how the NFL has become a league of thugs. Martin is obviously someone who doesn't want to be characterized in that manner - yet he's the one being criticized here?

Old 11-06-2013, 08:55 AM

926 posts, read 1,250,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post
Or maybe a generation of kids who just don't buy into this notion that being harassed should be a rite of passage. Maybe people now see it for what it is -- stupid. It's stupid behavior by a stupid player, endorsed and encouraged by equally stupid teammates and maybe even dumber coaches. That would explain why Miami sucks year in and year out. Again, Martin has actually played for a winner before (Harbaugh), so he has a frame of reference. Sure, it's a different level, but he knows a real coach and a real team when he sees one, and Miami doesn't fit the profile. Martin didn't p*ss out, so much as check out -- realizing that this was just a disastrous situation with no end in sight.

And people who are taking cheap shots at Martin right now are the same ones who will flip it around and get on a soap box about how athletes who get into trouble with the law are thugs and how the NFL has become a league of thugs. Martin is obviously someone who doesn't want to be characterized in that manner - yet he's the one being criticized here?
SMH, I don't understand the criticism of Martin either. HE put up with it for a year and a half. Walking away from a situation that could have turned violent and HE gets criticized. Incognito clearly went too far; which he has a history of doing.

And shame on the Dolphins organization for denying and trying to distance themselves in fear of a hefty lawsuit. Classless losers from top to bottom.

Can only imagine what's to come. Maybe the next bullied athlete will just bust a cap in all of them.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:02 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,501,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chickenfriedbananas View Post

Or maybe you're part of the problem I'm talking about! That whole mentality! Everybody's a victim.............How do you let someone make you give them 15K out of your SECURED BANK ACCOUNT!!!??? There is no answer for that.

No........sorry ....no sympathy for either of them...........

Last edited by citizenkane2; 11-06-2013 at 09:20 AM..

Old 11-06-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post
SMH, I don't understand the criticism of Martin either. HE put up with it for a year and a half. Walking away from a situation that could have turned violent and HE gets criticized. Incognito clearly went too far; which he has a history of doing.

And shame on the Dolphins organization for denying and trying to distance themselves in fear of a hefty lawsuit. Classless losers from top to bottom.

Can only imagine what's to come. Maybe the next bullied athlete will just bust a cap in all of them.
Man-----------you guys are proving my point right and left!! HE PUT UP WITH IT!!!!!

A MAN DOESNT DO THAT!!! PERIOD!!! YOU DEAL WITH THE ISSUE IMMEDIATELY! It doesn't have to be violence.....But if it is, so be it!

Martin made a choice to let this guy have control over his life.....even to the point of giving him 15K dollars??????

No.......

Old 11-06-2013, 09:52 AM

23,769 posts, read 28,887,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redd1skng View Post

that's what a "real man" would do

Old 11-06-2013, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghengis View Post
that's what a "real man" would do
There were other measures that could have been taken, short of poppin' a cap!

Old 11-06-2013, 01:34 PM

4,160 posts, read 5,599,476 times
When I first heard about this story I thought....god what a pu%%y Martin is...but I have had a change of heart...

As someone who has watched a coworker get sexually harrassed /bullied, it sucks...a person can't just go to his/her supervisor (or in this case coach) because of:
#1-Afraid of retaliation, once the coach talks to the player(s) involved, well it is all over..the bullying will be worse
#2-Afraid you will not have a job..once it gets out you are a rat...well you may not be able to play ever again
#3 Risk being even more alienated..

Martin may be a man but we don't know how widespread the bullying was...maybe he has never seen anyone act like this-honestly, I believe the whole organization was in on it...and Martin felt like he didn't have anyone to turn to.
I also have heard sports analysts say "well why didn't anyone help him." Trust me, when you are in a situation where your livelihood is at stake...a lot of people do not want to get involved-I've seen it once at an old job-someone was getting bullied, sexually harrassed, and down right abused-NO ONE got involved...why? Because everyone needed their jobs
I think a lot of people in Miami are going to lose their jobs.

Old 11-06-2013, 02:03 PM

11,154 posts, read 10,923,160 times
After reading all the threads and posts on this topic (and being around CD long enough to be familiar with the political leanings of most other posters), I think I may be one of the few conservative posters who thinks that bullying is a really serious issue (especially in our internet age).

The point of it all is not that these victims can't stand up for themselves, but more so that they shouldn't have to even deal with that type of harassment in the first place. There's a big difference between adversity and straight out harassment/bullying.

Old 11-06-2013, 05:20 PM

4,734 posts, read 4,310,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnvrsoul View Post
When I first heard about this story I thought....god what a pu%%y Martin is...but I have had a change of heart...

As someone who has watched a coworker get sexually harrassed /bullied, it sucks...a person can't just go to his/her supervisor (or in this case coach) because of:
#1-Afraid of retaliation, once the coach talks to the player(s) involved, well it is all over..the bullying will be worse
#2-Afraid you will not have a job..once it gets out you are a rat...well you may not be able to play ever again
#3 Risk being even more alienated..

Martin may be a man but we don't know how widespread the bullying was...maybe he has never seen anyone act like this-honestly, I believe the whole organization was in on it...and Martin felt like he didn't have anyone to turn to.
I also have heard sports analysts say "well why didn't anyone help him." Trust me, when you are in a situation where your livelihood is at stake...a lot of people do not want to get involved-I've seen it once at an old job-someone was getting bullied, sexually harrassed, and down right abused-NO ONE got involved...why? Because everyone needed their jobs
I think a lot of people in Miami are going to lose their jobs.
Now this is a more realistic post, as opposed to all of the "Well, I woulda or I woulda never" -- pfffff, people have no f-ing clue what they would or would not do unless they've actually been in that situation themselves, and even then, there's no guarantee that any two situations are alike. I know from personal life experience, the majority of the time, when people say that they would or would not do something, they're full of ****. Reality and internet reality are two tooootally different things. Having to go home at night drained from the experience of being bullied all day, having to go back and forth wondering your career prospects or sanity is more important, and then having the sense of dread going to work the next day is the reality, regardless of whatever crap people want to write in world wide web macho land.

A lot of people in Miami SHOULD lose their jobs. They never should have had them to begin with. Again, even if you have only a shred of sympathy (or even none) for Martin, a person has to ask what good this has done the team. The answer to that is, obviously, not much good at all. I read last night that the Miami coaching staff wanted Incognito to 'toughen (Martin) up.' If that's true, then that's one of the most pathetic things I've read about a coaching staff in a while. I think it basically spells it out: Miami's coaching staff lacks the communication skills needed to do their coaching properly. Not everyone's on board with what they do. Maybe Martin wasn't on board and they just decided to turn this thug onto him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Pro Football